A runny nose in the morning and sneezing can be a physiological manifestation, as well as a symptom indicating the presence of certain diseases. What are the causes of rhinitis after sleep, and what treatment is required in this case?
The causes of morning rhinitis
Why is there a runny nose in the morning? Medical professionals identify the following causes of this clinical phenomenon:
- Overcooling of the body at night.
- Chronic rhinitis.
- Polyps, localized in the nasal cavity.
- Overdrying of mucous nasal membranes.
In children, a runny nose in the morning after waking up is a sign indicating the manifestation of infectious processes. In addition, we can talk about vasomatous rhinitis, provoked by excessive dryness of the air in the room where the baby’s sleep goes.
If every morning you have sneezing and nasal mucous discharge, this indicates the presence of certain health problems. In this case, it is strongly recommended to consult a qualified specialist who will determine the exact causes of the morning cold and prescribe the appropriate therapeutic course!
It is possible to establish the reasons why a runny nose and sneezing attacks appear in the morning by drawing attention to the characteristic symptoms that accompany this phenomenon. Allergic rhinitis may develop as a result of allergic reactions to dust, pet hair, or pollen. The morning rhinitis of allergic origin is accompanied by the following characteristic clinical signs and manifestations:
- Red eyes.
- The appearance of skin rash on an allergic type.
- Sore throat.
- Difficulty in nasal breathing.
If a runny nose occurs as a result of catarrhal diseases, then the following symptoms may be observed in patients:
- Increased body temperature.
- Joint and muscle pain.
- Abundant nasal discharge mucous character.
- Nasal congestion.
When do I need to see a doctor?
The consultation of a qualified specialist is necessary for any manifestations of chronic morning rhinitis. However, when the following warning signs appear, medical care should be sought immediately:
- Bouts of vertigo.
- General weakness, increased fatigue.
- Attacks of vomiting.
- The development of shortness of breath.
- Severe joint pain.
- Feverish condition.
- Puffiness of mucous membranes, localized in the nose, eyes or oropharynx.
How to cope with morning rhinitis?
Chronic rhinitis in the morning requires competent, adequate therapy, which will appoint a qualified specialist in the medical field after a preliminary diagnosis. It is possible to improve the patient’s condition with the help of vasoconstrictor medicines (they can be used for no more than 3 days in a row), nasal sinuses, warm-ups and inhalations using herbal tea and essential oils.
Treatment of allergic morning rhinitis
In the event that a runny nose on awakening is triggered by the manifestation of allergic reactions, first of all, care must be taken to eliminate the provoking factor – the allergen. After conducting a special allergic tests, the doctor prescribes a therapeutic course for the patient with the use of antihistamine drugs. In particularly difficult clinical situations, hormone therapy may be required. With a cold and sneezing, nasal sprays and aerosols of hormonal nature are prescribed to patients.
In addition, it is important to take care of creating extremely favorable conditions for the patient during a night’s sleep. To achieve these goals, medical specialists advise using the following recommendations:
- Carefully wash and rinse clothes, using for washing means without fragrances and allergenic components.
- Shower is required before bedtime with the replacement of clean underwear.
- To conduct regular wet cleaning in the room to avoid dust accumulation.
- In the period of flowering of plants that can provoke the development of allergic reactions, close the window at night, airing the room before going to bed.
- In the summer, it is recommended to curtain the windows with a damp gauze cloth before bedtime, which will protect the room from dust and allergenic pollen.
In the event that the attacks of allergic rhinitis are seasonal in nature, care should be taken in advance to prevent the manifestations of allergic symptoms. To achieve these goals, patients are prescribed courses of immunostimulating therapy aimed at strengthening the immune system.
Treatment of catarrhal rhinitis
Runny nose and bouts of sneezing in the morning can be a manifestation of diseases of viral, infectious, cold or respiratory origin.
Treatment in this case includes drug therapy. Depending on the condition and form of the disease, patients are prescribed painkillers, antivirals, anti-inflammatory, antipyretic drugs. The dosage and duration of the therapeutic course is determined by the specialist exclusively on an individual basis!
A good therapeutic effect is flushing the nose with soda or saline. For carrying out this therapeutic procedure, both special nasal aspirators and an ordinary rubber bulb of small size are used. The best results are obtained by washing the nasal cavity with a saline solution, characterized by the presence of disinfecting and anti-inflammatory properties, as well as contributing to the restoration of the normal functional state of the nasal mucous membranes.
With colds, steam inhalations can also be used. For this physiotherapeutic procedure, hot boiled potatoes, mint and eucalyptus essential oil, sage and chamomile decoctions are used. It should be emphasized that inhalation is contraindicated with increasing body temperature and the acute course of respiratory diseases.
With intensive sneezing, you can flush the nasal cavity using the following means:
- Potassium permanganate
- Fresh berry juice.
- Herbal infusion.
Washing will help eliminate puffiness and inflammatory processes, clear the cavity from the accumulation of mucus and pathogens causing sneezing.
Why is it necessary to treat morning rhinitis?
Rhinitis is a physiological process, which, if not treated, becomes chronic, fraught with the development of the following very dangerous complications:
- Difficulty in nasal breathing.
- Impairment of the immune system.
- Chronic infectious processes localized in the area of the respiratory tract and nasopharynx.
- Violation of the olfactory function.
Compliance with the following very simple recommendations will help prevent the occurrence of rhinitis and sneezing in the morning hours:
- Regularly air the room before bedtime.
- Do a wet cleaning at least twice a week.
- Use special humidifiers or vessels with water to increase the humidity and create a favorable microclimate.
- Do not suppress sneezing, as this may cause damage to the eardrum.
- In the period of exacerbation of infectious and respiratory diseases, take for preventive purposes vitamin-mineral complexes and immunostimulatory drugs that contribute to enhancing the body’s own defenses.
A runny nose in the morning is an alarming symptom that indicates the presence of certain health problems for the patient. The consultation of a qualified specialist will help to establish provoking factors and develop the most effective therapeutic course!