Many believe that pain in the ears is an exclusively childhood disease that adults simply cannot get sick. This is a very big mistake, because infections and bacteria do not care how old a person is. Yes, of course, this happens much more often in childhood, but this does not mean that elders cannot have pain, and you can forget how to treat it.
Causes of ear pain
Ear pain: the main causes
Everyone is used to the fact that the main cause of ear pain is a complication after suffering a cold or flu. In fact, not only this can give impetus to the appearance of the inflammatory process.
The main reasons why a person may experience pain in the ears include:
- Inflammatory processes in the ears, which are called otitis. They can occur against the background of a respiratory viral disease, or separately, regardless of whether there was a cold or a runny nose, or not.
- Inflammation of the sphenoid sinus, with the result that the trigeminal nerve transmits a signal to the ear.
- Inflammation of the lymph nodes, resulting in pain.
- Damage to the intervertebral discs.
- Inflammation in the larynx, which often happens with sore throat or laryngitis.
- Tumors in the throat, both malignant and benign. They put pressure on the nerves, thereby causing the body to react in this way.
- A parasite or a bug gets into the ear, as a result of which they put pressure on the eardrum.
- Water entering the ear, especially this happens often with swimmers or just while swimming in ponds and pools.
- The defeat of the auditory nerve, which can occur either due to injury, or due to complications due to not treating the common cold.
- Brain pathology.
Only a doctor can determine exactly what is the cause of pain in the ears and prescribe treatment. But basically it is infection and the beginning of the inflammatory process.
Otitis is one of the most common causes of ear pain.
He manifests himself as follows:
- Painful sensations in the auricle area. Often patients note that when touched and pressed on the ear, the pain becomes unbearable.
- Increased body temperature, and it can rise slightly to 37.5 degrees, and maybe even high 39, which indicates a serious inflammatory process.
- Hearing problems, namely its decline. And the person begins to hear the wrong ear, in which the inflammation began.
- Noises in the ears, which can both subside and reappear.
- Puffiness and reddening, especially when the focus of inflammation is close.
- Discharge of pus.
When the above symptoms appear, treatment should be initiated to avoid complications.
As a rule, treatment involves the following actions:
- Prescribing antibiotics if the cause of otitis is a bacterial infection. True, they need to be selected individually, since not all drugs are capable of equally affecting various pathogens.
- Prescribing antiviral drugs if the disease is of viral origin.
- Appointment of vasoconstrictor drops, which are able to remove edema in the ear. It is edema that can provoke painful sensations. Among the best drugs can be identified Tizin, Nazivin.
- Appointment of antipyretic drugs, if the body temperature has risen. Nurofen yl Paracetamol is the most commonly prescribed.
- Appointment drops, which will help reduce the inflammatory process. They should also be selected by a doctor because each drug has a number of side effects. In addition, some may simply relieve swelling, others inflammation, some may anesthetize, and others may even be a local antibiotic. Among the most famous drops in the ears, you can assign Otipaks, Otofa, Sofradeks.
- The use of compresses. True, despite the excellent positive effect of compresses, they can be used only when there is no pus. Otherwise, the effect will be extremely negative, as the pus will begin to spread further.
In addition to everything else, if there is a traffic jam, which itself does not recede, the doctor may prescribe a puncture.
If otitis does not heal in time, a complication such as mastoiditis (inflammation of the temporal bone) may develop.
Inflammation of the lymph nodes
Another common reason why ears can hurt is inflammation of the lymph nodes located in close proximity.
This most often occurs if an infection has been introduced into the body that has provoked this increase. And that is why the main forces should be directed towards eliminating the original cause, but in addition to this, the consequences, that is, the nodes themselves must be treated.
Most doctors prefer to prescribe broad-spectrum antibiotics right away to precisely kill the infection that has penetrated.
And sometimes this is correct, because the delay in time and the simple expectation that everything goes by itself leads to complications.
In addition, to reduce pain in the area of lymphatic catch, as well as gradually reduce their size, you can also use drugs (ointments), such as Fast Gel, which not only relieves pain, but also has an anti-inflammatory effect. Often, in inflammation of the lymph nodes, especially near the ears, in addition to pain, symptoms such as swelling, general malaise, which is manifested by increased fragility, lack of appetite, an increase in body temperature, may appear.
The very first aid in the inflammation of the lymph nodes is rubbing with special ointments and taking antiviral drugs. And then you need to consult a doctor so that he can find out exactly what caused the increase.
Sore throat and ear pain
Earache in sore throat
Not everyone knows what the disease is, as a sore throat can lead to pain in the ears. This is especially the case with nasopharyngeal sore throat, when the third tonsil is inflamed, which is not visible to the naked eye.
In that case, a person will have a bad cold, and he will not be the same as everyone used to see him. There will be no current water from the nose, strong sneezing, scratching and itching. Just at one moment, the nose will be completely stuffed, and when you try to blow your nose, it will hardly come out of thick and yellow mucus, which indicates the penetration of bacteria into the organism, that is, a bacterial infection.
It is very important to establish such a sore throat on time, because in most cases it provokes not only pain in the ears, but also other unpleasant symptoms.
Among these symptoms will be increased body temperature, which is difficult to bring down with antipyretic drugs, the lack of a long-lasting effect from the vasoconstrictor drugs (no matter how much you don’t drip, your nose will not breathe anyway), sore throat, tinnitus. In addition, a person will feel unwell, will tend to sleep.
It is possible to treat such a sore throat only with the help of antibiotics, because other drugs will not have any effect.
Video. Ear pain: causes and treatment.
To cure the nasopharyngeal tonsillitis, and with it, and get rid of the pain in the ears, you will first need to contact a specialist, who will prescribe a treatment:
- Taking antibiotics. In order to achieve a positive effect of treatment and improvement of health as quickly as possible, it is best to prick antibiotics, and not to drink, because when taking pills, the effect will be cumulative, and when administered intramuscularly, the drug will immediately reach the goal.
