“A healthy microbiome is a healthy organism”
Today, only perhaps the most lazy, or not very interested in human health, does not know that the state of his health is largely determined by the internal bacterial environment of his intestines. Violation of the internal microbial environment of the organism, now called the microbiome, is called dysbacteriosis or dysbiosis. And we all know for a long time that modern food, the external environment and the style of our life destroy the ecology of our organism, injure microbiome. Much has been written about this and it is even more spoken not only by professionals with a medical and biological education, but also by bloggers who write on health topics. If the texts of the first one repeat as a prayer the scientific dogma prevailing today, which can already burst at the seams and will certainly soon be replaced by another one. The latter usually promote some kind of products, earning affiliate profit from it. And this is sometimes not very bad, especially when products (dietary supplements) are of good or satisfactory quality, but since the professionalism of the recommenders is not very high and they describe their experience more often imagined than real, using copywriting tools, many people fall into the trap of someone else’s opinions are unfortunately not entirely objective and may not get the desired result from the purchase and even get a negative result.
I will not talk about morality, for these “specialists” earn their livelihood in this way (this is called business on the Internet), but life is a natural process and it must continue, and for that, money, including them, is needed.
As a research scientist, I will try to present to your attention a more or less objective picture concerning only the six most important probiotics with clinically proven efficacy, based on the analysis of vast arrays of SCIENTIFIC (proven and reproducible) information.
So let’s get started. A huge number of names of both dietary supplements and drugs aimed at “normalizing the intestinal flora”, treating dysbacteriosis, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and improving immunity are on the market. In this review, I will focus only on the main players – defining a healthy human microbiome. These lactic acid bacteria must be present in your favorite purchased probiotics.
One of the most beneficial bacteria in your body is Lactobaccilus plantarum. They were first isolated from human saliva. This lactobacillus or lactic acid bacterium can survive even in a very acidic environment of the stomach for more than 4 hours, that is, it is highly viable. Plantaric lactobacilli help immunity and regulate intestinal inflammation and intestinal permeability. This is due to the fact that they protect the intestinal wall from the penetration of pathogenic microbes into the bloodstream. They significantly reduce development risks. leaky bowel syndrome (leaky gut syndrome), colitis and irritable bowel syndrome, as well as the latest scientific observations help prevent the development of autism and even contribute to its cure. Surprisingly, neurological problems that develop in the brain, as it turned out, have their cause in the intestine. This also applies to Alzheimer’s disease and many other brain diseases.
In addition, Lactobacillus Plantarum can quickly digest protein, and this ultimately prevents food allergies and even treats such allergies when they occur. In experiments on mice, it was shown that Lactobaccilus plantarum significantly reduces the clinical symptoms of multiple sclerosis and even reduces the inflammatory response to the destruction of the myelin sheath, typical of this disease. And finally Lactobaccilus plantarum It has the unique ability to absorb and preserve important nutrients, especially for people’s brains, such omega-3 lipids, vitamins and antioxidants, and even such a useful amino acid as L-lysine, which has anti-inflammatory and anti-edema effects. All it does
Lactobaccilus plantarum important to fight infection, helping to control any pathogenic bacteria. Lactobacillus plantaris is found in large quantities in sauerkraut and kimchi, which make it possible to maintain the vitality of lactobabacil well, and by feeding on these products we replenish our reserves with the most useful probiotic. The newest methods of using lactobacillus plantaris include the transportation of drugs into the human body.
- Lactobaccilusacidophilus: they are found in all fermented dairy products, including yogurt. In humans, they reside in the mouth, intestines and vagina. They were first used by a Russian scientist, Nobel Prize laureate I. Mechnikov for the treatment of patients with fermentation processes in the intestine. They help maintain balance with pathogenic bacteria and thus strengthen the immune system. In women, which is especially noticeable when taken orally and vaginally, Lactobaccilusacidophilus helps to curb the growth of Candida albicans fungus, which causes candidiasis – thrush, especially unpleasantly flowing in the vagina. Itching quickly passes, and Candida fungi are suppressed. These probiotic microbes produce hydrogen peroxide, lactic acid, and other substances that create an acidic environment unfriendly to harmful organisms. Lactobacillus acidophilus also secrete lactase – enzymes that convert lactose (milk sugar) into simple sugars. Using this property of acidophilus can overcome lactose intolerance. Lactobaccilusacidophilus also gained fame for their ability to lower and maintain healthy cholesterol levels. In the small intestine, Lactobaccilusacidophilus produce many beneficial substances that fight pathogenic microbes: such as acidophilus, acidolin, bacteriocin and lactocidin. The well-known company “Danone”, a manufacturer of yoghurts in the 20s of the XX century, supplied yoghurts with really live cultures to the pharmacy chain. Lactobaccilusacidophilus.(Unfortunately, this name is now used for marketing purposes, and there are no living cultures contrary to advertising in Danone yoghurt produced in Russia). Some of the nutrients are best absorbed with L. Acidophilus – these are vitamins K and B, calcium, lactase and fatty acids, which increases the usefulness of these lactobacilli. Sometimes at the very beginning of the use of acidophilic lactobacilli, swelling of the intestine and flatulence, which disappear as the intestines colonize with probiotic, are possible.
