A freelancer is a private practitioner, as a rule, an employee of the creative or IT field: designer, programmer, copywriter, journalist, blogger, writer and
How to become a freelancer and earn over the Internet? This section describes 7 steps that will help you start making money on freelancing:
1. We get mail, wallets, Skype
“Gentlemen” set of freelancers – fast Internet, preferably a dedicated line, laptop or computer, e-mail, mobile phone, Skype to communicate with customers and receive tasks, bank card or electronic wallets Webmoney and
Also in the work will be useful task managers – special programs in which you can set yourself tasks and monitor their implementation. These and other useful services for freelancers are described in the section Useful Services and Tools for Freelancers.
2. Choose the services that we will provide
Decide what services you will offer? Dozens of specialists are in demand on the Internet, for example, copywriters, designers, programmers, web designers, social work professionals, contextual advertising specialists, content managers, moderators, community administrators, teachers, tutors, and engineers.
I recommend choosing a profession that will be interesting to you. To become a successful freelancer, you need to love your job. In the catalog of professions of freelancers, you can choose the appropriate area for you.
Do not worry if you have no experience or the necessary education.
Many freelancers don’t have one. And I did not have when I started. In freelancing you will have to master new knowledge – without this in any way. What can be done in this case:
- You can learn the basics of many professions for free by viewing educational channels on YouTube. Starting level is enough to complete simple projects and earn first money.
- You can master the profession through the Internet, for example, in the center of Netology. Practicing specialists teach there. You can study online from any city. After training you will receive a certificate confirming your qualification.
Learn simple ways to make money, for example, basic photo retouching, services in Photoshop, simple tasks, copywriting. This will allow you to start earning without experience and special education.
If you decide to master a new field, I recommend choosing an applied profession. For example, programmers solve specific problems and the result of their work is immediately visible (a working program or website). The same applies to designers and layout designers, contextual advertising specialists and SMM specialists. But the profession of an internet marketer is more general, and it may be more difficult for a marketer to find projects on freelance.
Have you decided to master a new profession in order to earn well? See how to choose the right new sphere.
3. Determine prices and competitive advantages.
Think about why customers should work with you? Newbies attract customers with low prices, but usually do not give any guarantees. Experienced freelancers take more money, but can show a large portfolio, positive feedback and customer recommendations.
I advise you to walk through freelance exchanges and see how much different performers ask for the services you offer. Evaluate your level and accordingly assign the price for services based on it. Think about your strengths and focus on them when communicating with a client. For example, you are always punctual and do the work on time – this is a very big advantage,
Read more in the Work with Clients section.
4. Making a portfolio
A portfolio is a list of your work for which a potential client makes a decision on cooperation. Therefore, the presence of a portfolio is a must!
What if there is no work experience and show customers nothing? Either work for free with the condition that you add work for the client to the portfolio, or for a very low fee. As a rule, if the employee does not ask for much, the first customers are quickly. And further, as the portfolio is filled and professionalism grows, fees can be raised.
We will tell by examples how a good freelancer portfolio should look and where it can be placed.
Overview of special sites for placing a portfolio of freelancers on the Internet.
How and what to fill in the portfolio for the beginning freelancer? There is no work for the portfolio – what to do in this case? Read our article!
5. We are looking for the first orders. Where to find a job?
The easiest way to find the first orders through friends. Tell your friends what you have been doing and ask them to bring you together with people who will be interested in your services. If there are no such acquaintances, the first orders can be obtained on the exchanges for freelancers.
Register on the appropriate exchanges and leave your contacts there. Describe in detail your services, advantages, strengths, unique features, fill out a profile with 10-15 projects as a minimum.
If possible, buy PRO accounts. They give more chances to get projects on stock exchanges,
Visit the communities and groups where representatives of your specialty communicate, and ask experienced colleagues to take you to your team. Let even a modest payment. The main thing is to get clients faster and start earning, and prices can always be raised as your experience and number of clients grow.
Where else can you look for work:
Top 7 exchanges of articles where copywriters, rewriters, text writers can earn.
6. Register IP and pay taxes
Any income is taxable. Failure to pay taxes is a serious violation of the law, you need to remember!
If freelancing is the main source of income, then in Russia it is desirable to register as an IP. First, there will be fewer problems with tax. Secondly, you will be able to work with large clients who want to pay for work without payment with the contract. Thirdly, you will not be registered as unemployed.
Useful articles on the topic:
7. Making a career
Not everyone wants all his life to write simple texts or create simple designs. Many people want to build a career. In freelance this is also possible. There are two ways of development:
- Grow professionally and become a top-class specialist. To do this, you need to constantly learn, learn new technologies, conduct experiments, create your own achievements. For example, some copywriters create their own writing styles and unwind on it. Extra class freelancers are very expensive. The cost of their consultation can reach up to 5-10 thousand rubles. at one o’clock.
- Create your team and take more projects to work. Gradually open a studio and grow into a business. This let is suitable for freelancers who like to communicate with clients, manage, build systems more.
Useful articles on the topic:
The first year in freelancing: tips for aspiring freelancers
Usually the first year is the most difficult. It is difficult to work at home, not to go anywhere, independently determine the work schedule, to look for clients. Difficulties will arise – without panic, this is normal!
- Focus on finding loyal customers – These are the most valuable customers. They will provide you with a load and a steady flow of money. Do not be afraid to start with modest fees. If the customer sees that you are a good employee, you can discuss the rate increase.
- Train negotiation skills. The network has a lot of videos and books on this topic. Negotiations, sales – these are the necessary skills for a freelancer.
Do not worry if some customers refuse to work with you.. It is absolutely normal if out of 10-15 potential customers only 1-2 reach the real order. Professional freelancers have the same performance.
Learn to plan your time and be sure to set aside an hour or two to rest.
The first year is the most difficult, but if you hold out and are able to find regular customers, you will find out how much more comfortable and comfortable it is to work as a freelancer than in the office!
- How to quickly find clients for the beginning freelancer?
- How to find good orders?
- How to earn 15, 30, 50, 100 thousand rubles. a month and more?
- How to make a resume that the employer will like?
- How to make a profile on the exchange?
- Ways to make money on the Internet – more than 30 ways to make money online.
- For beginners about freelancing – a series of useful articles for beginning freelancers to help you understand the basics of distant work.
Deceptions and scam – be sure to read this information and do not fall for them!
- Freelance TV is a useful channel about freelancing on YouTube. Be sure to subscribe to it in order to gain useful knowledge.
- The Freelancers Club is the largest freelancing community on VKontakte. Here you will find a lot of useful information and fresh projects for freelancers.
You have learned what freelancing is. How and where to look for customers, communicate with customers and receive orders. We got acquainted with various payment systems and schemes that guarantee the receipt of money. It remains to open the browser and plunge into the world of freelancing.