The pain that occurs in the left hypochondrium is an alarming signal of the body, indicating the development of some pathology. These can be disruptions in the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract, urinary, cardiovascular, thoracic and other disorders. Therefore, it is difficult to determine the disease on your own. Only a detailed description of the nature and degree of pain will allow the doctor to identify the true cause of the pain syndrome.
Diseases causing pain in the left hypochondrium
One of the most obvious reasons for the occurrence of such painful manifestations is pneumonia. The degree of pain is aggravated by attacks of dry cough, heavy breathing. Excessive sweating, alternating with chills and weakness, further confirms the presence of this disease in humans.
Intercostal neuralgia can also cause pain under the left side. There are unpleasant sensations at the time of compression of the nerves. They can be sharp, piercing, aching. The discomfort on the left under the ribs is aggravated at the time of coughing, taking a deep breath, making a sharp turn, or pressing on the left side of the body.
The pain of the ulcer and gastritis is often accompanied by heartburn, vomiting, nausea. Depending on the type of gastritis, it can occur both before and after meals and have a different nature and degree of intensity. When the ulcer markedly reduced weight. The development of such a terrible complication, like perforation, is accompanied by the formation of a through hole through which the contents of the stomach can enter the peritoneum. At the same time there is a sudden acute dagger pain, a rather strong tension of the muscles of the abdominal wall, tachycardia, fever, vomiting with black or bloody contents. Severe pain makes the patient take the position of the embryo – lie on his side and pull his legs under him. Sometimes a person loses consciousness.
In stomach cancer, the pain under the "spoon" or in the left hypochondrium has a prolonged nature, appears, regardless of eating, but against the background of a general decrease in appetite. At the same time, there are gagging and expectoration of yellowish thick mucus, and in later periods – a change in the color of feces to dark.
Coronary heart disease, cardiomyopathy may well provoke pain under the left ribs. The nature of the pain is different. The usual location is the region of the heart, but in some cases it may radiate in the hypochondrium.
Pain in left hypochondrium when inhaling
This type of pain syndrome is most often manifested after severe physical injuries, falls, injuries, and fractures of the ribs.
In some cases, intercostal neuralgia and Tietze syndrome, an inflammation of the cartilage connecting the ribs to the sternum, can lead to pain when inhaling.
Another reason is inflammation of the pleural membranes of the lungs or bacterial infection (staphylococcus, streptococcus, Escherichia coli), which affects the pleura.
As evidenced by the nature of pain in the left hypochondrium
Let us dwell in more detail on the characteristics of painful manifestations on the left side of the hypochondrium.
For a long time, dull pain may indicate diseases such as chronic cholecystitis, gastritis, pancreatitis. In addition, the aching pain causes suspicion of angina, which may be a precursor of a developing heart attack.
The sudden manifestation of sharp stabbing pain is a dangerous signal for a person. Such pain in the left hypochondrium indicates a serious disturbance in the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract. It should be a good reason to go to a doctor and then assess the condition of the spleen and renal pelvis.
If the sensations under the left rib have the character of surrounding pain, then acute pancreatitis, neuralgia in the region of the ribs, osteochondrosis of the thoracic vertebra can be suspected.
How to determine the pathology at the site of pain
Pain in the left hypochondrium in front may indicate such pathologies as:
- inflammation of the intercostal muscles caused by an infectious disease – shingles, or hypothermia;
- spleen pathology – its increase resulting from the lesion of an organ with viral, bacterial infectious agents or as a result of spleen infarction;
- angina associated with a decrease in blood flow to the heart;
- costal chondrite, indicating inflammation of cartilage tissue after heavy physical exertion or injuries.
The appearance of pain in the left upper quadrant may indicate:
- kidney disease;
- lumbar osteochondrosis;
- oncology in the left lung;
- left-sided dry pleurisy.
Pain in the left hypochondrium at the side can be provoked:
- heart disease;
- diseases of the digestive system;
- diseases of the left kidney,
- pathologies of the ureter,
- in women, diseases of the uterine appendages.
Pain in left hypochondrium after eating
If you notice that pain occurs most often after eating, analyze your diet. Often the cause of such conditions is overeating, alcohol abuse, the use of poor-quality food in the diet, in addition – constant physical overload. At the initial stage of development of pathologies, it is enough just to return to a healthy lifestyle, and the pains will pass by themselves.
More serious causes of pain in the left hypochondrium after eating include the following pathologies:
- Exhausting dull prolonged pain, as a rule, is the result of inflammation of the gastric mucosa – gastritis. This disease is indirectly indicated by diarrhea, a feeling of bloating, vomiting and / or belching with an unpleasant odor.
- Stitching acute pain immediately after a very small meal indicates the presence of tumors or hernias of the diaphragm. Often, the discomfort is aggravated by shortness of breath.
- Shooting sharp pain that occurs after eating, and at another time, and aggravated by inhaling or turning the body – a sign of intercostal neuralgia.
- Intolerable, acute pain, disturbing only after eating, is a bright symptom of pancreatitis. A sharp pain in acute pancreatitis can even lead to a painful shock. When purulent pancreatitis occurs in parallel, vomiting with a sharp increase in body temperature.
- Constant aching pain after eating – evidence of pathologies of the duodenum. When duodenal ulcer additional symptoms of the disease may be a sharp change in complexion, loss of appetite, manifestation of vomiting or nausea.
Summing up, We focus on the fact that in the event of pain in the left hypochondrium, it is very important to consult a specialist in a timely manner.. This will prevent the further development of serious enough and sometimes even life-threatening diseases.
Betsik Julia, medical reviewer
19,303 total views, 26 views today