Bactrim is a combination antimicrobial drug related to sulfonamides.
However, in addition to sulfamethoxazole, it also contains trimethoprim, which is a derivative of diaminopyrimidine. The mechanism of action of this drug is based on the ability of sulfonamides to influence the biological processes taking place inside the bacterial cell, and trimethoprim further enhances the antibacterial effect.
On this page you will find all the information about Bactrim: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Bactrim. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Combined antimicrobial drug consisting of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released on prescription.
How much is bactrim? The average price in pharmacies is 160 rubles.
Release form and composition
Available medicine in the form:
- Bactrim tablets containing 400 mg of sulfamethoxazole and 80 mg of trimethoprim;
- Suspensions for oral administration Bactrim, 5 ml (1 scoop) of which contains 240 mg of co-timoxazole – 200 mg of sulfamethoxazole and 40 mg of trimethoprim;
- Bactrim Forte coated tablets containing 960 mg of co-timoxazole – 800 mg of sulfamethoxazole and 160 mg of trimethoprim;
- Bactrim tablets for children containing 100 mg of sulfamethoxazole and 20 mg of trimethoprim.
Bactrim has a bactericidal effect, showing activity against various microorganisms.
These include the E. coli, gonococa, , pathogenic fungi, plasmodia, histoplasma, actinomycetes, as well as causative agents of Pneumonia, tularemia, nocardiosis, coccidioidosis and legionellosis.
Microorganisms such as Pseudomonas aeruginosa, coryneform bacteria and viruses are resistant to the action of the drug. The therapeutic effect after taking Bactrim lasts seven hours.
Indications for use
The use of Bactrim is indicated for the following infectious diseases:
- Infections of upper respiratory tract: tonsillitis, scarlet fever, laryngitis, sinusitis, otitis media.
- Gastrointestinal infections: cholera, typhoid fever and paratyphoid fever, cholangitis, gastroenteritis, cholecystitis, dysentery, salmonello carrier.
- Respiratory tract infections: chronic and acute bronchitis, exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, pneumocystis and lobar pneumonia, bronchopneumonia, bronchiectasis.
- Infections of the skin: acne, pyoderma, furunculosis, wound infections.
- Urogenital infections: gonococcal urethritis, soft chancre, cystitis, inguinal granuloma, pyelonephritis, gonorrhea, pyelitis, prostatitis, epididymitis, venereal lymphogranuloma.
- Other bacterial infections caused by a number of microorganisms: osteoarticular infections, brucellosis, toxoplasmosis, nocardiosis, acute and chronic osteomyelitis, actinomycetomas, South American blastomycosis, malaria.
According to the instructions Bactrim is not prescribed for sensitivity to it (in
Do not prescribe Bactrim children prematurely and in the first 6 weeks. The instructions of Bactrim state that he is prescribed with caution in case of diseases of the thyroid gland, bronchial asthma, and folic acid deficiency.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
An antibiotic is not considered strictly teratogenic and embryotoxic drug. However, it is recommended to take it during pregnancy only when the benefit of it significantly exceeds the possible harmful effects.
During lactation it is also better to avoid taking “Bactrim”, since both of its active components will get to the newborn along with the mother’s milk, after which the child may develop unwanted reactions. Children of this age can not even syrup.
Instructions for use
In the instructions for use indicated that before the appointment of the patient Bactrim, it is desirable to determine the sensitivity of the microflora to him, which caused the disease in the patient. Assign inside after eating (morning and evening).
- Suspension: children 3-6 months – 120 mg 2 times a day, 7 months-3 years – 120-240 mg 2 times a day, 4-6 years – 240-480 mg 2 times a day, 7-12 years – 480 mg 2 times a day, adults and children over 12 years old – 960 mg 2 times a day. Syrup for children: children 1-2 years old – 120 mg 2 times a day, 2-6 years – 180-240 mg 2 times a day, 6-12 years – 240-480 mg 2 times a day.
- Inside (tablets), adults and children over 12 years old – 960 mg once, or 480 mg 2 times a day. For severe infections, 480 mg 3 times a day, for chronic infections, a maintenance dose is 480 mg 2 times a day. Children 1-2 years old – 120 mg 2 times a day, 2-6 years – 120-240 mg 2 times a day, 6-12 years – 240-480 mg 2 times a day.
The minimum duration of treatment is 4 days; after the symptoms disappear, therapy is continued for 2 days. In chronic infections, the treatment course is longer. In acute brucellosis – 3-4 weeks, with typhoid and paratyphoid – 1-3 months.
