It is rather difficult to tolerate hungry pains in the stomach, as they are aching in nature and decrease only after eating. This symptom indicates the development of trophic changes, which over time lead to organ dysfunction.
Causes of pain
Pathological processes that occur in the digestive tract, cause tissue destruction, irritation of nerve receptors, pain. Factors that influence the appearance of discomfort:
- Spasm of smooth muscles near the place affected by erosion or an ulcer.
- Reproduction of the bacterium Helicobacter pylori in the mucous layer of the stomach.
- The change in motor activity of the body.
- Increasing the content of hydrochloric acid, as well as increasing its production at night.
- Irritation of nerve receptors.
Why do such pathologies arise?
- Deep, inflamed epithelial defect.
- Erosion of the mucosa.
- Malignant tumor.
- Hormonal disbalance.
A common cause of hunger pains is a stomach ulcer, which results in:
- Unbalanced nutrition.
- Excessive use of alcohol, hot spices, smoking.
- Long-term drug treatment with drugs that damage the gastric mucosa, for example, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
The symptom of hunger pains is also characteristic of a duodenal ulcer. Differentiate two diseases can only be a doctor.
How to recognize hunger pains
Discomfort occurs in the area under the spoon, increases with pressure and goes away if you drink a glass of water or eat. At the same time, the patient, despite the feeling of hunger, has a decrease in appetite, which is caused by the psychogenic reaction of the body to an existing disorder.
If the pathological process has arisen in the stomach, the discomfort appears half an hour after eating. Localization of ulcers in the duodenal mucosa, leads to discomfort after a few hours. These diseases are characterized by hungry pains at night and in the morning.
Similar symptoms can cause some other pathologies (opisthorchiasis, trematodosis, fascioliasis), therefore, to make a correct diagnosis, you need to consult a doctor, a detailed examination of the body.
Patients describe pain in different ways:
Its intensity depends on the degree of organ damage, individual sensitivity. Most patients experience exacerbation of pain on an empty stomach.
Based only on the subjective sensations and complaints of the patient, it is difficult to make a correct diagnosis. However, a specialist may suggest the nature of the pathology. For example, pulsating discomfort is caused by contraction of the smooth muscles of the digestive tract, and sucking is caused by erosive damage to the mucous membrane.
Hungry pains at night and in the morning
Pain in the morning indicates the presence of erosion or ulcers in the mucous membrane of the duodenum. The peak of exacerbation occurs in 3-5 hours. In addition, duodenitis causes a strong feeling of hunger and weakness. Unpleasant sensations stoped pretty easily – they disappear if, when hungry, to drink a glass of water. Relief also occurs after vomiting, due to the reduction of irritable effects on nerve endings. However, this process is not normal for the human body and has its drawbacks.
Night discomfort indicates trophic changes in the antrum of the stomach, since the problems in the pyloric part are not associated with food intake. Additionally, it may feel nauseous, rumbling in the stomach, disturbing dizziness or sleep disturbance. Poor digestion of food leads to increased gas formation in the intestines or diarrhea.
Accurately identifying the cause of the pain and its location will help fibrogastroduodenoskopii when taking a biopsy to exclude cancer tumors.
The examination is carried out by a gastroenterologist. Before that, he listens to the patient’s complaints, assesses the time of pain, its nature and location.
For the study, a special endoscope is used, which has the form of a long narrow tube with an attached optical device. The patient swallows this device, and the doctor pushes the probe further along the digestive tract.
Gastroscopy is performed on an empty stomach in the hospital. This method allows you to visually see and evaluate the state of the mucous membrane of the stomach and duodenum 12, as well as analyze the nature of erosion and take a biopsy.
The procedure is very informative, so it is always used for diagnosis, despite the aversion of patients to it. The technique is painless, takes no longer than 5 minutes, but provokes emetic urges that are quite difficult to contain.
If it is necessary to obtain additional information, the doctor may prescribe an ultrasound or x-ray examination.
Treatment of hunger pains
After identifying the cause of pain, the doctor is determined with the method of therapy. Medical scheme includes several areas:
- Normalization of the motility of the digestive tract. To do this, use drugs based on domperidone or metoclopramide.
- Relieving symptoms with painkillers or antispasmodics (Buscopan, Baralgin, No-shpa). Antacids (Maalox, Almagel, Phosphalugel) are capable of reducing the irritation of the damaged mucosa. Self-medication with analgin or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs may be harmful.
- Fighting Helicobacter pylori. The danger of bacteria to the health of the stomach has already been proven. If the pathogen is identified, its removal is mandatory for successful therapy. The doctor prescribes a special treatment regimen, which includes an antibacterial drug and a proton pump inhibitor (it provides a gastroprotective effect).
- Accelerating the healing of erosions and reducing inflammation. Bismuth-based drugs will be effective – De-nol, Bismol.
In addition to drug treatment, benefit from folk remedies. They are especially effective in the initial stages of the disease. When gastritis and erosive processes of the duodenum are used:
- Calamus rhizome. Any reason for pain in the stomach is accompanied by inflammation, which this plant successfully fights, also having a choleretic effect and stimulating the production of pancreatic enzymes. The broth is prepared from a ratio of 200 ml of water per 10 g of raw material. The liquid should be kept on low heat for 15 minutes, then cooled and taken 50 ml 4 times a day.
- Pharmaceutical camomile. The technology of cooking broth is the same. The tool helps to remove spasms of the gastrointestinal tract and accelerates the healing of tissues. It is necessary to drink liquid in the morning and during the day on an empty stomach.
- Plantain. The plant is known for its enveloping and regenerating effect due to its high mucus content. For treatment, use leaves or juice that successfully relieve discomfort and protect the mucous membrane.
During the treatment of pathologies of the stomach, it is important to follow a diet. Proper nutrition will help reduce the load on the digestive tract and restore the structure of the mucous. If the stomach starts to hurt, it is recommended to drink a glass of water, kefir, jelly or eat. Since the feeling of hunger is constantly present in the patient, food intake should be frequent and in small portions.
Prohibited for use:
- Fatty dishes.
- Orange juice.
- Smoked products.
- Fried food.
Activate the secretion of gastric secretion carbonated drinks, eggs, sour berries, so they also need to be excluded from the diet.
With increased acidity and ulcers are useful:
- Viscous porridge.
- Fruits (bananas, sweet pears, apples).
- Dried boiled vegetables.
- Lean fish, meat, steamed.
- Light soups.
- Dairy products.
- Pasta from durum wheat.
It is important that the food is warm and preferably has the consistency of mashed potatoes.
Mineral alkaline water or soda solution, which neutralizes acidic gastric juice, will help reduce pain, rumbling in the stomach and nausea. Such agents can be used in acute conditions, however, their action is short. Regular use of therapeutic fluids prevents aggressive mucous attack by secretions.
Pain in the stomach is always quite strong, so people do not delay on a visit to the doctor. Complications often occur due to improper treatment and failure to follow the recommended diet.
The danger of inflammatory and destructive processes in the gastrointestinal tract lies in the high probability of perforated organ damage. This causes acute pain, bleeding, inability to digest food. It is also possible the development of pancreatitis or cholecystitis.
Untreated gastritis or duodenitis can become chronic with characteristic aching pains and mild nausea. The appearance of blood in the feces indicates the progression of the disease and requires urgent medical attention.