Interesting fact about pumpkin:
Provitamin A pumpkin contains five times more than in carrots and three times more than beef liver. Therefore, ophthalmologists recommend that people with visual impairments often prepare pumpkin dishes and drink pumpkin juice.
The beneficial properties of a pumpkin are determined by the presence in its composition of vitamins and other beneficial substances necessary for the normal functioning of the body. Understand exactly what can be useful pumpkin for humans.
What is in the pumpkin:
- pumpkin contains vitamins (A, E, C, group B, folic acid), trace elements (copper, zinc, iron, cobalt, iodine, manganese, fluorine), macronutrients (calcium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium);
- pumpkin is rich in organic acids, simple sugars (fructose and glucose), dietary fiber (fiber) and pectins.
- chronic and acute diseases of the kidneys and urogenital system;
- hepatitis and cirrhosis;
- hypertension and atherosclerosis;
- disorders of the cardiovascular system.
Useful properties of pumpkin seeds
Not only the pulp, but also the seeds have useful properties in the pumpkin. To get pumpkin seeds, you need to cut the pumpkin, select the seeds and dry them. The most useful raw pumpkin seeds – they are very rich in vegetable oils, vitamins, trace elements. Pumpkin seeds, unlike pumpkins, do not belong to low-calorie foods; they contain pumpkin seeds 520 kcal per 100 grams.
Why pumpkin seeds are useful:
- raw pumpkin seeds are very helpful in eating hypertensive patients, as they normalize blood pressure.
- pumpkin seeds is a folk remedy for worms;
- pumpkin seeds are useful in the treatment of liver diseases;
- due to the high zinc content of pumpkin seeds, it is useful to use with acne on the face and body, oily hair and dandruff;
- dried pumpkin seeds have a positive effect on the reproductive system, both men and women – pumpkin seeds contain a lot of vitamin E which slows down aging and stimulates the function of the human gonads.
Useful properties of pumpkin juice
- the use of pumpkin juice improves metabolic processes occurring in the body and relieves insomnia;
- pumpkin juice is useful for anemia, for obesity, for diseases of the cardiovascular system – pumpkin juice also reduces the level of cholesterol in the blood;
- Freshly squeezed pumpkin juice, besides a rich set of vitamins and minerals, is a good antioxidant;
- with the threat of flu and cold, 200 ml of pumpkin juice should be drunk every morning to increase immunity;
- Pumpkin juice is good for constipation, hemorrhoids, increased nervous excitement and vomiting caused by toxemia in pregnant women or seasickness.
- Pumpkin is an excellent diuretic, besides a reliable natural recipe for edema is to drink pumpkin juice for half a glass every day.
Useful properties of pumpkin for weight loss
- Pumpkin calorie content is low, and the amount of dietary fiber (fiber) is high – thanks to this, fresh pumpkin pulp quickly quenches hunger and maintains a feeling of satiety for a long time, besides fiber, falling into the digestive tract, gently cleanses it from slags stagnated in the intestine.
- Potassium salts contribute to the removal of excess fluid from the body – so the mild laxative and diuretic properties of pumpkin is appreciated by dietitians.
- pumpkin pulp helps to normalize metabolism, renew liver cells, remove heavy metal salts and improve digestion – this leads to the fact that the weight of a person suffering from obesity begins to decline rapidly.
pumpkin diet menu
How to choose a pumpkin
Simple rules will help you choose a wholesome pumpkin. Do not rush to buy the largest vegetable – pumpkin is better to choose a medium size. It will be softer and with a more delicate taste and aroma. However, pumpkin varieties are many – by sampling, choose your favorite. Above all, remember that the orangeer the pumpkin is, the more beta-carotene it contains. There should not be any rotten areas or dents on the pumpkin either. You should not take a green pumpkin either – an over-ripe pumpkin will be fibrous and pasty, and an unripe pumpkin will be tasteless. Signs of ripeness of the fruit are bright color and drying of the stem. The harvest of pumpkins is carried out in the first two weeks of September in dry weather, so autumn pumpkins are the freshest and most useful. Pumpkin seeds should not be cracked or wet, they should not smell. And buy only non-peeled seeds.
