Methods of dealing with "Digestive" problems during pregnancy
Heartburn (painful burning sensation in the lower part of the breast) is one of the most frequent complaints of expectant mothers. Usually, heartburn appears in the second half of pregnancy (at 20-22 weeks), but it begins to disturb some women even earlier. Some women in pregnancy for the first time find out what it is all about. To some extent, heartburn bothers most expectant mothers.
The essence of heartburn is that the acidic contents of the stomach into the esophagus, and causes a burning sensation. During pregnancy, due to changes in hormonal background, the sphincters (circular muscles) between the stomach and the esophagus relax, and favorable conditions are created for the ingress of gastric juice and the esophagus. The growing uterus puts pressure on the stomach, which also contributes to this process.
For a child, heartburn is not dangerous. After birth, it usually passes completely.
* You can help yourself diet. Heartburn is enhanced by fresh bread and buns, strong broths, smoked meats and salinity, fried and boiled eggs, savory snacks, pickled vegetables and mushrooms, sour fruits and berries, tomatoes. Drinks should be limited to carbonated drinks, kvass, black coffee. Also increases the heartburn alcohol, but most expectant mothers, and so it does not use.
But there are products that help reduce heartburn. These are dry biscuits, vegetable soups, steamed meat, milk, cream, cottage cheese, cheese, cereals (semolina, buckwheat, oatmeal). Many women are helped by eating nuts throughout the day (almond or walnut). Some people are best helped simply by drinking clean water. You can also drink weak tea, cocoa with milk, jelly.
* There are no universal tips in this case, so try to trace the answer to which foods heartburn occurs.
* At night it is better not to get enough. Sleep on a high pillow. Do not lie down and bend over immediately after eating.
* If you have not yet quit smoking, it can also exacerbate heartburn.
If diet and high pillow do not help, you have to resort to the help of drugs.
When pregnancy can be used Rennie or Phosphalugel. These are antacids that neutralize the acid in the stomach, which is the cause of heartburn. The use of Almagel is also permissible, but its use during pregnancy for more than 3 days in a row is not recommended.
Drugs do not replace diets. They should not be abused, because with prolonged use, some drugs lead to the opposite effect – an increase in the acidity of the stomach.
You should not use such a popular tool as soda solution.
Although it relieves the symptoms of heartburn for a while, the effect is short-lived. And with regular use in the body there are violations of the water-salt balance.
Constipation is another common problem for pregnant women. Like heartburn, constipation occurs due to the relaxing effect of hormones on the smooth muscles of the gastrointestinal tract.
Fighting constipation is not only due to the fact that they cause a feeling of discomfort. Constipation also increases the risk of hemorrhoids, and in some cases can cause increased uterine tone and threatened abortion.
* It is necessary to consume more foods that help regulate timely bowel movements. These are mainly products that contain fiber and have a laxative effect: vegetables, fruits, wheat bran. Fermented milk products (kefir, yoghurts, yogurt) are also helpful. Good help with constipation dried fruits – prunes, dried apricots, raisins.
* It is necessary to limit the rich products, pasta, semolina, strong tea, cocoa. It is important not to eat dry. Need to drink enough. Especially good effect have mineral waters. In the morning, before breakfast, it is recommended to drink a glass of clean drinking or mineral water.
* If the diet is ineffective, you can use some medications. In the rectum, you can put candles with glycerin. Orally (through the mouth), you can take drugs Dufalak or Tranzipeg. If the problems with the chair permanent, better help Dufalak. Tranzipeg is often prescribed one-time, long-term use is not recommended.
Belching and flatulence (increased gas formation)
These problems may worry future mothers from the very early stages of pregnancy. Most often, because of this, women no longer feel discomfort, but feel awkward.
* To reduce gas formation, it is necessary to limit the consumption of such products as legumes, onions, and cabbage. Fatty, fried, and spicy foods also increase belching and flatulence. Reduce gas formation cream, sour cream, cottage cheese, lean meat.
* Gas formation increases with constipation. Therefore, if you cope with constipation, then this problem can be resolved by itself.
* With severe symptoms, the doctor may sometimes prescribe drugs that reduce gas formation, such as Espumizan.
Nausea and vomiting
These problems are usually relevant in the first 3-4 months of pregnancy. If they continue further, it is necessary to conduct an examination in order to check whether the liver function is not impaired (to evaluate the biochemical blood test, including liver enzymes – AST and ALT, to be tested for viral hepatitis).
* In mild toxemia dispense with drugs. Power correction required. On an empty stomach, nausea is stronger, so it should not be empty. You can keep unsweetened cookies, crackers, nuts or dried fruits on the bedside table to have a snack before breakfast without getting out of bed. You can even have a snack at night if you wake up.
* Food is better to take often, but in small portions. Food should be boiled or steamed, fried should be avoided. You can eat baby food, as it is better absorbed.
* Well removes the nausea taste and smell of lemon. It is recommended to suck a slice of lemon when there is an attack of nausea. Ginger is also an effective remedy. It should be added to tea or just chew.
* Calming effects on the digestive system have products with mint (for example, tea with mint). You can chew mint gum. However, at a later date, mint can cause heartburn. Nausea can be overcome by sucking lollipops. Many are greatly helped by sucking on pieces of ice or frozen fruit juice (preferably citrus).
* You need to drink a lot to avoid dehydration, especially with frequently repeated vomiting. Mineral water is useful for restoring the water-salt balance in the body. You can also drink water with lemon or weak green tea.
* Vitamins for pregnant women sometimes help reduce nausea. But for some, they on the contrary strengthen it, and even cause vomiting, then it is better to refuse vitamins.
* Toxicosis may increase due to excitation of the central nervous system, so it is very important to be calm, not to worry. In addition, there is a pattern that the more you think about toxicosis, the stronger the nausea. To calm your body you need to brew and drink Valerian or motherwort herb, Persen is allowed.
* When identifying abnormal liver function, hepatoprotectors are prescribed (drugs aimed at improving liver function). For example, Hofitol (herbal medicine) or Essentiale. These drugs are approved for use in all periods of pregnancy. Multivitamins, if the liver suffers, cancel.
If, despite the implementation of all recommendations, nausea and vomiting persist, you should consult a doctor so that he prescribed medications or sent to a day hospital, and in severe cases hospitalized.
It must be remembered that although most often problems with digestion are caused by pregnancy and after it disappear, sometimes they can be a sign of chronic diseases of the liver and gastrointestinal tract, therefore all complaints should be reported to your doctor, with strongly pronounced symptoms, consultation with a gastroenterologist is recommended.
And of course you should not prescribe yourself medications, and even more so, start with this treatment, without adjusting the diet.