Women of the East have always attracted the views of their mysterious and bright appearance. And it’s not just their innate beauty – their stunning, skillful makeup also plays a significant role. Looking at him, the image of a beautiful fairy-tale princess comes to mind. But nowadays such make-up has ceased to be the prerogative of only oriental beauties – if desired, and if certain skills are present, any girl can do it. And we will help you with this, revealing all the secrets of its correct implementation.
The first mention of decorative cosmetics was found in the texts of ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia, the oldest of which are about 10,000 years old. Initially, the decoration of faces and bodies with the help of such tools wore a ritual character, but later ordinary women began to use makeup in order to emphasize and enhance their natural beauty.
Cosmetics were made from natural materials such as henna, antimony, usma, ash, safflower and other gifts of nature. The best recipes have been handed down from generation to generation for many millennia. Some have survived to this day.
For example, for eyeliner and underline the depth of the eyes, antimony was used with might and main – black stone, which was ground to a powdery state, mixed with castor oil and circled in the eyes. This remedy had not only a cosmetic, but also a therapeutic effect – it relieved conjunctivitis, relieved tension and swelling from the eyelids, healed wounds. Antimony makeup was permanent and could last for several days.
The next tool that helped women of the East to become even more attractive is usma. The juice of this plant girls painted eyebrows and covered eyelashes. The fact is that he is an excellent stimulator of hair growth, and also paints them black, which is why oriental beauties have such thick and bright eyebrows and eyelashes.
The tremendous properties of usma are still appreciated today.
To give the lips more color, red powder extracted from the dye safflower flowers was used. The same effect could be achieved with the help of the juice of the roots of Arneby. And her cheeks were rosy with aker, clay mixed with poppy pigment.
As we can see, Eastern women knew a lot about beauty and did use the generous gifts of nature. Even now, in the eastern markets one can find almost all the tools that were used in ancient times, since their proven effectiveness has earned the trust of generations and has not been forgotten and lost.
Arabic features make up
In general, oriental makeup is divided into several types, but we’ll talk about them a little later. The most popular is the Arabic-style visage. Looking at him, we present the fabulous Scheherazade or Princess Budur from popular oriental tales. To try this make-up, you need to know about its features:
- Focus on the eyes. They should be bright, large and very carefully drawn. Shadows, mascara and eyeliner choose only saturated colors;
- Lips and cheekbones play a secondary role and are not distinguished. It is strictly forbidden to use dark or bright lipstick;
- Pay attention to the eyebrows. Give them a clear outline and select with a black pencil;
- Glitter, rhinestones, false eyelashes are welcome.
However, the eastern woman is not only a Muslim-covered chador. There are two more types, makeup which can be considered oriental. This is Japanese and Indian. Based on this, there are the following variations of this make-up:
- The aforementioned Arabic. Only eyes and eyebrows stand out;
- Japanese. Its distinguishing features are a lightened face, bright lipstick, underlined corners of the eyes;
- Indian. The most extravagant of all. The emphasis is on expressive eyes and sensual lips.
There are special cases when Oriental makeup should be applied according to certain traditional rules. One of these cases is nikah – a Muslim wedding ceremony. Of course, it involves the application of Arabic makeup.
Since the Nikaha ceremony is held in the mosque under the watchful attention of the mullah and numerous relatives, the bride should look beautiful, but modest. It is recommended to emphasize the eyes with the help of arrows and pay attention to the eyelashes and eyebrows, but it is worth choosing cosmetic means of the most light, delicate tones. Bright lipstick and blush excluded.
The following special case, which we consider – the makeup of a professional geisha. In this case, the face should be not just bright, but white. Eyebrows are drawn with a thin, clear line, lips are covered with bright red lipstick, give shape to the eyes with a black pencil. This is how traditional Japanese makeup is performed.
And, finally, the third case involving the Indian style – stage make-up of a belly dancer. Since the facial features of the dancer should be visible from the farthest rows of the auditorium, this make-up is made as bright as possible, using only the rich colors of the shadows, liner, mascara, lipstick and blush.
Despite the obvious differences, all three types of make-up of eastern countries have one similarity: each of them implies an impeccable skin tone.
Therefore, no matter which option you like, you should take care of leveling the complexion, correcting its features and eliminating imperfections.
How to choose cosmetics?
To perform any type of make-up in oriental style, you need to carefully select cosmetics. First, pay attention to the tinting base for the skin: cream and powder. It is advisable to choose products with a light texture, not clogging pores, but at the same time rather dense and pigmented, because the skin must be flawless. Also stock up with concealer, highlighter, proofreaders for contouring. Pick the right color for blush.
Next, select the eye shadow. Their palette will depend entirely on what type of oriental makeup you have chosen. Bright colors, mother-of-pearl and sparkles will suit the Arab and Indian styles. For Japanese – opaque shadows of basic colors.
Ink, liquid eyeliner or eyeliner suggest only one color – black, and the more saturated it is, the better. You can also use false eyelashes.
When performing lip makeup also plays the role of stylistics – if this is the Arabic version, your choice is nude beige lipstick; Japanese implies a scarlet sponge, but Indian will allow you to "play" a palette from red to wine-red color.
Lip gloss and nacre is not provided in any of the options.
How to apply?
The type of face and the cut of the eyes of Europeans, of course, differs from the appearance of eastern girls. But if you want to make up so as to try on the selected image for a while, our step-by-step instruction will help you. Before you begin to acquaint you with the implementation of makeup in stages, I would like to mention a few important points:
- Beautiful make-up is, first of all, a neat make-up. If you have decided to impress everyone with the image of an oriental beauty at any event, be sure to rehearse the chosen makeup and better than once. Experiment with tone, shadows, try to perform contouring. See how you will look with different lighting. Make sure that all selected products are resistant and do not drain from the face after an hour;
- Eastern eyes are almond eyes. But if you have a different cut of the eyes, do not be discouraged – any of the techniques suggests “drawing” on the outer corner with a black pencil. This way you can “lengthen” your eyes and it will look very organic;
- Carefully choose outfit. Not every dress or suit fits to oriental makeup. The best option is the style of the dress for the traditional clothes of the country, the make-up of which you have chosen. It does not mean that you should wear a veil, sari or kimono, but you can pick up something similar and dilute with suitable accessories.
Well, now, the promised master class on the implementation of oriental makeup. For example, we chose the most popular option – Arabic. So let’s get started:
- Align the tone of the face. Clean your skin beforehand with water and makeup remover and skin sebum. Apply your everyday cream. Next, apply a toning agent with a round sponge sponge, carefully blend over the face. Contour if you so desire. Make your skin dull with powder;
- Emphasize the cheekbones with rouge matching tone. It is desirable that they are a little darker in color than the face. On the "apple" cheekbones can cause a drop of highlighter;
- We draw a clear line of eyebrows, lengthening them to the temples;