Peking duck recipe at home for cooking in the oven is simple. Peking duck baked with orange in a spicy orange marinade with ginger, honey and soy sauce, it turns out fragrant, very tasty and festive.
Duck and poultry housewives love to cook stuffed or simply baked in the oven. The classic Peking duck recipe has several differences from the usual traditional baked whole duck, the essence of the recipe in the marinade, which Peking duck is rubbed with (Bei Jin Hao).
This Chinese Peking duck recipe cannot be reproduced at home. To prepare a classic Peking duck, you must have a special oven and Chinese sauce “Hoisin” at home, and the dish is prepared in the original recipe for two days.
Visit the Chinese restaurant and enjoy the delicious Peking duck, not everyone has the opportunity, as well as order Peking duck to a house in a restaurant. At home recipe, Peking Duck cooks faster than Chinese. In Beijing, the dish is considered to be one of the most popular dishes of national Chinese cuisine.
Advice from the Wonderful Cook. If possible, for the preparation of the house of this dish according to the Chinese recipe, the duck is better to buy Peking breed. Domestic duck is too fat, has a thick skin. In order for the finished duck after roasting in the oven to turn out a real Peking with a crisp, it is necessary to choose a young bird with a small fat layer and a thin skin.
We offer to try Peking duck at home and use the Peking duck “adapted” to our conditions and bake the dish in an ordinary oven. We will marinate the duck in honey with orange zest.
The traditional recipe for fried duck with a crispy crust and tender juicy meat is complex and has a long history.
The history of the dish
The story of the appearance of the world famous Peking Duck recipe goes back to 1330, during the reign of the Yuan dynasty. For the first time, the recipe was published by the personal nutritionist of Emperor Hu Sihui in his book about tasty and healthy food – "The most important principles of human nutrition."
According to historical data, the recipe comes from the eastern Chinese province of Shandong. After the recipe was published, the dish became popular at the Yuan imperial court in Beijing, hence the name of the dish.
The Chinese consider Peking duck a national treasure, tourists who come to the Middle Kingdom, as a rule, want to do two things: try a delicious legendary dish – the most delicious baked duck (shaoyatzy) cooked in a special way – and look at the Great Wall of China.
A few centuries ago, the traditional Peking duck in China was considered a delicacy, available only to the emperor, aristocrats and tourists. Peking duck glorified China to the whole world, made history as one of the favorite dishes of US Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, President Nixon.
Many world-famous politicians have appreciated the taste of a juicy duck with tender meat covered with a crispy golden crust, which has become a classic of Chinese cooking.
In 1864, the first restaurant was opened in Beijing, the main specialty of the institution was the preparation of a Peking duck according to the classic recipe.
How delicious to cook Peking duck at home: the rules
In cooking, there are several recipes and ways to cook a tasty baked duck in a Peking oven. Peking duck has the characteristics of cooking, distinguishable from the classic roasting poultry in the oven.
Duck before baking at home must be properly prepared so that the fried poultry will turn out to be the most delicious, juicy and soft, taste no worse than in a Chinese restaurant:
- Before cooking, frozen poultry must be completely defrosted and gutted.
- Gutted duck is preferably scalded with boiling water. To do this, clean the bird should be put in a colander and scald with boiling water from all sides. Boiling over boiling water will strip the skin of the bird, making it susceptible to pickling spices.
- Prepared duck must be marinated for at least 12 hours (it is more convenient to marinate overnight). In China, marinate for at least a day.
- Marinade for Peking Duck is prepared on the basis of honey, with ingredients from spices, soy sauce, orange juice. Marinade for Peking duck should consist of sweet and sour ingredients; Spicy additives such as garlic and hops suneli are not suitable for pickling Peking birds before roasting.
- To cook the most delicious and juicy meat, the bird must be properly placed in the oven. Before the Peking duck roasts in the oven, a deep pan is placed under the grate for draining duck fat. The baking tray is placed in the oven and filled with hot water. This simple subtlety in cooking helps to make the meat juicy, facilitates the removal of fat from the pan after cooking the whole bird.
- In the foil, the duck in the oven is baked evenly, the foil protects the duck’s skin from burning, as a result of the protection, the meat turns out to be baked, the skin turns into a beautiful shiny, crusty crust without traces of charring.
In China, Chinese restaurants, Peking Duck is served with Hoisin sauce. It is Hoisin, a sauce that has a spicy, sweetish taste, which serves as a spice for many dishes in Chinese cuisine. Hoi-Hsing is a classic sauce for Peking duck. Often, Hoisin is used by Chinese cooks as marinade, as a sauce and as a frosting for meat, especially for duck.
How to cook a duck so that it is soft and juicy in the oven? Peking duck is appreciated by gourmets around the world, a masterpiece of Chinese cuisine is ordered from restaurants to the house, connoisseurs of delicious food go to a Chinese restaurant in their area of residence to enjoy a delicious culinary miracle.
It is quite possible to make a Peking duck in the home kitchen with your own hands, to the taste of meat and with a shiny crust, a little different from the original Chinese original.
Peking Duck with Hoisin Sauce
Sauce Khoi-sin is an integral ingredient for Peking duck, sauce is imperative if you want to cook a truly traditional duck at home, baked in the oven with a shiny caramel crust. It is hard to buy hoi shing in a shop, but if you try, you can make hoisin sauce at home using the Chinese five spice seasoning.
INGREDIENTS TO RECIPE
- whole duck carcass – 2 kg;
- soy sauce – 100 ml;
- liquid honey – 80 ml;
- sesame oil – 40 ml;
- wine vinegar 6% – 1
TRADITIONAL STEP-BY-WAY PREPARATION METHOD
- Rub the prepared washed carcass with salt, put it in a bag and put it in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning we pour boiling water over the bird and dry it with a kitchen towel.
- We pierce the duck skin in several places with an ordinary medical syringe and release air from the syringe under the skin.
- Take 2-3 tablespoons of honey and cover the carcass with honey from all sides.
- We remove the bird in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of honey, the same amount of sesame oil with two tablespoons of soy sauce. Received marinade grease the duck and return to the refrigerator until the oven is heated.
- Preheat oven to 240 o C, set a baking sheet with water on the bottom of the oven. Top set grill, oiled. On the grid lay duck back down.
- After 40 minutes of roasting the duck, reduce the temperature in the oven to 160 o C.
- After 30 minutes, turn the bird and continue to cook another 60 minutes.
- Mix the five Chinese spices with pepper and garlic powder.
- Loose spices mixed with a tablespoon of sesame oil, vinegar and three tablespoons of soy sauce. Stir and get hoisin sauce.
Served duck served with homemade Hoisin sauce. Traditionally, the dish is supplemented with pancakes with green onions and fresh cucumbers, sliced into strips; for lovers of savory snacks, you can separately serve kimchi from Chinese cabbage or homemade kimchi from fresh cucumbers.
Peking Duck: Recipe with Oranges
An adapted simple recipe for cooking at home – Peking style duck with orange, ingredients of a simple recipe include orange juice, orange peel, honey, duck itself, ginger and brandy.
- whole duck carcass –