Normally, in a healthy person, a small amount of gas is formed in the intestines and stomach after eating, which does not annoy the body and is eliminated in the process of defecation. But with their excess amount of pain, a feeling of heaviness. Belly as if bursting from the inside. It becomes easier only after the discharge of gases.
This condition is also called flatulence. It occurs when a certain malfunction of the digestive system. If swelling is constantly disturbing a person, this indicates some diseases:
- intestinal infections;
- stomach, gallbladder and liver problems;
- intestinal obstruction.
In some cases, the abdomen is swollen after eating foods that contain carbohydrates in great abundance, or after swallowing air while eating.
1. Which cause active gas formation: cabbage, bell pepper, pickled vegetables, legumes.
2. Conducive to fermentation: beer, kvass, rye bread.
People with low lactase levels may also have bloating after taking dairy products.
Overview of funds
To get rid of flatulence once and for all, it is necessary, first, to find out the causes of bloating. In case of systematic violations of the activity of the gastrointestinal tract organs, physicians will prescribe appropriate treatment. The best remedy for flatulence is proper nutrition and exercise. But sometimes you need to quickly remove the symptoms. In any pharmacy without prescriptions sold various drugs that will help:
- sorbents (Smekta, Polyphepan, activated carbon, Maalox, Enterosgel);
- carminative (simethicone);
- prokinetics (Motilium);
- probiotics and prebiotics (Lactofiltrum);
- herbal preparations.
1. Adsorbents and absorbents can help, but not in all cases. Today is very popular Smekta. It is often prescribed for chronic diarrhea, but it can be powerless against bloating, it can even contribute to an increase in gas accumulation. However, the absorbing properties of Smecta can be very useful for the treatment of flatulence.
- Adults use the medicine three times a day, one bag at a time.
- Children under one year old are allowed to use no more than one bag of Smecta a day.
2. As a substitute for adults, Polyphepane may be suitable, but it is prohibited in case of ulcerative diseases, intestinal atony, and anacid gastritis. There are side effects even in activated carbon, which absorbs useful minerals, vitamins and intestinal bacteria along with harmful substances. The adsorbent Maalox or Almagel also has a number of contraindications: renal failure, pregnancy.
3. Doctors prescribe and special carminative drugs. A popular carminative cure for adult flatulence is Simethicone (sold as Bobotik, Espumizan, Simecon). It quickly helps, destroys the gases in the intestines and makes it difficult to form bubbles. As a result, the gases are absorbed by the intestines or come out during peristalsis. Adults take 1-2 capsules (25 drops of suspension or 1 teaspoon of powder) after meals. The tool is still used for colic in children, but clinical studies have shown that it does not have the desired effect.
4. GI motility stimulators are called prokinetics. Are in demand Motilium and Zerukal.
5. Stimulates intestinal motility and Duphalac. In the composition there is lactulose, which is not absorbed in the intestine, but serves to dilute the stool and increase bile secretion. Lactofiltrum is also actively used for bloating, it also contains lactulose, and is a prebiotic sorbent.
6. In case of insufficient work of the pancreas, agents with enzymes can help. This, for example, Pancreatin (Mezim Forte, Festal).
7. Herbal preparations, as a rule, contain extracts of fennel, cumin or dill. Herbs stimulate the production of bile, peristalsis, eliminate abdominal cramps and have antimicrobial effects.
What to do with a strong swelling?
For severe pain from the abundance of gases, take one of the means that improves digestion and intestinal peristalsis, keep in mind contraindications (read the review of such drugs). Try not to be nervous, because nervous tension can be an independent cause of stomach pain. It is better to lie down for a while, not to do any hard work.
If bloating has become a constant companion, be sure to consult your doctor, you may need expert help and treatment of the stomach and intestines.
Flatulence in pregnant women
Swelling in a pregnant woman can occur as a result of uterine growth (therefore flatulence often worries pregnant women in the second and third trimester) or an increase in progesterone levels in the blood, which leads to a decrease in intestinal motor functions.
Most drugs that are used to eliminate the symptoms are contraindicated for pregnant women or should be taken with caution. Simethicone (Espumizan) is considered a safe means during the period of gestation, and it is allowed to use it for a long period of time and to combine with other medicines.
For the treatment of dysbacteriosis, doctors sometimes prescribe Linex to pregnant and lactating women, which is also combined with other medications. Pregnant women can use activated carbon for swelling and heartburn. However, if coal is taken with other drugs, such as vitamins, it will neutralize their effect. For every 10 kilograms of the body is one tablet, this dosage is also suitable for pregnant women.
What can you eat and what can not?
Helps cope with flatulence proper diet. First you need to exclude from the diet some food that promotes bloating. We also advise you to start a diary and make notes about products, after which there are unpleasant sensations in the stomach. Limit the consumption of fatty, hot and cold foods, strong coffee and tea. All dishes should be at a normal comfortable temperature.
The presence of such symptoms as: 1. bitterness in the mouth, putrid odor; 2. frequent disorders of the gastrointestinal tract, alternating constipation with diarrhea; 3. fatigue, general lethargy; indicate the body is intoxicated by parasites. Treatment must begin now, as the worms that live in the digestive tract or respiratory system.
Do not rush during a meal, the swallowing of air is often the cause of bloating and stomach pain. Carbonated drinks and chewing gum stimulate air ingestion. It is better to drink more plain purified water with the addition of fresh juice of citrus or green tea.
A diet with bloating and flatulence also implies a reduction in the use of milk, but not fermented milk products, if you tolerate them normally. Natural yoghurts, kefir improve digestion and help get rid of frequent bouts of flatulence.
What it is undesirable to have with persistent bloating:
- all beans;
- grapes and raisins;
- pears and apples;
- fresh pastries;
- salted fish;
- fatty foods;
- millet and pearl barley;
- whole milk.
What can you eat with abdominal distension:
- lean meat (stewed or boiled);
- bird (non-greasy);
- fish (non-fat);
- scrambled eggs;
- pureed soups;
- cereals (except wheat and pearl barley);
- green tea;
It is better to eat in small portions, but often (up to 6 times per day).
Prevention of folk remedies
Not only the right diet and the rejection of bad habits (smoking, frequent drinking), but also short courses of taking folk remedies will do.
For example, during the day you can sip the following decoction prepared at home:
- In a glass of water, add two teaspoons of the collection of Potentilla, wormwood, yarrow and horsetail;
- boil herbs on low heat;
- remove from the burner and strain.
There is another collection that is taken at home before bedtime, 100 ml:
- pour a glass of boiling water (a teaspoonful) of valerian roots, calamus, mint leaves, fennel, chamomile flowers;
- Insist collection within an hour;
But the most common tool in the world are dill, fennel and their seeds. They are used even in pediatrics, adults just enough to add these herbs in salads, various dishes. You can make at home and tincture: a tablespoon of dill, finely chopped, pour 500 ml of boiling water, and then allow to infuse for 60 minutes. The resulting tincture drink 100 ml for 20 minutes before meals. When cooking water from fennel take 2 tablespoons of herbs, and water – 250 ml.
Exercises for bloating
Helps to get rid of frequent bouts of bloating and special exercises. Everyone can make them at home and without much preparation. The only condition is the absence of serious pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract.
Exercises for abdominal distension:
1. Lie on your left side, slowly pull your legs bent at the knees to your stomach. Lie for a minute in this position. Roll onto your back and then onto your right side. Just pull the legs to the stomach. Blistering after such a procedure should pass.
2. Get on all fours. Slowly take a deep breath. With a sigh, lift your head and pelvis, and pull your back to the ground. Just as slowly arch your back as high as possible, and press your head to your chest as you exhale. Repeat 8 times.
3. From the pose on all fours, push your right leg forward and move your left knee back. Raise your hands up, as if pushing the air with your chest and hips. Stretch up for 8 deep breaths. At the same time, keep your shoulders relaxed, while your back and abdomen muscles, on the contrary, strain and stretch.
Pregnant women can do a light massage for themselves: put your palm on your stomach and lightly stroke it clockwise. Sometimes it also helps against bloating and abdominal cramps, if after such a massage, lie on your left side and slightly raise your right leg.