German Pointers or Kurzhaars are common dogs in Germany and are quite rare in the Russian Federation. Active, positive and completely unpretentious, surprisingly, as representatives of the breed have not yet become the most popular pets in the world? What is known about these quadrupeds?
The origin of the breed
The Kurzhaars are descended from ancient hunting breeds that were used by nobles from Germany and Austria. It is a pity, but there is practically no information about those dogs, therefore the origin of the German points has more theoretical basis and indirect facts. But it is reliably known that the breed standard in Germany appeared between the 60th and 70th years of the 19th century.
Before the appearance of firearms, there were three types of hunting dogs in Europe:
- Dogs for baiting (greyhounds), were used to stalk and hold large animals.
- A pack of greyhounds, which was released to chase wolves, deer, etc.
- The hounds had the same task – to catch up with a small animal, but fast, for example, a hare.
They were very hardy and had a delicate flair. With gunmen dogs hunted birds, which, in fact, is still being done. The dogs found the prey and went to bed nearby, and the man threw a net over the bird. Because of this movement – go to bed before the prey, and the name of the breed occurred – the cops.
Among the breeds that produce feathered game from the thickets, the Spanish Pointer stood out for its working qualities. But very little is known about these dogs – there is an assumption that Spain is considered the birthplace of such dogs, and that their origin is connected with the crossing of Spanish breeds – cops and spaniels.
There were also Italian breeds, some were called Bracco Italiano, others – Italian spinone. At that time, they were common in various European countries and participated in the breeding of many hunting breeds. Researchers believe that the Kurzhaar breed originated precisely from the Spanish and Bracco Italiana pointers. Pointer appeared on the German lands in the 15-17 centuries. It was then that they crossed with local dogs. But this is only a hypothesis, there is no evidence.
However, the formation of a new breed – the German bird dog has happened. Of course, initially it was impossible to name a group of animals with some common characteristics and used for hunting. It is worth noting that the British hunters had a desire to display rocks with highly specialized data, and the Germans were towards universal breeds. But there was one similarity – in both states, hunting was considered solely as entertainment of the highest strata of society.
However, changes in the social structure made the hunt accessible to the middle strata of the population. And firearms changed the hunting principles themselves. Already ceased to be relevant content of a pack of dogs. People living in cities could keep one or two dogs. They hunted at that time not so often – a couple of times a month, so other duties were assigned to the dogs.
From the beginning of the 17th century in England began the standardization of local breeds and the management of breeding books. Among the first dogs that underwent this procedure were English Pointers, who experienced some transformation, transforming from cops into gun dogs with an elegant appearance.
Breed dogs Kurzhaar on photo
German points began to cross with English, and since the beginning of the 18th century, and with other representatives of hard-haired breeds. Such breeding work made the dogs faster and more elegant. From this point smooth-haired points and acquired a separate name – kurtshaar.
In the 60s-70s of the 19th century, they began to document the breeding work, and the breed began to finally form. In 1872 the Kurzhaars were added to the registries of the German Kennel Society, and in 1948 the breed was registered with the English Kennel Club. The Kurzhaars have become regular exhibitors, but as a service breed.
Dogs very quickly gained world popularity and by the 70s of the 20th century became the most common hunting breed in the USA. Today, their distribution has decreased slightly, as the kurtshaars require sufficient loads, not always possible in urban conditions.
Description breed Kurzhaar
Kurzhaar dog photo
Representatives of this breed belong to large dogs. The weight of males varies between 25-32 kg, height 62-66 cm, bitches slightly less – 21-27 kg with growth of 58-63 cm. The standard describes the kurtshaars as follows:
- Head the dog is elongated, proportionate to the body, with a wide skull and a slightly protruding forehead. The muzzle is strong, with powerful jaws, capable of capturing the game and bringing it to the owner. The dentition is full, the teeth fit snugly together.
- Nose slightly lowered or turned up, there is a small hump. The lobe is large, pigmented by brown color, the nostrils are wide, well open and mobile.
- Eyes medium, very expressive, with dense eyelids. The iris can be brown or light yellow. There are individuals with bright eyes, which lowers the dog’s show rating.
- Auricles have a high setting and always hang down. The neck is proportional, long, with pronounced muscles.