- Lactobaccilus brevis: as well as plantaris found in large quantities in sauerkraut and pickled cucumbers. This probiotic was used as a powerful supplement after receiving the results of large-scale clinical studies in the 90s and the beginning of the 21st century. Lactobaccilus brevis improves immune function, increasing cellular immunity and even increasing the number of T-killers – an essential element of cellular immunity. This property allows you to effectively use Lactobaccilus brevis in the fight against vaginosis, to treat bacterial infections of the vagina, helps to deal with aphthous stomatitis, even with Behcet syndrome. Studies published in the late 90s showed proven efficacy. Lactobaccilus brevisin cancer of the transverse colon. But keep in mind that this probiotic does not tolerate high temperature and its preparations should be stored in a cool place.
- Bifidobacterium lactis (also called Bifidobacterium animalis): fermented milk products such as yogurt contain this precious culture that has a proven clinically powerful effect on the immune system. Bifidobacterium lactis is an anaerobic microbe,
Lactobacillus Salivarius: Lactobacillus salivarius lives in the mouth and small intestine, they produce enzymes that are toxic to pathogenic microbes, thus displacing them. If you have a plaque on the teeth – this is an exact sign of the lack of this probiotic. When Lactobacillus salivarius is in sufficient quantity – we do not catch cold and we do not have diarrhea, even with improper diet. The most valuable probiotic that everyone needs.
We must take into account that the microcosm has developed over millions of years, so that bacteria, both beneficial (probiotics) and harmful, live in groups of several species together, benefiting from their neighbors. This is also observed in people who also live in groups of J.
A quality probiotic supplement, for most people, should include at least these six cultures described above. Just taking bifidobacteria or lactobacilli, as it is often recommended by not very experienced doctors, does not make sense, it will be very difficult for them to take root in our body. And that means – the efficiency will be scanty. Using complex probiotics of patented strains, produced under the supervision of quality (FDA), you can get amazing results by restoring the microbiome after antibiotic therapy, after chemotherapy, after severe acute infections, poisoning or injury, with any dysbacteriosis and even improving the sociability of autists and restoring memory in sick people Alzheimer’s
What can be found in pharmacies:
– Known drug Bifiform , Enteric capsules contain:
– Bifidobacterium longum, minimum 10 million bacterial cells
– Enterococcus faecium, at least 10 million bacterial cells, and of course excipients.
The composition Bifiform includes Enterococcus faecium – type of bacteria of the genus Enterococci, which is part of the normal microflora of the human digestive tract, as well as some mammals. According to the previously accepted classification of enterococci, group D streptococci and E. faecium were called Streptococcus faecium. Enterococci produce lactic acid and due to this they show antibacterial activity.
Enterococci are lactic-acid gram-positive bacteria that do not form spores and capsules, facultative anaerobes (able to use fermentation energy and therefore, to live with large and with negligible amounts of oxygen). The optimal cultivation temperature of enterococci is + 35… + 37 ° С. Enterococci metabolize the fermentation type, ferment various carbohydrates with the formation of mainly lactic acid, but not gas, reducing the acidity of the medium to 4.2-4.6 pH. Enterococci are highly resistant to various environmental factors and disinfectants, they can remain viable on household items for a long time, they withstand heating to 60 ° C for 30 minutes.
Enterococcus faecium colonizes the intestines of a person in the first days of life. Enterococci colonization occurs more actively in breastfed babies.
Various strains of Enterococcus faecium are widely used in the manufacture of different varieties of cheese and smoked meats. Below are some examples:
- strain FAIR-E 198 is used in the preparation of feta cheese
- strains RZS C5 and DPC 1146 – Cheddar cheese
- strains CCM 4231 and RZS C13 – Spanish cold-smoked sausage
- strain CTC49 2 – smoked sausages and jamon
As you can see, the composition does not contain the entire set of probiotics and can only have a short-term effect in a number of states according to indications – “To normalize the intestinal microflora, as well as to prevent and treat gastrointestinal disorders of various origins, chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, and also to maintain immunity in Children over 2 years old and adults. ”
There is also a uniform for children. Bifiform ® Kid
As part of which:
– Lactobacillus gg (LGG ®) (10 9 CFU)
– Bifidobacterium lactis (BB-12 ™) (10 9 CFU) plus excipients and vitamins. The purpose of the drug to remove the symptoms of the disease, rather than settling probiotics with the restoration of the microbiome. Indications – “As a source of probiotic microorganisms – bifidobacteria, lactobacilli and B vitamins.”
