Body temperature is an indicator of the thermal state of the body. Thanks to it, there is a reflection of the relationship between the generation of heat of internal organs, the heat exchange between them and the outside world. At the same time, temperature indicators depend on the age of a person, time of day, the impact of the surrounding world, state of health and other features of the organism. So what should a person’s body temperature be?
Types of temperature indicators
People are used to the fact that with changes in body temperature, it is common to talk about health problems. Even with a slight hesitation, the person is ready to sound the alarm. But it is not always so sad. Normal body temperature ranges from 35.5 to 37 degrees. The average figure in most cases is 36.4-36.7 degrees. I would also like to note that temperature indicators can be individual for each. A normal temperature regime is considered when a person feels completely healthy, able-bodied and there is no failure in metabolic processes.
What is the normal body temperature in adults, it also depends on what nationality a person is. For example, in Japan, it is kept at 36 degrees, and in Australia, the body temperature rises to 37 degrees.
It is also worth noting that the normal temperature of a person’s body can fluctuate throughout the day. In the morning it is lower, and in the evening it rises significantly. Moreover, its fluctuation during the day can be one degree.
The temperature of a person is divided into several types, which include:
- low body temperature. Its figures fall below 35.5 degrees. Such a process is called hypothermia;
- normal body temperature. Indicators can range from 35.5 to 37 degrees;
- increased body temperature. It rises above 37 degrees. At the same time, it is measured in the armpit;
- low-grade body temperature. Its limits range from 37.5 to 38 degrees;
- febrile body temperature. Indicators range from 38 to 39 degrees;
- high or pyretic body temperature. It rises to 41 degrees. This is a critical body temperature, which leads to disruption of metabolic processes in the brain;
- hyperpyretic body temperature. Deadly temperature, which rises above 41 degrees and is fatal.
Also, the internal temperature is classified by other types in the form:
- hypothermia. When temperature indicators below 35.5 degrees;
- normal temperature. It ranges from 35.5-37 degrees;
- hyperthermia. The temperature is above 37 degrees;
- feverish state. Indicators raise above 38 degrees, while the patient has chills, blanching of the skin, marble mesh.
Rules for measuring body temperature
All people are used to the fact that according to the standard temperature indicators should be measured in the armpit. To perform the procedure you need to follow a few rules.
- The armpit should be dry.
- Then the thermometer is taken and gently shaken off to a value of 35 degrees.
- The tip of the thermometer is located in the armpit and tightly pressed by hand.
- Keep it needed from five to ten minutes.
- After that, the result is evaluated.
With a mercury thermometer should be extremely neat. It is impossible to break it, otherwise mercury will pour out and will emit harmful fumes. Children are not allowed to give such things. For replacement, you can have an infrared or electronic thermometer. Such devices measure the temperature in seconds, but the values from the mercury may vary.
Not everyone thinks that the temperature can be measured not only in the armpit, but also in other places. For example, in the mouth. With this method of measurement, normal values will be within 36-37.3 degrees.
How to measure the temperature in the mouth? There are several rules. To measure the temperature in the mouth, you need to be at rest for five to seven minutes. If there are dentures, braces or plates in the mouth, they should be removed.
After that, the mercury thermometer must be wiped dry and positioned under the tongue from either side. To get the result you need to hold it for four to five minutes.
It is worth noting that the oral temperature is significantly different from measurements in the axillary zone. Measuring the temperature in the mouth can show the result higher by 0.3-0.8 degrees. If an adult doubts in performance, then a comparison should be made between the temperature obtained in the armpit.
If the patient does not know how to measure the temperature in the mouth, then you can follow the usual technology. During the procedure is to comply with the technique of execution. The thermometer can be installed both behind the cheek and under the tongue. But clamping the device with your teeth is strictly prohibited.
Low body temperature
After the patient has learned what temperature he has, you need to determine her character. If it is below 35.5 degrees, it is customary to talk about hypothermia.
The internal temperature may be low for some reason, which include:
- weakened immune function;
- severe hypothermia;
- a recent illness;
- endocrine diseases;
- use of certain medications;
- low hemoglobin;
- failure in the hormonal system;
- the presence of internal bleeding;
- intoxication of the body;
- chronic fatigue.
If the patient’s internal temperature is greatly reduced, then he will feel weak, weakened and dizzy. To increase the temperature indicators at home, you need to put your feet in a hot foot bath or on a heating pad. After that, wear warm socks and drink hot tea with honey, an infusion of medicinal herbs.
If the temperature indicators gradually decrease and reach 35-35.3 degrees, then we can say:
- about simple fatigue, strong physical exertion, chronic sleep deprivation;
- on improper diet or adherence to a strict diet;
- about hormonal failure. Occurs at the stage of gestation, with menopause or menstruation in women;
- about carbohydrate metabolism disorders due to liver disease.
Increased body temperature
The most common occurrence of such a thing as increased body temperature. If it is kept at elevations from 37.3 to 39 degrees, then it is customary to talk about an infectious lesion. When viruses, bacteria and fungi penetrate into the human body, severe intoxication occurs, which is expressed not only in an increase in body temperature, but also in the runny nose, tearing, coughing, drowsiness, and worsening of the general condition. If the internal temperature rises above 38.5 degrees, then doctors advise taking antipyretic drugs.
Temperatures can occur with burns and mechanical injuries. In rare situations, hyperthermia is observed. This condition is caused by an increase in temperature indicators above 40.3 degrees. If such a situation arises, it is necessary to call an ambulance as soon as possible. When the indicators have reached 41 degrees, it is customary to talk about a critical condition that threatens the patient’s future life. At a temperature of 40 degrees, an irreversible process begins to occur. There is a gradual destruction of the brain and the deterioration of the internal organs.
If the internal temperature is 42 degrees, then the patient dies. There are such cases when the patient experienced such a state and survived. But their number is small.
If the internal temperature rises above the burrow, then the patient has symptoms in the form of:
- fatigue and weakness;
- general disease state;
- dry skin and lips;
- mild or severe chills. Depends on temperature readings;
- pain in the head;
- aches in muscle structures;
- decrease and complete loss of appetite;
- excessive sweating.
Each person is individual. Therefore, the normal body temperature will be for everyone. Someone with indicators of 35.5 degrees feels normal, and with an increase to 37 degrees is already considered sick. In others, even 38 degrees can be the limit of the norm. Therefore, it is necessary to focus on the general condition of the body.