- Dogs have a powerful, square shape. body, in which all proportions are met. The stomach is tucked up, the chest is deep. The back is straight, the loin is wide and slightly arched.
- Limbs strong, strong, with well developed muscles. At the front legs obliquely set blades, flat adjacent to the body. The bones of the shoulders are somewhat elongated. Hind limbs parallel to each other. The hips are wide, with dry, developed muscles. The fingers of the Kurzhaar are tightly compressed, the paws are rounded, less often oval, with strong, dense claws.
- Tail medium thick in the base area and thinned by the end. At rest, it is horizontal or may hang. During the hunt or search the tail rhythmically moves. There is a tradition of arresting the third part of the tail or half.
- Leather in dogs, it fits snugly to the body; therefore, in kurtshaars, it does not fold up and does not form wrinkles.
- Coat representatives of this breed are dense, hard and rough, it feels like a brush to the touch. In the area of the head, the coat is somewhat softer, it is shorter and thinner.
There are several kurtzhaar color options:
- monophonic – black or brown;
- Sometimes the color is combined with a white tint.
Experienced dog experts have the opinion that if the kurtshaar has a yellow tan, it will be great to take a blood mark.
Of course, thanks to the centuries-old hunting history, the Kurzhaars, above all, are excellent hunters. But this does not prevent them from being loving, gentle pets. Dogs are loyal, intelligent and always eager to please the owner. They are curious and friendly, good for children.
Kurzhaar puppies photo
The innate protective instinct allows the use of Kurzhaars as watchmen. Purebred representatives are very attached to the family, need attention and love to be close to the owners. Loneliness they suffer badly. Without sufficient socialization, lack of physical exertion, dogs may show aggression, be fearful or have other behavioral deviations.
Like most hunting dogs, the Kurzhaar has a tendency to dominate and requires a host with a strong, strong-willed character. The person must know how to become a leader for the pet and hold this position. Without this, the dog will very quickly become unmanageable. If we talk in general, then the representatives of this breed can be attributed to the dogs of “one owner”.
Kurzhaars have very developed intellect and irrepressible energy. These two qualities require that the pet was constantly busy with something, and it is training that is the best occupation for the development of qualities and distraction of the dog. In addition, it brings pleasure to the animal.
If the dog grows along with other pets – dogs, cats, then he calmly gets on with them. However, it should be borne in mind that small animals for these dogs with well-developed hunting instincts will always be an object for hunting. Among such breeds, the Kurzhaars are the noisiest representatives. Educate your pet when you can bark, and when not, from an early age.
How to care and maintain kurtshaar
As already noted, purebred dogs are unpretentious. In the house they need a place – bedding in the room, or pantry. Walking requires frequent – 3 times a day, at least 40-45 minutes (read about the rules of dog walking). But the dog should not wander aimlessly, it should be allowed to run. Wash your pet every 2-3 weeks.
There are some nuances in feeding the Kurzhaar. Traditional two meals are welcome, but all fatty foods should be excluded from the diet. The basis of the dog’s menu should be meat, it can be given both separately and with cereals. If the dog eats ready-made dry food, you can feed it once a day.
The main indicator that a dog receives adequate nutrition and sufficient physical activity is that the last 3 ribs should show through the kurtskhars. These dogs molt three times a year. During this period, it is recommended to comb your pet with a special brush while walking. Then, on returning home, you can walk on the coat with a wet rubber glove.
Video about kurtshaar
Kurzhaar puppy price
Immediately it is worth noting that the breed is very expensive. Pet-class puppies that do not participate in exhibitions and breeding, cost around 15,000-25,000 rubles. It will be a great pet with no genetic abnormalities and documented.
30000-40000 rubles worth kurtshaar brid class. Such a pet can produce offspring, but minor flaws will not allow him to receive titles in exhibitions. Although it is quite possible to exhibit it. The price of a high-class puppy begins in the region of 65000-70000 rubles and can be much higher.
It should be noted that in Russia prices for pedigree kurtshaar puppies do not have a downward trend. One of the reasons for this fact is the rarity of the breed.
Kurzhaars are dogs with an elegant appearance, excellent physique and boundless devotion. But it is worth noting again that they need regular active runs. These are dogs for active people who have time to raise a four-friend.