Today, everything that surrounds us must be treated with caution. And even to the water that we drink. Indeed, in recent times, scientists increasingly say that not all the water that certain trademarks offer us is beneficial to human health.
In this article, I want to talk about the reasons for which it is best to abandon the consumption of bottled water.
About Bottled Water Documentation
Not all people know that today water is available in two categories: first and highest. It can also be mineral or drinking.
On the first, everything is clear. But what is meant by the term “drinking water”?
If this is exactly what is written on the bottle, the manufacturer took the water, most likely ordinary, plumbing or well, and just let it through a special filter (which can also be installed at home). Surprisingly, it is permissible.
More precisely, it is not prohibited by regulatory documentation. So, today there are two documents in which the rules on the quality and safety of water are expressed:
- GOST R 52109-2003. Here we are talking about drinking water, which is packaged in containers.
According to these documents, all bottled water sold must be safe for health, it must comply with various microbiological and chemical indicators. But here is the danger: unscrupulous manufacturers often provide one water for analysis, while a completely different liquid is being poured into bottles.
It is very difficult to control this, it remains only to rely on the conscience of those who offer this water for consumption. However, all the same for bona fide manufacturers have their own “but.”
In some countries, bottled water is generally prohibited, as it has been proven to adversely affect health and the environment. We still have no such law. This is worth thinking about!
Where does water come from?
A huge problem is also the fact that today the legislation does not oblige water producers to talk about where it comes from. Thus, liquid containers should be marked. It can be drinking, artesian, bottled, well, aerated, mineral, purified and
However, not a word about what its origin is. This has already been said above, it can be taken from the same state water supply system, passed through the simplest filter and dispensed into containers. Naturally, it must meet certain standards.
Cost of bottled water
From the above points follows the following: why pay money for bottled water, if in fact it can be taken from the tap? So, it is worth saying that buying such a product is not a cheap pleasure.
What does a person pay for when he buys a bottle of water: for the liquid itself, for a container, and also pays for jobs for manufacturers, suppliers and those who sell it.
Well, the manufacturer must make a profit, otherwise the business loses its essence. So it turns out that in addition to the fact that a person pays twice for tap water (once in the housing department, the second – in the store), he also provides a considerable profit for its producers.
A few words about plastic bottles
Many people have already realized that the plastic from which bottled water packaging is made is unhealthy. But what exactly?
- If it is very common to drink bottled water, a chemical substance such as bisphenol-A accumulates in the human body. It is somewhat similar to the female sex hormone estrogen. And its oversupply affects the body not only women, but also men and children.
- Substances contained in plastic bottles can greatly harm the cardiovascular system, as well as cause a disease such as diabetes.
- Bisphenol-A is also very dangerous for liver enzymes, which can cause damage to this organ in humans.
- Water in plastic bottles can persist for a couple of years. However, at the same time it is in the closed state and, moreover, it assimilates everything that the container in which it is located allocates. During this time, the structure of water changes and becomes unknown to the human body.
Attention: bisphenol-A is banned in 10 countries. However, in the post-Soviet space, water with this trace element is sold without fear and problem in all supermarkets.
Plastic bottles and their harm to the environment
I would also like to tell you that the plastic bottles themselves are also very harmful for the environment. Why? The time of their collapse is more than 400 years! In addition, they are very light and often fall into the water, litter the rivers, seas, oceans.
After a time, they break up in water into small pieces, they are absorbed by fish and plastic becomes part of the food chain! In addition, here are some more interesting facts that make a person think:
- For the production of plastic bottles alone, 17 million barrels of oil are spent per year.
- For the production of a plastic bottle, you need three times more water than to fit into it.
- The cost that a person pays for bottled water: 90% for the container and only 10% for the liquid itself.