The mysterious and mysterious theme of dreams has interested scientists since ancient times. However, they did not succeed in achieving much success in this area to this day. What happens to a man in the arms of Morpheus? This question does not give rest to many scientists. Of course, at the moment there is a mass of various theories and assumptions. For several centuries, scientists have studied such a strange phenomenon as a person talking in a dream.
Types of speaking
Dr. A. L. Epstein, who was closely involved in the study of speaking, conditionally divided this phenomenon into three types: fragmentary, narrative, and rapport.
- Fragmentary slang is a patter of words or phrases that are repetitive. To sort out exactly what a person says is practically impossible. In this case, the sleeper behaves quite restlessly: he constantly turns, waves his hands, moves his legs.
- Narrative speaking – expressed in a detailed conversation with an imaginary interlocutor or in the retelling of events that occurred on this day.
- Rapporting is a conversation between the sleeper and the person who is awake at the moment.
It should be noted that the phenomenon of talking in a dream was intensively studied only in recent decades, after the emergence of such a method of research as polysomnography. So, what do scientists know about talking children in a dream at the moment?
- According to statistics, only five percent of the inhabitants of the earth speak in a dream.
- In adulthood, this habit is more often affected by male representatives. And in childhood, on the contrary – small representatives of the fair sex.
- Some scientists are convinced that the saying is inherited. Some of them believe that this feature is directly related to sleepwalking.
- According to statistics, in adults, speaking is much less common than in children. The frequency of conversation in a dream in young children is about 20%.
- It’s funny, but conversations during the daytime sleep are recorded extremely rarely.
Studying this phenomenon, the scientists gave it the scientific name – “somnilquia”. Most doctors consider somnilquia to be a safe phenomenon, however they warn parents about the possibility of attaching additional dangerous symptoms, which radically change the situation and require urgent specialist consultation.
Why children talk in their sleep: 5 reasons
- Medical problems. Very often, children talk in their sleep at high temperature, in the presence of infectious diseases, during intoxication, during fever. Overdose of some drugs can also lead to somnilquia.
- Narcological problems. Long conversations during sleep should alert parents of teenagers. According to many doctors, such dialogues are a typical symptom for drug-addicted patients.
- Psychological problems. Even minor mental disorders in children lead to serious sleep disorders. Children may complain of insomnia, restless and intermittent sleep. During sleep, they talk, scream, give out negative emotions that have accumulated from them during the day. Most scientists believe that the psyche of young children is very agile, even the most insignificant event can cause them stress. A child in such an unusual way tries to adapt to new circumstances for him. However, if the conversations in a dream are caused by nightmares, the child screams or cries – parents should seek help from specialists. To delay the visit to the doctor in this case is not worth it.
- Emotional factors . Sensitive and overly emotional children often talk in their sleep. They survive and re-speak the events that have disturbed them. For example, the child had a birthday, he spoke with new friends in kindergarten, he had an interesting toy and
Why does a child talk in a dream and scream, cry, walk or speak in an incomprehensible language?
We have already listed 5 main reasons why a child can talk in a dream. Basically calm conversations and dialogues in a dream do not bring any harm to the child. As a rule, by the age of ten, the “night talkers” fall silent and lead conversations only in the waking state. Most scientists believe that talking while sleeping helps children experience new impressions and emotions. And this is quite normal.
However, there are special cases when the night talkers do not interfere with a closer look. Often night speaking in children is accompanied by sleepwalking. The child, talking, walks around the room, moves things, goes outside, eats – he performs all these manipulations while in a dream. Of course, sleepwalking itself is very dangerous, because the child does not control his actions. Therefore, if parents have noticed this behavior in a child, they should immediately contact a specialist for help.
Pediatrician Komarovsky :
It is also worth reducing the emotional load in the afternoon, arrange everything so that he goes to sleep not after the TV, but after a quiet walk or after a warm bath. Practically this is all that depends on you (parents). In general, it remains to experiment with the daily routine, wait, do not fuss – this is all temporary trouble.
A somnilquia is dangerous if it is accompanied by the following additional symptoms:
- Bouts of choking.
- Recurring nightmares.
- Screams and crying.
- Gnashing of teeth.
- Abundant salivation.
- Confusion of consciousness after awakening.
- Severe sweating.
- Aggressiveness upon waking.
If one of these symptoms is present, parents must necessarily talk with a neuropathologist.
If your baby speaks in a dream rarely, while his behavior is absolutely calm – you should not worry. Most likely, speaking is the result of stress experienced during the day. By the way, stress can be not only negative. Strong positive emotions and vivid impressions can also produce a similar effect. Children are much more sensitive to any events, and their nervous system is less stable. That is why babies talk in a dream much more often than adults.
Speaking in a dream in children: treating somnilquia
Any miraculous drugs for the little talkers medicine has not yet invented. Yes, most of them are not required. Indeed, in itself somnilkviya is not a pathology.
If a child jumps up at night, screams, cries, grit his teeth, shows aggression after waking up or cannot concentrate for a long time – you need to consult a neurologist for advice. Perhaps nightly talk is one of the symptoms of a more serious illness.
What do the conversations of a child in a dream mean: opinions of experts
As we have said, most specialists do not consider somnilvia pathology. However, a number of tips to concerned parents, they still give. We will list a few standard recommendations that are given by experienced professionals involved in the study of this phenomenon.
Too emotional children should not:
- At bedtime, play noisy, active games. An hour or two before bedtime, they can be carried away by drawing or reading a book.
- Parents should not punish or shout at the child before bedtime.
- It is impossible for a child to fall asleep in front of the TV.
- The baby should fall asleep in a well-ventilated room.
- For educational purposes, one should not frighten the baby before going to bed by an evil wizard, Baba Yaga or a fabulous monster.
- The last words that the child wants to hear before bedtime should sound something like this: “I love you very much. May you have the most beautiful dream! ” Gentle mother’s kiss will help the child fall asleep calmly and firmly.
Neuropathologist, Professor Vladimir Studenikin: