Cough is a frequent companion of a cold. In the doctor’s office you will not only be questioned when he appeared, but will also be interested in other details. The more accurately you describe the manifestations, the faster the correct diagnosis will be made and the treatment prescribed. Therefore, you should not neglect the visits of specialists and choose the drugs yourself.
What is characterized by unproductive cough
At the very beginning of the disease of the respiratory organs, it is the unproductive cough that is manifested, also called dry. Inflammation in the larynx constricts the air passage, which leads to difficulty breathing, sputum accumulates in the lungs. Soon the body will begin to get rid of mucus, coughing it up, and the cough will become wet (productive).
Dry cough has two varieties:
- acute (lasts up to 3 weeks);
- chronic (lasts more than 3 weeks).
Coughing up, especially if they are loud, irritate the respiratory organs, causing their damage. The sooner they become productive, the easier it will be for the body to fight the disease.
If a dry cough lasts more than 7 days, then such a circumstance may indicate the presence of serious diseases – bronchial asthma, bronchitis or allergies. The first two illnesses are certainly accompanied by night attacks. Allergies cause a runny nose, sometimes itching and tearing of the eyes.
All causes are divided into two groups: physiological and pathological. If the first can be eliminated quickly, then the second requires high-quality treatment.
- entry of foreign bodies into the respiratory tract;
- taking spicy food;
- penetration of loose products into the larynx;
- careless ingestion of food.
Pathological causes of acute unproductive cough:
- allergic rhinitis;
- acute sinusitis;
- pulmonary embolism;
- cardiac asthma;
- dry pleurisy;
- external otitis;
Pathological causes of chronic unproductive cough:
- bronchial asthma;
- gastroesophageal reflux disease;
- chronic inflammation of the nasopharynx;
- whooping cough;
- tumors of the middle parts of the chest cavity;
- neurological diseases.
There are many reasons, so it is impossible to prescribe the right treatment on your own; moreover, it can lead to many complications.
Unproductive cough in childhood
The causes of the appearance can be several – from simple ARVI to more serious. The child’s body, especially at preschool age, does not yet have a fully strengthened immunity, which can fully resist the disease.
Common causes of a child’s symptom are:
- Viral lesion of the respiratory tract. The disease begins with unpleasant sensations and redness in the throat, then a dry cough appears, which after a few days turns into a wet one. Sometimes you will notice that it again became dry, but this only indicates that the sputum has already come out of the lungs and the illness has passed.
- Flu. The course of the disease is more difficult, the child feels unwell, he will look painful. In this case, bed rest is necessary.
- External annoying factor. Sometimes the cause of unproductive coughing, which can last for a long time, is the environment in which he lives. Irritants are smoke from nicotine, dust and dry air, powder or cleaning agent, air freshener.
- Whooping cough. A strong cough that doesn’t give rest to a child can be a symptom of whooping cough. In this case, the baby can not lead a normal life, as coughing can be very strong and loud.
Treatment of these diseases in most cases involves immunity-strengthening procedures and the use of folk remedies. Antibiotics and antiviral drugs are prescribed only in extreme cases.
To successfully cure a dry cough, it is necessary to translate it into a wet one as soon as possible. Then the sputum and bacteria contained in it begin to leave the body and the disease begins to subside. In this case, doctors prescribe antitussive drugs that reduce the reflex of the body so that it does not irritate the respiratory organs.
But more often, treatment is accompanied by combined drugs that have both antitussive and expectorant properties.
Such means are:
- Stoptussin (butamirata citrate);
- Sinekod (butamirata citrate);
- Herbion against dry cough (plantain extract);
- Codelac (codeine);
- Bronhikum (extract of thyme and primrose root).
Preparations help the formation of wet coughing. To eliminate them, mucolytic agents are prescribed. They dilute phlegm and allow it to come out of the lungs faster.
If you feel the first symptoms of an emerging cough, then in any case, do not delay the visit to the doctor. Even if you are sure that you have picked up the usual virus from colleagues at work or school, the best solution would be to pass tests and identify the exact cause. Especially it concerns the health of your child.