Any short-term or prolonged sleep disturbance adversely affects one’s well-being. For insomnia, hypnotics – sleeping pills are prescribed. Some of them are sold without prescription, while others are sold only with the permission of a doctor. Most of them have many side effects. Such drugs are addictive up to the strongest withdrawal syndrome.
How to choose a sleeping pill? What pills for insomnia without addiction can be bought without a prescription at any pharmacy? We will tell about this and many other things below.
The main indications for the use of hypnotics
Modern hypnotic drugs prescribed for any pathologies of night rest, regardless of their form and origin. Regular lack of sleep is an extremely dangerous phenomenon, which provokes depression, apathy, and reduced performance. In therapy, various groups of drugs are used: sedatives (sedatives), antipsychotics, tranquilizers, and so on. They are discharged at:
- vegetative diseases;
- sleep disorders;
- mood imbalances;
- psychopathic pathologies;
- neurotic states;
- excessive anxiety and tension;
Sleeping pills quickly improves the quality of night rest. However, doctors do not recommend abusing such drugs. Physical and mental dependence on these drugs – not fiction, but a real fact.
The best option is to sign up for a consultation with a specialist. It will help you choose the appropriate tool, taking into account the characteristics of sleep disorders and some other factors. But if this is not possible, pay attention to the drugs against insomnia, which are released freely in the pharmacy. They are safe and not addictive. This means that you can abandon them at any time.
Remedies for non-prescription sleep disorders
OTC drugs effectively deal with all of the above problems. Most of these drugs do not pose any threat to health. They include vegetable sedative components, so the drugs have a minimum set of contraindications and adverse reactions. The most popular are:
- Valerian tablets is a good vegetable sleeping pill. It has little effect on the nervous system, does not provoke diarrhea or bloating. It is used not only to improve the quality of sleep, but also to treat recurrent headaches and increased anxiety. Among the contraindications should be allocated individual intolerance. No other flaws.
- Motherwort is a great way to get rid of stress and trouble falling asleep. It has pronounced sedative properties and normalizes blood pressure. Patients drink 1 tablet no more than 4 times a day for 2 weeks.
- The composition of “Persen” includes extracts of lemon balm and valerian. Therefore, such a sleeping pill not only relieves insomnia, but also has a calming effect on the body. “Persen” well eliminates bouts of irritability and anxiety. Does not lead to daytime sleepiness. The tool should not be used for children under 12 years. Among the cons of medication should be called possible constipation. In addition, it is contraindicated in patients with diseases of the gallbladder. “Percen” take 1-2 capsules 3 times a day (therapeutic course – 7 days).
- Novo-Passit is the best sedative preparation that contains hawthorn extract, lemon balm, valerian, elderberry, and other natural ingredients. It is available in tablets and in the form of syrup. This drug belongs to the group of combined, has a well-pronounced sedative effect. It can be used not only to improve sleep, but also to eliminate excessive anxiety. Its advantage is almost instant impact. For insomnia, it is better to give preference to syrup, as it is absorbed into the bloodstream faster. Novo-Passit is sold without a prescription and taken 1-2 tablets 1 time per day (duration of treatment is 3 weeks).
- “Ortho-Taurine” in large quantities contains vitamins of group B1, B12, E, B6, as well as folic acid. This adaptogenic drug that quickly restores the body and accelerates sleep. The optimal dosage is 1-2 capsules an hour before the night’s sleep (the course is from 10 to 30 days).
Today, non-addictive hypnotics, the new generation are sold in any pharmacy. They are completely safe, rarely provokes adverse reactions. To achieve a stable therapeutic effect, it is not necessary to increase the dosage of such drugs. They carefully restore and maintain a normal night’s sleep and do not cause headaches.
These tools include the so-called Z-drugs – “Zaleplon”, “Zopiclone” and “Zolpidem”. These are very strong hypnotics that are only available on prescription. You can not be afraid of dependence on them: with periodic use of pills, the natural activity of a person is not disturbed.
So, “Zolpidem” contributes to the speedy fall asleep and does not affect the natural sleep cycle. In addition, the drug completely eliminates the spontaneous awakening at night. However, the medicine has certain disadvantages:
- causes drowsiness during the day;
- often leads to severe headaches;
- promotes the appearance of weakness in the body.
“Zolpidem” can be taken far from all. It is strictly prohibited in the detection of apnea – a syndrome of sudden short-term interruption of breathing in a dream. Do not use the tool during lactation and pregnancy. In addition, you should pay attention to the individual intolerance to the components.