As you can see, the composition of this drug is quite strong probiotics (although there are only 2 of them and in a very small dose) described above, which will allow to displace pathogenic microorganisms, but it should be understood that this drug is aimed at relieving symptoms and not a complete cure health
Known drug Baktisubtil
Composition: 1 capsule contains 35 mg of dried powder of bacteria strain. Bacillus cereus IP 5832 (10 9 spores), calcium carbonate 25 mg and kaolin 100 mg; in a blister pack of 20, in a box of 1 blister.
Indications – “Acute and chronic diarrhea of various genesis (including infectious), intestinal dysbiosis (especially after treatment with broad-spectrum antibiotics), enteritis, enterocolitis; prevention and treatment of intestinal dysfunction caused by chemotherapy or radiotherapy. ”
As you can see, this drug has a purely therapeutic effect (there are only two probiotics in a very small amount) – that is, it is designed to quickly combat pathogenic microflora, and not to restore the microbiome.
Another pharmacy drug Linex ®:
Ingredients: 1 g of powder contains: Lactobacillus acidophilus – 300 mg, Bifidobacterium infantis – 300 mg, Enterococcus faecium – 300 mg, lactose – 50 mg, potato starch – 50 mg.
Indications – “Treatment and prevention of dysbacteriosis.
Dysbacteriosis is manifested by the following symptoms: diarrhea (diarrhea), dyspepsia (indigestion), constipation, flatulence (bloating), nausea, belching, vomiting, abdominal pain, allergic skin reactions are possible. “
As well as Bifiform Linex contains Enterococcus faecium.
Observe the same thing as the two previous drugs, only three probiotics (the number of probiotic bacilli is uncertain). We conclude for ourselves – this medicine is also for short-term restoration of microflora and is not suitable for the restoration of the microbiome.
Pharmacy searches can be continued until we encounter a drug containing at least 6 cultures presented above, which will allow us to restore the health of the microbiome in the long term, and therefore our health. Science has proven that healthy microbes (microbiomes) are healthy.
A very important question remained open: how to restore a damaged microbiome? How and where to find high-quality probiotics? First of all, we should start with changing the food regime – be sure to include garlic, sauerkraut, fiber, and kumchi in the diet. And only if you have an impaired immunity, you catch a cold more than 1 time per year, there is fatigue, memory suffers (surprisingly, but the quality of brain processes is determined by the microbiome), constipation or diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome or colitis, thrush – more than 2 once a year. Only in these cases is the use of probiotic preparations justified. I, for my family and for myself, buy high quality drugs at reasonable prices (usually 2-4 times cheaper than in our pharmacies).
This set of 10 probiotics of the highest quality from DuPont provides an excellent microbiome recovery effect. The total number of active probiotics in one capsule is 70 billion. (ten times more than the above-mentioned drugs). Therefore, the real cost is 5-23 times cheaper than medicines containing only 2-3 cultures.
I will tell you a secret that we make yogurt from it in a yoghurt maker scattering one capsule per liter of milk, leaving it for 6 hours. The taste of yogurt turns out to be simply divine, no one has ever tried such a tasty drink, and by its usefulness it is a unique drink with no analogues. Those who consume it, for example, are not prone to colds and iron and feel 10-25 years younger (I have people older than 55 years).
A slightly more economical version containing 30 billion probiotics is manufactured by Healthy Origins., Although it is also of very high premium quality.
Healthy Origins probiotics
8 active strains, probiotics, produced at the production sites of the company Du Pont (DuPont) – DuPont ™ Danisco® Probiotics, are of the highest quality and are constantly monitored in many stages. The following cultures are produced in this company:
Bifidobacterium breve Bb-03 Bifidobacterium lactis Bi-07 Bifidobacterium lactis Bl-04 Bifidobacterium longum Bl-05 Lactobacillus acidophilus La-14 Lactobacillus bulgaricus Lb-64 Lactobacillus brevis Lr-35 Lactobacillus paracasei Lpc-37 Lactobacillus rhamnosus Lr-32 Lactobacillus salivarius Ls-33 Streptococcus thermophilus St-21
Although these probiotics are made far from our home, they provide delivery very quickly (8-15 days) and cheap – no more than 4 dollars per package up to 4.5 kg (and in August for free if you choose to get in the Boxberry office. And at the first order you will receive a discount of 10 dollars, specifying the promotional code FKN391 when ordering &# 128578;