- Instillation of local antibiotics in the nose. Everyone knows that the ears and the nasal cavity are closely related to each other. And so you need to drip drops in your nose, such as Tsipromed, to help eliminate the infection faster.
- Flushing the nose, which will help as soon as possible to remove the accumulated mucus.
- The use of the drug Nasonex, which is hormonal and quickly reduces swelling in the nose.
- If the pain in the ears is severe, then the doctor may, in addition to the above preparations, also prescribe drops in the ears.
Earache in a child
Causes and treatment of earache in children
Separately, you need to consider the case when the pain in the ear appears in the child. And if with adults the situation is a little different, it can be said simpler, then in the case of children it is necessary to be much more careful, since their bodies are weaker and any incorrectly prescribed drug can harm rather than benefit.
Most often, the pain catches the baby at night. Therefore, all parents should remember what emergency measures can be taken to help their child. But at once it is worth making a reservation that these measures are extremely urgent, in the morning you will need to go to the doctor for appointments.
Emergency measures include:
- In the event that a child has a runny nose in addition to pain in the ears, the first thing to do is to ease his breathing. Make it easy. It is necessary to drip in the nose either Otrivin or Nazivin. Depending on what the parents use when the child has a cold.
- Insert a tampon moistened with boric alcohol in your ear and apply a bandage to keep your ear warm. If this does not help, then you can drop any ear drops, for example, Otipaks, which, in addition to the warming and anti-inflammatory effect, also have anesthetic. Some prefer to use homemade spirit tinctures, but this should be done with care so as not to burn the mucous.
- Give the child an anesthetic drug. And you can slightly increase the dosage, as the pain in the ears is usually severe and does not immediately pass.
- Give a sedative, especially when the child often climbs to the ear, naughty.
- If the child does not have a fever, then a warming compress can be put on the ear, which will relax the muscles and calm the nerves. However, with a warming compress you need to be careful, because if an abscess suddenly appears, it will cause harm.
The best drugs for pain in the ears
Drug treatment of ear pain
Most often, doctors prescribe them and the same drugs that are popular with them and have proven themselves as good means.
The best drugs for pain in the ears include:
- Otipaks. Having come to any pharmacy and asking for pain in the ears, almost everyone hears the same thing – Otipaks. It has not only an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory effect, but also relieves pain. Assign it, both adults and children. True, there are several contraindications, which include individual intolerance to certain components of the drug, damage to the eardrum, and lidocaine allergy.
- Boric alcohol. It is an excellent antiseptic, which can be both instilled into the ears, and used as flagella. Before using alcohol, it is necessary to warm it up a little, because only in this state it will be able to have not only an antiseptic effect, but also a warming one.
- Otofa This drug is considered a local broad-spectrum antibiotic, and therefore should be prescribed exclusively by a doctor. It is active against most pathogens, such as staphylococcus, streptococcus, gonococcus, etc. It should be applied three times a day, and it is also desirable to heat it a little.
- Normaks. This drug is also considered a local antibiotic, and is used if the patient has purulent otitis. Only a doctor can prescribe it, and only as part of complex therapy, and not separately. It is prohibited to use it in children whose age is under 12 years old, as well as in people with hypersensitivity to certain components of the drug.
Despite the fact that the above medicines will have one hundred percent positive effect, only a doctor can prescribe them, based on the severity of the problem and the individual characteristics.
Folk remedies for ear pain
Some people neglect medication treatment and turn to traditional medicine, which is not always effective. It can be used in complex therapy to speed up the healing process.
The best folk recipes for pain in the ears include:
- Recipe 1. Vegetable oils. Well help to soothe the pain, as a simple aching, and shooting, any vegetable oils. The most commonly used almond, walnut. You need to take about 2-3 drops and drip in each ear. After that, tie a warm scarf
- Recipe 2. Beets. You need to take one small beet, peel it, cut it and boil it with honey. After the beets are ready, you need to put the mixture onto the sore ear.
- Recipe 3. Onions. You need to take a few small pieces of onions and wrap them in gauze. Then insert into the ear, but not deep. As a rule, after some time, not only earache passes, but the nasal congestion also disappears
- Recipe 4. Walnut leaves. We need to take a few fresh leaves of walnut and squeeze juice from them. After that, 4 potassium of juice is buried in each ear.
- Recipe 5. Beetroot Juice. You need to boil the beets, and then squeeze the juice out of it. After that, you need to bury a few drops of juice in each ear.
- Recipe 6. Chamomile infusion. You need to take one tablespoon of chamomile and pour a glass of boiling water. Let it sit for about half an hour, then strain well. After the broth has cooled, they can wash the ear. Chamomile is known to have good antiseptic and healing properties.
- Recipe 7. Infusion of lemon balm. You need to take one teaspoon of lemon balm and pour a glass of boiling water. After that, wait until the broth is cooled and strain. Then you can bury it in your ear or drink it like plain tea.
- Recipe 8. Honey and propolis tincture. You need to take honey and alcohol tincture of propolis and mix in a one-to-one relationship, that is, one teaspoon of honey and one teaspoon of tincture. These drops need to bury two or three times a day in a sore ear.
Many are tormented by the question of how to treat pain in the ears, because it is most often unbearable and unpleasant.
One of the peculiarities of ear pain is that it appears mainly at night, and it is quite difficult to appease it, especially in young children.
Therefore, when pain occurs, an urgent need to contact a specialist who will conduct an inspection and determine the cause of the indisposition, and only for this reason will prescribe treatment. It should be noted that in no case can not be treated independently, as most often this leads to a serious complication, among which the most common is deafness.