The topic of our article (“Lavender: planting and leaving in the Moscow region”) interests not only those who are just beginning to communicate with the world of flowers. Even experienced gardeners need information in order to properly behave in the process of communicating with a particular plant. Before you plant a lavender, you must carefully examine all the features of this procedure, as well as the basic requirements for the care of the flower. As a result, the whole process will be completed successfully, and you will receive a reward in the form of a beautiful flowerbed to envy all others.
As for such a species as narrow-leaved lavender, planting and care in the Moscow region for this flower does not differ from these processes in other regions of Russia. The procedure is the same. But first, let’s focus on the general characteristics of the plant. Lavender has gained a strong place in both landscape design and light industry in the manufacture of perfume water, air fresheners, gel, etc. The plant came to us from the Mediterranean and has about 30 varieties. Plants such as mint, rosemary, and thyme are its direct relatives. Gentle pleasant aroma will not leave anyone indifferent, and purple flowers delight the eyes of everyone who sees them. The plant itself has a narrow stem with narrow greenish-gray leaves. Buds are collected in the inflorescence, which blooms from June to August. Interestingly, even in dry form, flowers retain the ability to aromatize, and they are greatly appreciated for this ability.
- “English lavender”. The bush with narrow leaves, which grows up to a meter in diameter, tolerates the winter period well, has an unpretentious character, and blooms in mid-summer.
- “French lavender”. In this species, the leaves have a bright shade and a wide shape. The buds are also a few tones lighter than those of other species, and the smell is particularly sharp.
- “Dutch lavender”. This plant is very similar to the previous two, but can reach two meters in height.
- “Gear lavender.” Silver leaves and buds with a lilac shade distinguish it from relatives, besides, it mainly grows indoors, and does not really take root on the open ground.
Lavender: planting and care in the open field
Many of us have heard a song about this mountain flower. He loves mountains, which means that he absolutely does not tolerate high humidity. The peculiarity of its roots gives the flower the ability to absorb moisture deep from the ground. When choosing a place to plant your lavender, consider this point, as well as the fact that she prefers loose soil and a large amount of sun. Shadow is also suitable, but you can not see the full force of flowering plants. If it so happens that the ground in your garden is very wet and the plot is in a lowland, make a small hill and plant a flower there. As for the quality of the soil, avoid planting lavender on a plot with high acidity, and if there is no other way, then take care of neutralizing the soil with a lime mortar.
Before planting the plants need to add compost to the soil to loosen the soil and add fertility. It is recommended to plant a flower and near the curb where they will look very good. Plant the bushes so that the distance between them is the same as the height of the adult plant. In this case, such a flower bed looks well maintained, and it will be easier for you to look after each of them.
Information on how lavender is grown (planting and caring in the Moscow region), photos and descriptions of the plant are needed in order to ensure proper care of it. One of the important points is reproduction. The fact is that the plant does not like transplants, and if you had to resort to such a process, then you need to do it together with a huge clod of soil. This is done only if it is imperative to move the bush. If you just want to multiply the plant, then there are several options:
- The division of the bush. In the presence of an adult plant, it is necessary to pour the uterine bush in the spring to separate the layering. Then, with the arrival of autumn, they can be completely separated and transplanted to other places.
- The use of cuttings. Also in the spring, you need to cut the cuttings about ten centimeters long and place them in the ground under the film, creating the effect of a greenhouse. Regularly watering and airing, we wait for autumn, when the cuttings can already be planted in the chosen place in the flowerbed.
- Use of layering. With the arrival of spring, bend down the escape of lavender and sprinkle it with earth in one place. When autumn comes, the roots will grow in this place, and it can be separated and transplanted to a permanent place.
- Sowing seeds. This method can only be used by an experienced gardener. A couple of months before the proposed planting, the seeds are placed in a container of sand, which is constantly moistened, and placed in a cool place. The temperature of the content should be from two degrees of heat to four degrees of frost. In early spring, seeds are sown in open ground. After planting, the ground is well trampled and watered abundantly. But this method is only suitable for a mild climate, as in the Moscow region. But in regions with a harsher climate, this breeding option is doomed to failure, and the seeds, most likely, will not sprout.
