Our smaller brothers, no, no, yes, and they will remind you of what kind they are, plaintively and shrillly howling to the whole district, like wild wolves. But why is the dog howling and is it worth being afraid of this event, or is it better to try to understand the situation. Of course, each person knows how to act, but still it is worth considering all the options.
Signs about why the dog howls
Even the most skeptical people have two or three superstitions in store, the veracity of which is beyond doubt. Whether it is a black cat, clothes inside out or a howling dog, a sign can work on a subconscious level, eclipsing the voice of reason.
What does the popular rumor say about a mournfully howling dog? Here are just a few beliefs:
- If the animal is sitting still, with its head thrown back, and howling, then such serenades (as they say on the moon) say that a fire will happen soon.
- The dog howls, head down to the ground – it is necessary to wait for the misfortune with fatal outcome. If at the same time it also digs the ground, then the event will happen very soon.
- According to legend, the dog always knows about his future demise and broadcasts it, howling in a sitting or lying position.
- If the animal howls in the left side, or in the right, then from there it is worth waiting for trouble.
- The dog is not just howling, but at the same time shakes his head – that, as they say, the trouble does not come alone, it is worth waiting for a series of tragic events.
Of course, to believe or not to believe is a personal matter, but still people want to understand why a dog howls?
Logical explanation of some superstitions
Many mystical phenomena have a logical scientific explanation, what does the science of folk signs say about howl?
There are no answers to why dogs smell fires before they start, as the dog cannot smell anything before the smoke appears. But with the approaching demise of man, some solutions have been found. Experts have shown that dogs can feel the natural death, and this is all due to their sensitive sense of smell.
On the eve of death, the human body triggers extinction processes that are irreversible. The metabolism slows down significantly, the amount of energy consumed decreases, a special smell emanates from a person, which a dog’s nose can pick up. And the dog lowers the nose to the ground not because of the fact that the person will be buried, but in order not to feel this dying “aroma”.
In this case, the dog’s howl can alternate with a mournful whining, and the pet often avoids the sick owner, trying to hide from him with his tail between his legs.
Causes of dog howling
What can a dog howl signal? Maybe the dog, therefore, wants to tell us something? Dog handlers and veterinarians have several assumptions about this:
- “Sad and sad to me.” If a dog howls when left alone, this is an expression of unwillingness to be alone. The four-footed friend does not understand why in the evening gathering in a warm company, in the morning the hosts are forced to leave. Some of them seem to have been abandoned.
- “I am sick”. Everyone knows that dogs are the most patient of creatures. But even their patience can come to an end, and howling can be a sign of internal diseases. If the pet howls regularly, then it is necessary to consult a veterinarian for advice.
- “Oh, how glad I am!” Dogs are like people, all different. Some rejoice, bouncing merrily and knocking them down, others with ringing barking and intense waving of the tail, well, someone, singing and howling with delight. If this happens at a meeting all the time, then you should not worry about such a manifestation of joy.
- Dog-music lover. The dog has a rather sensitive hearing, close to the human range. In addition, in terms of susceptibility, this figure is much higher – dogs can distinguish notes with a difference of 1/8 tone. This advantage was learned to use by shepherds, teaching dogs to commands not with the help of gestures or voice, but using whistles. There is an opinion that the four-legged friends have the same center in the cerebral cortex as the person who is responsible for the perception of music, allowing not only to listen to it, but also to evaluate it based on their own preferences. This is evidenced by the fact that dogs in some cases try to get away from the sound source, but sometimes they begin to howl under the tracks they like. Most often, the choice of pets falls on classical music.
- “Hey, master, I’m afraid!” The full moon mysteriously affects not only people, but also dogs. If a person may feel bad on the full moon, have trouble sleeping, then a bright moon disk may simply frighten your pet. Dogs howl at the moon, because in many aspects their sensitivity is higher than that of humans, therefore this period may affect them more intensely. In addition to anxiety, animals, even while indoors, can show aggression during the full moon.
- Communication with relatives. Of course, apartment dogs are deprived of such pleasure – to communicate with their fellow people from neighboring apartments or entrances. But in private sectors, dogs even with great pleasure inform the neighborhood with their howls. It is only one dog in the yard howl how all the others join it.
- Howling, as an expression of discontent. Dogs are highly emotional. They are alien to hide emotions, whether it be joy, sadness, or dissatisfaction with the situation. A pet may begin to howl before procedures that he does not like – washing, cutting, brushing teeth or dressing wounds. And they do it so skillfully that sometimes the “execution” is postponed.
- Howling, like attracting attention. Dogs, especially young ones, require special attention, they want to be petted and played. And often the howl is another way to remind the owner about yourself. In this situation, you need to pay attention to him only after the cessation of the howl.
Is it possible to wean a dog howl and how to do it
If the pet is actively responding to any sounds – alarm siren, music, other dogs screaming, then in this case you just need to wait for them to stop.
In the case of a lonely howl, when no one is home, you should think about entertainment for your beloved dog. You can equip it with rubber toys, beeper, and also leave the radio turned on so that the dog can hear that he is not alone. At the same time, returning home, you need to surround the animal with attention, caress and play with it.
You can devote some time to weaning, going out the door, and returning only after the good behavior of the four-legged friend. The pet must understand that its owner will return to it, only on condition of silence.
If howling is a simple way to attract attention, then if possible, it is worth ignoring it. The dog should not achieve the desired in this way.
In this case, the method of training is also successfully applied. As soon as the dog begins to howl, you need to clearly give her the command: “Speak!” And accompany her with praise. Then the command “Quiet!” Is given in the same tone. Of course, initially it is not necessary to wait for complete obedience, but as soon as the pet has obeyed, it is necessary to reply: “Good.” And be sure to reinforce the success of your favorite delicacy. In the process of training the last phrase should be pronounced late and late, increasing the time. Dogs catch everything on the fly, and they will soon learn to understand and execute these commands.
There are situations when a dog “outgrows” its small inclinations, and, having ceased to nibble on shoes and make pools, the animal throws and howls.
Of course, weaning should be done if the howl for a dog is a common whim, a lesson from boredom. In other cases, he helps her to talk about their problems and needs, is a means of communication or a way to have fun, sing. After all, pets also have the right to vote.