Repair in most cases is accompanied by confusion, large amounts of garbage and the smell of paint in the house. Aromas of paints and varnishes are often soaked in many things and objects in the room, which makes it even more difficult to combat the pungent smell. After all, the room itself would not be difficult to ventilate, but the volatile particles of paint penetrate into every nook and cranny, mix with the fibers of the fabrics, fill the pieces of furniture. All this leads to the fact that many are wondering how to get rid of the smell of paint in the apartment.
We should not forget that the unpleasant aroma of paint should be disposed of not so much from aesthetic considerations, as due to its harmful effects on the body. A strong odor can cause allergies, asthma, headaches, trigger an increase in blood pressure in hypertensive patients. Often, even completely healthy people react to paint with dizziness, nausea, impairment of well-being, drowsiness. This indicates the toxic effect of the components of these materials for coating walls and surfaces. Of course, this largely depends on the quality of the products. But almost any materials for decorative painting of rooms and furniture contain ingredients potentially hazardous to health.
Methods for eliminating unpleasant paint odor
Attempting to find information on how to get rid of the smell of paint, usually leads to finding many methods and options to deal with unpleasant odors. And it is very convenient: you can choose a method according to your capabilities and available resources. There are simple, but effective ways to deal with the smell of paint:
- Initially, you can reduce the effects of painting by observing simple rules: reduce air humidity in the house the day before, seal the container with paint when it is not in use, rinse brushes or rollers with water immediately after painting, and dry the painted surfaces with vinegar after drying. Wet cleaning should touch all other surfaces in the house.
- There is a recommendation to add vanilla to the paint. Instead of powder, you can use the essence, and not only vanilla, but also lemon or mint. Unfortunately, this is only a disguise, the harmful elements of the paint will evaporate in the same way and affect the body when inhaled. But for those who suffer painful odor of paint, advice may be useful.
- A necessary element in the fight against unpleasant odors is airing. Open the doors and windows preferably for less than a day. Fresh air will not only successfully erode the volatile toxic elements of paint from the room, but also contribute to the rapid drying of the paintwork of walls or objects. The fan or the conditioner will help with fight against a smell. An alternative to through-ventilation can be good ventilation. It is not always possible in a day to get rid of the unpleasant smell, in which case the ventilation should be continued, along with this method it would be useful to use other methods of neutralizing paint odors.
- It is great if there is an opportunity to use special devices – air ionizers. They attract particles of paint and contribute to their settling. Subsequent wet cleaning will help to finally get rid of the problem. Modern ozonizers produce ozone, which promotes the oxidation of the thinnest layer of molecules on the surface of objects. This action of ozone helps to eliminate the smell of paint. The device should work in the room from 30 to 60 minutes. Pre-need to be removed from the zone of impact of flowers and pets. Of course, you yourself also need to leave the house at the time of ozonation.
- Aromas of essential oils, incense can mask unpleasant odors, but, unfortunately, are not able to eliminate the toxic effect of paint ingredients. Therefore, this method should be used as a supplement to others. Lavender, sandalwood, bergamot, aroma of pine needles will help to saturate the air with pleasant aromas. If sticks or aromolamps are used, then the cleansing properties of fire are added to the masking effect. Airborne paint components will burn with oxygen.
- There are a number of ways to sorb strong-smelling substances, thus eliminating not only the smell, but also its source. You can use charcoal, soda, salt, ground coffee. Coal is laid indoors in several places. Being an excellent absorbent, it fairly quickly neutralizes the sharp smell. With the help of soda you can fight with the paint elements that saturate the carpet or upholstery. It is enough to sprinkle them with soda for the night, and remove them in the morning with a vacuum cleaner, and the smell of paint will significantly decrease. The arrangement of water tanks absorbing paint or varnish vapors also helps. Water is recommended to change at least twice a day.
- Water-moistened sheets and towels have a similar effect. For the method to work, you need to rinse the laundry in clean water every hour. It is better not to use new or favorite sheets, because it will not be so easy to wipe them off the unpleasant smell.
- Enhance the neutralizing effect of water by using vinegar, ammonia or salt. Adding one of these ingredients to choose from will lead to the fact that the smell of paint will soon cease to be felt.
- A great effect can be obtained using the aroma of citrus: lemon, orange, grapefruit. By spreading the fragrant fruit slices, you can significantly improve the smell in the room.
- To reduce the unpleasant smell, you can use candles. Fire cleans the air, burning harmful fumes and volatile paint elements. Candles should be left lit for a few hours. Do not forget about the rules of fire safety.
- A somewhat risky way to force out the smell of paint is to spread the quarters of a bow in a room. Garlic has a similar effect. You can enhance the flavor by rubbing the onions and grated slices. Not everyone will find the method acceptable for themselves, but you can use it in the absence of other ingredients to combat the smell of paint. It is important not to overdo it, and then later have to get rid of garlic and onion smell.
- Much nicer to use the aroma of coffee. It can be cups with brewed drink or simply ground coffee spread out in several containers. This is only a disguise of unpleasant smell, but often it is necessary. After use, the coffee must be thrown away.
The best effect can be obtained by combining different methods: airing, absorption, aromatization. In any situation, do not forget about wet cleaning.
After painting the room or its individual elements, it is important not to forget that an unpleasant smell is not the most basic problem. The main thing is to protect yourself from the harmful effects of toxic fumes. It is better to take measures to eliminate odor and toxic substances in the air and leave the premises for a while. It is recommended not to try to paint the whole room at once, take breaks, if necessary, use respiratory equipment. For indoor work, it is better to choose specially-designed high-quality materials.