Do not forget about the features of watering, which requires lavender. Planting and care in the garden for this plant does not require significant effort, but you need to know what this miracle of flora wants from you. It is necessary to water a lavender only when the ground under the bush is completely dry. She prefers dry ground rather than waterlogging. If you notice that the leaves of the plant become yellow, it means that you water it too often and the root system starts to rot. A very important factor of care is the loosening of the earth. Lavender needs air, so every time after watering or rain you need to blow up the soil so that oxygen can freely get to the roots. To facilitate the work, you can apply mulching with peat or humus.
Not to mention the use of fertilizers, discussing the topic “Lavender: planting and care.” A photo of a plant during flowering suggests that such a luxurious look requires additional assistance in the form of top dressing. Of course, lavender can do without additional support, taking from the land what is available, but if you want to see the flower in all its glory, then do not be lazy to apply nitrogen fertilizer in early spring. This will give the flower the power to grow a lot of greenery. Further, fertilizers are used only during the flowering period.
This procedure is optional. Even if you do not take part at all in the formation of the bush, it will still grow and bloom. If you want to have more bushes and more fluffy you will need to resort to circumcision. To do this, first wait for the flowering period to end, and all the flowers have dried. Before the cold season comes, you need to cut every twig by a couple of centimeters. Do not cut more, otherwise the whole bush may die during the winter.
There are also difficulties in growing a flower like lavender. Planting and care in the suburbs, gardeners reviews about these processes – everything suggests that the flower is perfectly acclimatized in this region and does not create special difficulties in the care. It tolerates cold and is rarely a victim of an attack of disease or pests. But still there are times when the plant begins to suffer from some kind of disease. In the case of incorrect watering on the lavender attacks rot. The worst thing is that it can not be cured, and you only need to destroy the flower, and quickly, until he infected a number of growing plants. All bushes affected by rot need to be burned away from flower beds. Also, lavender can attract such an insect as the rainbow beetle. But it is rare and in small quantities, so it is easily assembled by hand.
How is preparing for winter lavender
Planting and care in the suburbs of this plant includes the preparation for the winter period. We have already said that the flower is resistant to frost. He can tolerate temperatures up to twenty-five degrees below zero, and this quality is very valuable for such beauty. But we still do not recommend the risk, and recommends covering up the bushes for the winter. The ideal shelter will be the branches of coniferous trees. They are well breathable and do not let the snow fall asleep bushes. For this purpose, foliage that has fallen from trees or grapes will not work, as the flower beneath them will waft and most likely will die. If you live in a region with mild winters, you don’t need to cover the bushes.
Harmony of plants
Sometimes people think about what is combined with lavender. Planting and care in the suburbs of this flower often entail the need to plant another flower. This is done mainly for the design of landscape design. Planting a plant along a curb, footpath, or hedge allows for its combination with flowers such as rose, hydrangea, or sage. Given the color scheme of lavender, it is recommended to use orange or red rose buds, and in the company with hydrangea the flower will look perfect on an alpine slide. Lavender looks very profitable in pots. If you plant just one lavender in a large area, you can enjoy the view only of its beautiful purple bushes. You can surprise your guests with such a purple carpet with a wonderful aroma, and they can see in all their glory how lavender can bloom. Planting and care in the suburbs for this flower is not too complicated.
As already mentioned, the flower has an incredible aroma, which makes it attractive in this particular area. First, it is used to add to tea, drinks, spices for meat and vegetable dishes. Secondly, from lavender make a great essential oil, and it is used both in cosmetology and in medicine. From a medical point of view, the flower has a calming effect, eliminates insomnia, relieves fatigue. For cosmetics, there are no limits to the use of this fragrance. We observe its presence in soaps, gels, perfumes, eau de toilette, air fresheners and much more. This smell has won the hearts of both female and male half of the population of the planet.