Alcoholism – dependence on alcoholic beverages (ethanol), negatively affecting the state of the human body as a whole.
According to statistics, it takes a man about seven to ten years to become ethanol-dependent, and only five years of regular use is necessary for female alcoholism to develop. Signs in women, despite the transience of the process, will be less noticeable, and the treatment will be long and difficult.
Features of addiction
Alcoholism is considered to be a purely masculine disease, but in the last decade, women have been increasingly exposed to this addiction. Unlike male, female alcoholism is almost not treatable.
Female alcoholism is a psycho-narcological disease, accompanied by damage to the central nervous system and internal organs, with constant, excessive use and addiction of women to alcohol.
For normal functioning, the human body needs a small amount of ethanol, which is produced independently due to the correct metabolism.
Signs of dependence
The first sign of alcoholism in women is denial. People who are addicted to ethanol tend to say that they are used like everyone else, only on holidays with relatives or on weekends to relieve stress and fatigue. However, the foundation of addiction is precisely the unintelligible persistent craving for alcohol.
Attraction to alcohol, or alcoholism, symptoms in women has the following:
- Search for any minor occasion conducive to an alcoholic feast. All addicted women begin to drink about the same. First, only on major holidays, after small persuasions, then the dependent person uses without persuasion, for the company, he is the initiator of the festivities, gradually changing his circle of friends and acquiring alcohol for the house, as if in reserve, explaining it with the opportunity to celebrate an unexpected holiday or a meeting of unplanned guests. Often, women can not explain their behavior, voicing only common phrases: “this is necessary,” “uncomfortable to refuse,” “if you drink, then life is more fun,” and, without even realizing it, tend to the state of ethanol intoxication.
- Changing the behavior of women in anticipation of the upcoming drink. They try to leave work early, end up with business quickly, so they can come home and have a quiet drink.
- Protecting their interests, protecting drinking friends, highlighting in their behavior only positive aspects and virtues. They do not accept claims and reproaches of non-smokers, they arrange scandals against the background of a ban on the use of alcohol.
- Justification of their behavior with common phrases: as doctors advise, alcohol increases performance, etc.
- Lack of objective criticism of their behavior. Most alcoholics do not recognize their dependence, denying signs of social degradation against the background of drunkenness.
Stages of alcoholism in women
Signs of this disorder we have described. Now consider its stages. Female alcoholism, developing, goes through certain stages, in accordance with them there is a gradual transition from the use of ethanol in small doses to a complete loss of self-control, accompanied by the disintegration of the personality in combination with actual somatic pathologies.
Stages of female alcoholism:
- Stage one – uncontrolled alcohol consumption. Denial of dependence, loss of gag reflex, drinking alcohol 2-3 times a week, intoxication after taking a small dose, the formation of mental dependence on alcohol.
- Stage two – changes in the body, occurring against the background of the formation of addiction, the appearance of hangover syndrome, increased craving for alcohol, the use of beverages with a high degree for a more rapid onset of intoxication. As a result, as the dose increases, poisoning becomes more intense due to acetaldigid entering the bloodstream. Based on this process, there are noticeable changes in the appearance of the woman. The second stage is accompanied by the appearance of pseudo-doses, that is, the use of alcohol for 3-4 days in a row, insomnia, short-term amnesia during intoxication, and the formation of physical dependence on alcoholic beverages.
- Stage three is characterized by the disintegration of the individual, that is, complete degradation, dementia, leading to dementia, amnesia, prolonged long-term drinking-disorders and, as a result, the appearance of delirium tremens.
Change in the appearance of a drinking woman
If we are talking about the second and third stages of alcoholism, accompanied by hard drinking, it will not be difficult to identify an ethanol-dependent woman. Unlike men, women are subconsciously afraid of being caught drunk. That is why alcoholics try to carefully hide their weakness. In addition, it is difficult for a woman to admit to herself and those around her that she has become one of those whom she herself once condemned and avoided.
Signs of alcoholism in women on the face appear very quickly. They include:
- Discoloration of the face and skin, unhealthy blush, once pink skin acquires a gray, earthy hue, the appearance of purple spots and bruises from bursting capillaries is possible. The painful luster of the eyes, glass, incomprehensible look, bags under the eyes, eyelid puffiness.
- Untidy, unkempt hair. Tangled, dirty, greasy, with a pathological dandruff on the scalp.
- Loss of blackening of the teeth, the formation of tartar and plaque.
- Wrinkles, intensity of the frontal muscles, deepening of the nasolabial fold, thickening of the lips, expansion of the nostrils, atrophy of the neck muscles.
External signs of alcoholism in women:
- Staggering gait, angular shape, painful thinness.
- Bright, inappropriate age makeup or a complete lack of signs of respect for personal hygiene.
- Untidy, dirty, ragged clothes.
This type of alcoholism is perceived by many people as absolutely safe, having nothing to do with ethanol addiction. Women are addicted to beer drinks less often than men, however, dependence develops, as a rule, unnoticed, many start with one or two bottles a day, using this drink to relax.
Signs of beer alcoholism in women are as follows:
- Consumption of more than two bottles (1 liter) per day.
- Aggressive behavior, accompanied by a depressed, depressed mood in a sober state.
- Frequent migraines, insomnia at night, weakness and sleepiness during the day.
- Psychological dependence, confidence in the impossibility of a good rest and relaxation without drinking beer.
Beer alcoholism: signs in women. External symptoms
Often in women there is a depressed painful condition, swelling of the lips, the appearance of bags under the eyes and wrinkles, dryness and wilting of the skin, thin legs, big belly, neglect.
Dependent people gradually lose interest in themselves and the world around them, striving only for the feeling of intoxication and another bottle of beer.
The treatment is carried out in several stages:
- Cleaning and restoring the body from the negative effects of half-life alcohol products.
- Psychological assistance to addicts and their families.
- Monitoring the patient’s condition after inpatient treatment.
Treatment is prescribed by a doctor and depends on the individual indicators and the stage of dependence of the patient. Usually prescribed drugs that cause intolerance to alcohol, reduce cravings and facilitate withdrawal syndrome. In general, with the right treatment, it is certainly possible to get rid of the disease.
This method is effective only for those who themselves wish to be cured. The process is that a drug is injected into the woman, which, under the influence of alcohol, begins to act as a poison, causing pain. During treatment, fearing the pain of the drug, a woman learns to live without alcohol, gradually adjusting her life.
Signs of alcoholism in women on the face (the photo below shows them) are especially noticeable. And it should be said that it is impossible to restore the freshness of the face and remove wrinkles after the treatment of dependence.
It is very important that, after coding, the patient is surrounded by non-drinkers, supported by relatives, convincing them that they need to live on, rethink values and find work. Then alcoholism (we have already considered the signs in women) will certainly remain in the past.