Atarax has a positive effect on cognitive abilities, improves memory and attention.
Relaxes skeletal and smooth muscles, has bronchodilating and analgesic effects, moderate inhibitory effect on gastric secretion. Active ingredient Hydroxysin significantly reduces itching in patients with urticaria, eczema and dermatitis.
On this page you will find all the information about Atarax: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Atarax. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Anxiolytic, antiemetic and sedative tranquilizer.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released on prescription.
How much does Atarax cost? The average price in pharmacies is 340 rubles.
Release form and composition
The drug is available in tablet form at a dosage of 25 mg.
- The active ingredient of the drug is hydroxyzine hydrochloride.
- Lactose, silicon, cellulose, magnesium stearate are used as auxiliary substances.
The active ingredient Atarax has a moderate anxiolytic, as well as anti-emetic, sedative, analgesic, antihistamine and m-anticholinergic action.
At application of Atarax the skeletal and smooth muscles relaxes. The effect occurs 20-30 minutes after taking the drug and manifests itself as a decrease in itching in allergic skin diseases, as well as a decrease in anxiety and muscle tension. Atarax reviews are not addictive and addictive.
Indications for use
The main indications for prescribing Atarax are:
- Elimination of anxiety states that arise against the background of mental, neurological and somatic diseases.
- As a sedative drug as part of premedication before surgery.
- Relief of psychomotor agitation in adults with alcohol withdrawal syndrome.
- Relief of psychomotor agitation in mental disorders.
- Relief of pruritus in various diseases, including allergic ones.
The use of Atarax for the treatment of alcohol syndrome in combination therapy is used to eliminate anxiety and relieve psychomotor agitation. Drug treatment in alcoholism should occur against the background of complete sobriety of the patient. This is due to the fact that the interaction of the active substance of the drug and ethanol can lead to unpredictable consequences.
According to the annotation to the drug, the use of Atarax is contraindicated in:
- Violation of the absorption of glucose and galactose;
- Angle-closure glaucoma;
- Hereditary intolerance to galactose;
- Pregnancy and lactation;
- The presence of hypersensitivity to hydroxyzine, any auxiliary component of the drug, as well as to cetirizine, aminophylline, ethylenediamine, piperazine derivatives.
Prescribe the drug, but with extreme caution and under constant medical supervision for:
- Predisposition to the development of arrhythmia;
- Increased intraocular pressure;
- Difficulty urinating;
- Prostatic hyperplasia;
- Propensity to convulsive seizures;
A dose reduction of Atarax is required:
- Older people (especially when their glomerular filtration decreases);
- Patients with moderate and severe renal insufficiency;
- When liver failure.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
Atarax is contraindicated for use during pregnancy, during labor. If necessary, use Atarax during lactation should stop breastfeeding.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicated that Atarax is prescribed inside. The dose of the drug is selected individually and largely depends on the patient’s response to treatment.
- For the treatment of anxiety, it is recommended to take 0.05 g of the drug per day. In case of severe anxiety, the dose of the drug can be increased to 0.3 g per day.
- With symptomatic treatment of itching, an initial dose of the drug of 0.025 g is recommended; if necessary, the dose can be increased to 0.025 g three to four times a day. The maximum single dose should not exceed 0.2 g, and the maximum daily dose should not exceed 0.3 g.
- When symptomatic treatment of itching in children 3-6 years old, a dose of 0.001-0.0025 g / kg of baby weight per day is recommended. For premedication, it is recommended to 0.001 g / kg of the child’s mass one hour before the operation.
- For premedication before surgery, it is recommended to take 0.05-0.2 g of the drug one hour before the operation, it is possible to further assign 0.05 g at night before anesthesia.
Elderly patients with impaired liver function and renal insufficiency are advised to reduce the daily dose.
- normal activity of the digestive system (increased activity of liver enzymes, nausea);
- normal activity of the respiratory system (bronchospasm, difficulty breathing);
- from the activity of the cardiovascular system (increase in heart rate, lower blood pressure);
- the appearance of various allergic reactions;
- normal activity of the central nervous system (headaches, drowsiness, convulsive syndrome, dizziness, general weakness, trembling of the extremities, disorientation of orientation in space);
- metabolic processes (increased sweating, febrile syndrome).
All of these states were quite rare, had a minor character and almost always disappeared after lowering the dose of Atarax.
In case of overdose it is possible:
- Convulsive syndrome;
- Disorientation of orientation in space;
- Depression of the central nervous system;
- Nausea leading to vomiting;
- The appearance of hallucinations;
- Lowering blood pressure;
- Impairment of consciousness;
- Heart rhythm disorders;
- Paradoxical stimulation of the central nervous system;
- Involuntary physical activity;
- Trembling limbs.
To eliminate these conditions, it is necessary to induce vomiting or carry out gastric lavage and conduct a comprehensive treatment aimed at maintaining the vital functions of the body. It is also necessary to monitor the patient’s condition in the next day until the overdose symptoms completely disappear.
- Atarax should be taken with caution when kidney deficiency.
- Patients taking the drug should refrain from taking alcohol. In case of liver failure, it is necessary to reduce the dose of the drug being taken. The drug can be used in children from 12 months for the treatment of itching.
- The drug affects the ability to drive vehicles. During the course of treatment with this medication, it is necessary to refrain from classes that require special attention and immediate psychomotor reaction.
- Co-administration of Atarax with MAO inhibitors and holinoblockers should be avoided.
- With simultaneous use of the drug inhibits the pressure of epinephrine (adrenaline) and the anticonvulsant activity of phenytoin, and also interferes with the action of betahistine and cholinesterase blockers.
- Atarax potentiates the action of drugs that inhibit the central nervous system, such as opioid analgesics, barbiturates, tranquilizers, sleeping pills, ethanol (combinations require individual selection of doses of drugs).
- With the simultaneous use of Atarax does not affect the activity of atropine, belladonna alkaloids, cardiac glycosides, antihypertensive drugs, histamine H blockers2-receptors.
- Hydroxysin is a CYP2D6 isoenzyme inhibitor and, when used in high doses, may be the cause of interaction with CYP2D6 substrates. Since hydroxyzine is metabolized in the liver, an increase in its concentration in the blood can be expected when it is co-administered with hepatic enzyme inhibitors.
We picked up some reviews of people who took the drug Atarax:
- Elvira I had a very strong itching, I itched like an abnormal especially before
Some reviews of doctors:
- Konstantin (neurologist). I prescribe Atarax as a second-line remedy for chronic neurotic disorders. In adolescence, the drug is well tolerated and gives a good effect. Good for headaches and nervous tension. Observed that with obsessive states, the effectiveness was not long-lasting and had to be replaced with another drug.
- Tatiana (neurologist). I have been prescribing this drug to patients for more than five years. The effect always came, side effects were insignificant and only among those who took the drug without a doctor’s prescription. I noticed that it works well in asthenic depressive states and anxiety syndrome, and sleep is also noticeably improved.
However, sometimes the medication causes constant drowsiness, lethargy, reduced working capacity. Reviews about the admission of children indicate that with the correct dosage and reception under the supervision of a physician, the remedy helps to eliminate allergic reactions that cause severe skin itching.
One of the analogues of Atarax is Hydroxysin, the cost of which is slightly lower and amounts to approximately 260 rubles for a package of the drug and 25 tablets.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
The drug should be stored out of the reach of children, in a dry place at a temperature not exceeding 25 ° C. Shelf life – 5 years.