- For the prevention of recurrence of chronic urinary tract infections in adults and children over 12 years old – 480 mg 1 time per night for children under 12 years old – 12 mg / kg / day. Duration of treatment – 3-12 months. The course of treatment of acute cystitis in children of 7-16 years old is 480 mg 2 times a day for 3 days.
- With gonorrhea – 1920-2880 mg / day for 3 doses.
- With gonorrheal pharyngitis (with hypersensitivity to penicillin) – 4320 mg 1 time per day for 5 days. In pneumonia caused by Pneumocystis carinii, 120 mg / kg / day with an interval of 6 hours for 14 days.
What adverse reactions can the drug Bactrim cause? Instructions for use (for children suspension – although the best choice, but still assigned only by indication) indicates the following adverse events:
- On the part of the respiratory system: bronchospasm, pulmonary infiltrates.
- Of the nervous system: headache, dizziness; in some cases – aseptic meningitis, depression, apathy, tremor, peripheral neuritis.
- From the side of blood-forming organs: leukopenia, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, agranulocytosis, megaloblastic anemia.
- From the musculoskeletal system: arthralgia, myalgia.
- Local reactions: thrombophlebitis (at the site of venipuncture), soreness at the injection site.
- On the part of the urinary system: polyuria, interstitial nephritis, renal dysfunction, crystalluria, hematuria, increased urea concentration, hypercreatininemia, toxic nephropathy with oliguria and anuria.
- On the part of the digestive system: nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea, gastritis, abdominal pain, glossitis, stomatitis, cholestasis, increased activity of ‘hepatic’ transaminases, hepatitis, hepatonecrosis, pseudomembranous enterocolitis.
- Allergic reactions: itching, photosensitization, rash, exudative erythema multiforme (in
If the dose exceeds the allowable, the patient will notice nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, pain in the head, fainting, confusion and urine in the form of meat slop due to the presence of blood in the latter. The temperature may rise. If overdose occurs constantly, the patient’s blood formula suffers: conditions such as leukopenia (decrease in leukocyte count), thrombocytopenia, jaundice, and megaloblastic anemia (deficiency of B 12 and folic acid) develop.
Gastric lavage, an increase in fluid intake, and intramuscular injection of calcium and folic acid at a dose of 5-15 mg are used as methods to combat the overdose of Bactrim. Sometimes, in especially severe cases of drug poisoning, hemodialysis has to be performed.
Before using Bactrim, it is imperative to carefully read the instructions and pay attention to such specific instructions for its use:
- Suspension Bactrim is not used to treat pregnant women. During breastfeeding, for the entire period of treatment, the child is transferred to feeding with adapted milk formulas.
- During long-term treatment with Bactrim, there is a need to regularly determine the number of formed elements in the blood. With a significant decrease in the number of any of the elements, therapy should be canceled. Patients with severe hematological pathologies can be prescribed co-trimoxazole only in the most extreme cases.
- The use of the drug in the elderly, against the background of folic acid deficiency in the body can lead to the development of changes in hematological parameters (leukopenia, thrombocytopenia). Therefore, in such categories of patients, the drug is prescribed with caution with periodic clinical blood analysis.
- During treatment, the body’s water balance is monitored and a sufficient supply of fluid and mineral salts is ensured.
- The drug can interact with some drugs of other pharmacological groups (diuretic drugs, antibiotics, anticoagulants), so before you start using it, you must warn the doctor about taking other medicines.
In pharmacies, the drug is released only by prescription. In case of any doubts, questions regarding his reception, it is necessary to consult with a doctor.
When taken together with indirect anticoagulants increase their activity, as well as enhance the effects of Methotrexate and hypoglycemic drugs.
Patients who took the drug in question in the form of a suspension and tablets respond ambiguously about it. For some people, this medication seemed highly effective and became an excellent helper in the fight against various diseases, and for others – it caused only side effects.
Experts explain such ambiguous reviews by the fact that “Bactrim” really has many contraindications, as well as a large list of undesirable reactions. In this regard, his appointment is advisable only if other methods of treatment do not help the patient.
Reviews of this syrup are also varied. They do not provide an opportunity to form a definite opinion on its safety and effectiveness. According to parents, this medicine should be prescribed only by a pediatrician and only after a thorough medical examination. Only in this case, the treatment will be effective and relatively safe for the child.
Analogs of Bactrim are the following drugs:
- According to the active substance: Bi-Septin, Biseptol, Bleifeptol, Dvaseptol, Co-trimoxazole, Metosulfolabol;
- On the mechanism of action: Sulfaton.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Bactrim is a drug belonging to Schedule B, available on prescription. The rules for its storage – dry, protected from sunlight exposure at temperatures up to 25 ºС. If these conditions are met, Bactrim has a shelf life of 5 years.