In the apartment the pumpkin is best kept on the loggia. Fruits are recommended to cover with a cloth, so that the sun does not fall on the fruits, and in winter you need to wrap up warmer, since the best temperature for storage is from 5 to 15 degrees. There are varieties that will be stored all winter even in a room; the main thing is to choose a place that is darker and cooler.
How to store a pumpkin
You do not know how to store a pumpkin, do not worry – under certain conditions, it will last long enough. Remember, picking a pumpkin should be left around 7-10 cm of the spun stem – this will prolong the shelf life of the vegetable and protect it from premature rotting. Typically, pumpkin at room temperature and in a dark place is stored from several months to a year.
Store pumpkin better in a dry, ventilated and cool room. During storage, pumpkins should not be in contact with each other and should lie tail up. Do not allow high humidity in the room where the pumpkin is stored, otherwise it will just start to rot. Pumpkin can be frozen, when frozen, the pumpkin does not lose its beneficial properties, but you freeze not large portions of pumpkin.
Possible harm pumpkin
It is necessary to use pumpkin raw (as, indeed, any other fruits and vegetables) with caution in case of diseases of the pancreas and problems with the gastrointestinal tract. The main contraindication and potential harm to a pumpkin, as well as its benefits, is that it has alkalizing properties. Therefore, there is a pumpkin is not recommended for gastric and duodenal ulcers, gastritis, caused by just low acidity of gastric juice. Also, raw pumpkin is not recommended for severe forms of diabetes.
So, before you use a puff, consult with your doctor.
What to cook pumpkin
Pumpkin Recipes – Pumpkin Porridge:
Pumpkin Recipes – Baked Oven Pumpkin:
Pumpkin Recipes – Stuffed Pumpkin:
Take an even beautiful fruit. Cut off the top and remove the seeds. Fill the inside of the pumpkin for 2/3 with minced meat, which you usually cook for stuffed cabbage or stuffed peppers. Grease the pumpkin with vegetable oil on top so that it does not wrinkle, put on the cut top and bake until cooked in a well-heated oven. Serve as a whole with sour cream sauce.
HalloWeen and Pumpkin, How to make a Jack or a Jack-o’-lantern from a pumpkin on Halloween
Andrei Shalygin: Irish legend about the deal of the Devil with Jack, who deceived the horned one, instead of asking for a lantern so that it was not so dark and boring to walk on the planet that was not accepted in Paradise or Hell to the sly drunk who remained on the earth after death – we, of course Neither the meaning nor the essence of the holiday celebrated on All Saints Day in Catholicism is not very clear. But yes is not the point.
If people want to scare the Evil away from home with a flashlight, then simply roll the fool, celebrate the harvest, or just make some garden volume for gifts from a pumpkin children arranging something like our carols (but with very strange proposals to the owners of the house, for which they are not something to encourage – stick a soft spot on the little place) – well, let’s make it for them the Jack or Jack’s lantern, that is Pumpkin.
For this we need big chef’s knife from the Samura-Bamboo set to open and peel the pumpkin, small fruit (cleaning knife) knife from the same set for carving pumpkin, and ceramic vegetable peeler to make a two-sided pumpkin (we are not farmers, we save pumpkin and the day and night image of Jack-Pumpkin we will do on the same pumpkin but from different sides). In addition, we will take BioMade convenient flexible antibacterial heat-resistant non-cutting stand
How to make a jack-o-lantern pumpkin for Halloween – Pumpkin Halloween do it yourself
The Halloween pumpkin is made two-way so that it has one half day and one night one, which also works as a flashlight. In the daytime, it will entertain your guests as a 3D figure, and in the evening and at night, turned by the back side, it will turn into a creative flashlight for the evening show. Since the pumpkin is tough, you only need to cut and clean it with very good knives. For example, Japanese knives Samura.