Author: Nikolay Zakharov Date:
Mouse fever – a dangerous viral disease, which is characterized by manifestations of high body temperature, general intoxication of the body and effects on the kidney tissue. Experts use the definition of hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome, and the term “mouse fever” is used among the population.
There are 2 variants of the hemorrhagic fever virus with renal syndrome:
- Oriental, identified in the territory of Korea, China, Primorsky Krai of the Far East of the Russian Federation, the carrier of the infection is small field rodents. The virus can cause dangerous forms of the disease with an unfavorable outcome in 20% of cases of the disease;
- West, it occurs mainly in the central part of Russia and in a number of countries in Eastern and Western Europe. The existence of the virus in endemic areas is supported by representatives of the red-headed vole. Symptoms of the disease appear in a milder form, with mortality not exceeding 2% of the number of cases.
The virus does not cause harm to the body of mice, as human infection from infected people does not happen. The main source of existence of a natural source of infection is the presence of a large population of rodents living in these areas.
The seasonality of the onset of infection, with the onset of cold weather, is associated with the migration of rodents to the places of residence of people. In the spring, the majority of cases did not observe elementary security measures when working in the territories of gardens and gardens in areas where infected rodents were.
Ways of infection:
- The virus enters the respiratory tract with dust particles from the life of rodents;
- Eating foods that rodents could come in contact with from a natural source of infection;
- Through minor injuries of the skin, during the spring cleaning of the area where there were rodents.
The main place of introduction of the virus – the cells of the mucous membrane of the bronchi and intestines. Subsequently, viruses reproducible by cells penetrate into the bloodstream and spread throughout the body, which is manifested by toxic effects in a sick person. Subsequently, they enter the cells of the vascular walls, disrupting their functions, which causes hemorrhagic phenomena in the patient. The virus is excreted from the body through the kidneys, so their tissues are exposed to effects that cause difficulty in the formation of urine. The outcome of the disease depends on the degree of disorder of the functions of the kidney tissues.
Signs of mouse fever.
Hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome in most cases is found in men aged 16 to 50 years. Signs of the disease appear in accordance with the period of infection. In the clinical picture of the onset of symptoms, 5 stages are distinguished:
- Incubation period. It continues, usually, from 20 days to a month. During this period, the health of the sick person is satisfactory. The virus that develops in the mucous membrane cells does not show severe symptoms;
- Onset of the disease develops acutely. Its duration is 2-3 days. At this point, the symptoms of the disease are similar to the common cold: the patient has headache, nausea, pain in the muscles, weakness, an increase in body temperature to 39-40 ° C. A characteristic feature is the maximum temperature indicators in the daytime and morning hours. Always there is a reddening of the face, neck. It is characterized by hemorrhage of the sclera eye vessels. In this period of time there are still no obvious violations in the work of the internal organs;
- Second stage of the disease comes with a reduction in the daily volume of urine, the so-called oliguria. Oliguria indicates difficulties in the work of the kidneys. The patient begins to have severe pain in the lower back. Reduction of daily diuresis is the main diagnostic feature of the development of hemorrhagic fever. Signs of disturbances in the work of the nervous system can be traced: fainting, the appearance of hallucinations. The appearance of such problems is the effect of small hemorrhages in the substance of the brain. At the end of this stage of the disease, body temperature returns to normal. Improving well-being does not occur;
- Third stage. The period of increased diuresis. At this time, the increase in daily urine output to 2-3 liters per day begins. Such indicators indicate the establishment of functional abilities of the kidneys. Pain syndrome disappears. A sign of the beginning of recovery is the appearance of a good appetite. At this stage of the disease, observation of specialists is of great importance for the possible prevention of the development of renal impairment;
- Fourth stage the disease is felt by residual effects in the form of constant weakness and possible difficulties in the work of the kidneys. Unpleasant manifestations of the disease can last for a period of 1 month to 3 years. It is necessary to constantly visit a nephrologist during this period.
Treatment of mouse fever in men.
Mouse fever – a disease caused by a virus, can have dangerous consequences for human life. The first signs of a viral infection are similar to those of a cold, which makes it difficult to diagnose and prescribe the right treatment.
The desire to independently cure this disease with the help of traditional medicine in most cases will lead to disability, and the lethal outcome of the infection is not excluded.
Treatment of hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome requires hospitalization in inpatient hospitals.
From the first day of stay in the hospital, bed rest must be observed: the virus causes changes in the walls of blood vessels, therefore, the appearance of severe bleeding in the internal organs is possible. The duration of bed rest is determined by the attending physician. Depending on the condition of the patient, this period can last from 2 to 6 weeks.
Complications caused by hemorrhagic fever.
This infection is destructive not only due to the effect of the virus, but also to other health disorders:
- Azotemic uremia. Occurs when a kidney is severely infected with a hemorrhagic fever virus. There is a poisoning of the body with its own metabolic products, as a result of a significant violation of the excretory activity of the kidneys. There is a feeling of nausea, repeated bouts of vomiting. Urine excretion stops, the sick person does not respond to external stimuli and loses the ability to perceive the environment adequately;
- Acute cardiovascular insufficiency. May develop against the background of toxic shock at the onset of the disease. The skin becomes cold, a bluish tint appears. The pulse reaches 160 beats per minute, the upper blood pressure readings quickly decrease to 80 millimeters of mercury;
- Hemorrhagic complications: Hemorrhages in the kidney tissue that may occur during patient movements, with severe pain in the kidney area. Violation of the integrity of the kidney capsule with improper transportation of the patient and heavy bleeding into the abdominal cavity.
- The appearance of bacterial infections in the form of pneumonia or pyelonephritis.
Prevention of the disease.
There is no vaccine against this virus, therefore it is necessary to carry out the required measures to prevent the disease:
- The first cleaning of the territory of summer cottages in the spring is carried out with gloves and masks protecting the respiratory tract from dust;
- After the winter cold, the cleaning of the rooms of the summer houses should be carried out with the use of disinfectants, doing all the work with gloves and dust masks;
- Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water before eating;
- Do not touch the carcasses of dead mice with unprotected hands;
- Food should be kept in equipped storages where they will not be accessible to rodents;
- Carry out activities to reduce the number of rodents near the premises.
Hemorrhagic or murine fever is a disease caused by a specific virus that leads to impaired renal excretory function. Self-treatment at home can cause serious consequences for the patient.
The mouse fever virus is constantly present in natural foci in large areas of the Russian Federation. The initial symptoms of a viral disease are similar to those of the common cold. If you happen to be in areas where you can get this infection, you need to be well aware of its symptoms and distinguishing signs in order to prevent severe development of the disease.
Men at risk for this disease, women are less likely to get sick.
Here you can view a video about the symptoms of mouse fever.