Another popular remedy in this group is Zaleplon. It has a strong effect on the central nervous system, accelerates falling asleep, prolongs the rest period at the beginning of the night, does not affect the ratio of sleep phases. The drug is used with a calming purpose, to relieve seizures. Its use is effective in the short-term treatment of insomnia. “Zaleplon” relieves fatigue and anxiety caused by severe sleep disorders, increases efficiency.
Do not use the drug to people with hypersensitivity to its components, with severe hepatic and renal failure, respiratory pathology. The active ingredient adversely affects the fetus in the womb and penetrates into breast milk, so taking medication to pregnant and lactating women is prohibited. People under 18 years old, patients suffering from alcohol or drug dependence, do not drink depression “Zaleplon”.
The drug is prescribed only by a doctor, because it causes a wide range of adverse reactions:
- anaphylactic shock;
- digestive disorders;
- mental problems;
- disorders of the nervous system;
- weakness, general malaise.
Do not take the drug at the same time with alcohol or narcotic drugs. When it is canceled, anxiety and aggression, changes in behavior and consciousness often develop. “Zaleplon” affects the reaction rate and requires at least a 4-hour rest after consuming the pill. Overdose causes severe consequences up to death.
Zopiclone is less dangerous and more easily tolerated by patients. He is discharged to shorten the time to sleep, to reduce the frequency of sudden awakenings at night and in the early morning, with psychological upheavals and a sharp change in the usual way of life that caused nervous disorders. The drug facilitates the occurrence of asthma attacks.
The drug should not be used for hypersensitive and minor patients, people with diseases of the respiratory system and kidneys, pregnant mothers in the first and third trimester.
The use of Zopiclone should be discontinued when:
- sleepiness, apathy;
- muscle weakness;
- coordination disorders;
- memory impairment;
- nausea, vomiting;
- skin rashes.
The drug can be addictive, with an overdose, sometimes there is a loss of consciousness.
The above funds are assigned to patients only as a last resort. When self-therapy for insomnia, experts strongly recommend taking only time-tested herbal remedies.
Natural sleeping drugs
Donormil and Melaxen have proven their worth. They also do not cause withdrawal symptoms, since they consist solely of natural ingredients. Such medicines contain extracts of lemon balm and valerian, are well absorbed and neatly eliminate any nerve pathologies.
“Melaxen” contains an analogue of the natural sleep hormone, which begins to be produced in the evening, just before drowsiness. The drug has a mild sedative effect, gently normalizes the processes of falling asleep and wakefulness. The unique composition of the drug allows you to completely eliminate daytime sleepiness.
Quite often, patients suffering from insomnia refuse to take such sleeping pills. They fear that Melaxen will disrupt the natural production of the sleep hormone. According to doctors, such clinical cases are extremely rare and occur due to exceeding the recommended dose.
Among the advantages of such a hypnotic should be called:
- rapid cleavage and removal from the body;
- sparing effect on the nervous system;
- impossibility of poisoning due to overdose.
It has been experimentally proven that this remedy, even with multiple exceeding the prescribed dose, does not affect the patient’s condition. “Melaxen” you need to drink 3 mg for an hour before meals. In this case, the course of therapy ranges from 2 to 3 weeks, depending on the severity of the condition.
“Donormil” provides up to 9 hours of a healthy night’s rest, speeds up sleep. The tool is available in the form of effervescent tablets. To dissolve the drug, 100 ml of ordinary pure water is sufficient. This medicine is used late in the evening with a maximum of 1 tablet. After a two-week course, a break is taken, then treatment can be continued. If the tool was ineffective, it should be replaced by another.
Sometimes Donormil causes dryness of the oral cavity, a decrease in concentration. It is not suitable for patients:
- old age;
- diagnosed with prostate adenoma;
- having pathologies of the liver and kidneys.
“Donormil” can be used from the age of 15. Women during pregnancy and lactation should be abandoned.
Let’s sum up
These drugs for insomnia today are considered the most affordable, effective and safe for the body. Some of them are prescription only, but most are sold freely. Naturally, the above is an incomplete list of sedative and hypnotic drugs. But these are quite enough to find the most appropriate medicine for themselves.
Listen carefully to your body. Indeed, in some cases, insomnia – not a harmless symptom. For example, it may indicate hyperthyroidism. Hormonal imbalance is accompanied by fever, irritability and weight loss.
In addition, sleep disturbance may be one of the manifestations of:
- Parkinson’s disease;
- vascular pathologies.
If insomnia is not eliminated by sleeping pills and sedatives, be sure to consult a doctor. Review the daily regimen, enter into the diet of healthy foods with a high content of vitamins and minerals. Take a walk in the fresh air often and exercise regularly.