No matter how peaceful a person is, he still has to enter into conflict at least once in his life. And if we talk about the working team, here disagreements happen very often. Therefore, information on methods of resolving social conflicts is relevant for managers, although an ordinary employee can find use for them, so let’s take a closer look at these methods.
Constructive conflict resolution methods
- The most popular way to cope with disagreements is to avoid conflict. The meaning of the method is to leave (physically, economically or psychologically) the place of conflict. The advantage of the method is the speed of decision making. This method is relevant in the presence of other more serious circumstances, the insignificance of the cause of the conflict, the greater strength of the opponent, the need for additional information. When using this method, the existence of a problem is often denied, and delaying the solution and observing strict secrecy is also applied. Unfortunately, the method is not suitable in the presence of important problems, the long existence of the causes of conflict or the inadmissibility of temporary losses.
- Equally often used method of adaptation and assignment. It is irreplaceable if one of the parties feels wrong or there is a need to create a platform for future disputes. Also, the reception is good when your opponent is more interested in the subject of the dispute, and you want to win over him for future cooperation.
- If the organization focuses on collective work, then among all methods of resolving interpersonal conflicts, the method of smoothing is preferable. It is based on emphasizing the idea of community, the need to eliminate differences for further collaboration.
- Not every confrontation should be held openly, there are a number of cases when this is unacceptable (for example, the risk of losing the image, a confluence of circumstances, a lack of resources for open confrontation or the impossibility of involving an opponent in this kind of conflict). Then the method of hidden actions is used, within the framework of which various types of influences can be used – from legal to bribery and sabotage. The application of the method may entail negative consequences, for example, provoke a negative attitude of employees towards management.
- With a lack of time or solid certainty of complete clarity of what is happening, the quick solution method is used. But it will be effective only if both sides want to go towards each other, then the winnings will be mutual. The advantages of the method over other methods of resolving social conflicts are speed, mutual respect of partners and the development of solutions favorable for both parties.
- Negotiations as a method of conflict resolution are used in the event of a desire to reach a compromise, that is, both sides are ready to take middle positions on the arising contradictions. The use of the method is advisable if there is enough time, limited resources or unacceptability of loss. Such a method of conflict resolution as negotiations can be applied only if each side wishes to go forward and yield.
- When compromise is unavailable, the method of cooperation is used, here the parties are not ready to give in, assuming a middle position. Therefore, in this case, reveal a situation that will allow both parties to win.
In addition to the above methods, the force method can be used, but this is justified in the rarest of cases. Imposing your decision on the other side can be used in emergency situations when quick response is required. A method will be effective only if there is a significant superiority of the administration over the staff.