Abdominal pain in the middle of the abdomen is a very dangerous symptom that is a precursor of the development of various pathologies and dangerous diseases.
Negative manifestations may form suddenly or gradually increase. Some pass in a short amount of time, others annoy a patient for a long period. With increasing intensity and increasing symptoms, you need to contact a professional specialist. The patient must be diagnosed with the body and find out why certain symptoms have appeared. After passing the diagnostic methods should be assigned to the appropriate treatment.
Since pain itself is considered a subjective feeling, relying on only one symptom is not recommended. To put the correct diagnosis only on the manifestations of pain – it is impossible. Therefore, it is necessary to take into account the individual characteristics of the organism. It is also worth considering the fact that diseases have a specific nature of pain.
Nature of pain
Pain in the center (middle) of the upper abdomen is divided into types of pain. They have the corresponding symptoms. In patients with certain actions or a change in the position of the body, the stomach hurts above in the middle. Not everyone knows what to do and what actions to take.
- The first step is to determine the localization of pain. To do this, lie on your back, feel the abdomen. Palpation is the most vulnerable painful place.
- It should be understood that preceded the occurrence of pain. It should be established because of what began to develop negative effects. May be caused by excessive exercise, nervous breakdowns, improper diet, alcohol intake.
- Next is determined by the type of discomfort. Depending on the symptoms, the pain is divided into several categories. Consider the most common.
It’s a dull pain
The aching pain is not expressed by bright intensity. Therefore, most patients call such manifestations the most inoffensive. They may occur periodically or occur constantly.
- Aching pain from above can be triggered by a disturbed blood circulation.
- It also manifests itself due to mechanical damage to internal organs. They can be obtained as a result of a fall from a height, a strong blow to the abdominal cavity.
- The aching pain is manifested due to the stretching of the muscles, the tendons of the internal organs. The manifestation of unpleasant sensations is influenced by strong inflammatory processes.
- The cause of the occurrence may be a malfunction of the gastrointestinal tract. Such diseases include gastritis, duodenal ulcer, infectious processes.
- The pain manifests itself due to inflammation of the pancreas.
- The development can be affected by diseases of the pelvic organs.
- There may be pinching of the nerve endings in the spine, which causes pain in the upper abdomen.
- The cause may be the pathology of the central nervous system.
- Heart pain extending up the abdominal cavity.
- Discomfort in the solar plexus, radiating to the abdominal cavity.
- The aching pain is due to infection of the abdominal cavity;
This type of unpleasant sensations is called the acute stomach. Acute sharp pain requires immediate medical attention. Such patients need surgical treatment.
Acute pains include a complex of clinical signs that must be confirmed by instrumental or laboratory data. Acute pain can carry a threat to a person’s life. They appear due to dangerous diseases, injuries or damage to the organs of the abdomen or small pelvis.
Consider the most common causes of discomfort:
- Perforation of gastric or duodenal ulcers;
- Myocardial infarction;
- Acute pancreatitis;
- Chronic pancreatitis stage;
- Hepatic colic;
- Acute form of cholecystitis;
- Chronic cholecystitis stage;
- Subphrenic abscess;
- Closed liver damage;
- Traumatic or spontaneous ruptures of the spleen;
- The development of pneumonia or pleurisy;
- Chronic diseases of the stomach and duodenum;
- Pancreas cancer;
- Liver diseases, which include:
- Organ enlargement;
- Chronic hepatitis stage;
- Fatty degeneration of the liver;
- Cirrhosis of the liver;
- The development of tumors, metastases, tumors, parasitic cysts, abscesses, hematomas;
- Acute appendicitis;
Sharp sudden pain can manifest itself during movements, changes in body position. It penetrates the ligaments, the muscles of the organs. Therefore, in common it is called dagger. The intensity of this manifestation is different, as each patient perceives the threshold of pain perception in their own way.
These diseases include:
- Defeat of the spleen;
- Epigastric hernia of the white line of the abdomen;
- Osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine;
- Signs of appendicitis;
- Intestinal obstruction;
- Chronic enteritis;
- Chronic colitis;
- Acute diverticulitis;
- Intestinal infections;
- Renal colic;
At the initial stage, this type of discomfort is hardly noticeable. But as the formation of pathologies and diseases, the intensity of pain begins to increase. It has a continuous nature. It takes place only after the use of painkillers. Able to increase with sudden movements, weight lifting, excessive fluid intake. Also, dull pain can be the result of a sharp, sharp or cutting pain.
Diseases accompanied by dull pain include:
- Chronic stage cholecystitis;
- Chronic stage of peptic ulcer;
- Stomach cancer;
- Pyloric stenosis;
- Gastritis, which is accompanied by a reduction in pancreatic secretion;
- Increased pressure in the portal vein, which can lead to the deposition of blood flow in the spleen. In this case, a stagnant increase in the organ may occur. The condition is characteristic of cirrhosis of the liver:
- Latent stage;
- Subcompensation stage;
- Decompensation stage;
Such a manifestation is a painful state, having a different degree of intensity. Pain can be short-term or last for a long period. The pain can be paroxysmal, encircling the entire upper abdomen. Unpleasant sensations occur after taking fatty, overdone or spicy foods. Able to occur after taking alcoholic beverages.
At the same time, patients feel an unpleasant taste and dry mouth, weakness, increase in blood pressure. There is repeated vomiting, after which the pain subsides. Girdle skin pain is divided as well as pain from internal organs. In this case, the nerve endings are damaged or diseases dangerous to human health develop.
Discomfort can be the result of the following negative manifestations:
- Gallbladder dysfunction, manifested in the form of cholecystitis;
- Disruption of the functioning of the pancreas in the form of acute pancreatitis;
- Duodenal ulcer lesions;
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system;
- Shingles development;
Stabbing and cutting pain
Such a negative manifestation is considered a signal of the development of pathological processes in the human body. They have different localization. Prick can as above belly, so and below. Can hurt the left and right side. They radiate to the back, sacral region, spine, chest area and hypochondrium. The pains are aggravated by movements, improperly chosen physical activity, shaking in transport, the presence of stress. But the most important cause of pain is the wrong food. Cutting syndrome occurs due to the consumption of overcooked, spicy, salted, burnt food, carbonated drinks, as well as fast food.
All pathological changes are accompanied by diarrhea and nausea. A person’s body temperature rises. Attacks of sharp and stabbing pain can cause worms, problems with the sexual sphere, various inflammations of the digestive tract. Stitching syndrome occurs due to the formation of the following diseases:
- Pancreatitis in the acute phase;
- Attack of appendicitis;
- Pancreatic inflammations;
- Acute or chronic gastritis;
- Perforation of gastric and duodenal ulcers;
- Development of intestinal infections;
Such discomfort bothers patients over a long period. They do not have a pronounced intensity. But delivering great discomfort. Pain indicate the presence of developmental pathologies of the initial stage. Able to occur due to stretching of the capsule of the liver or spleen. May be due to sprains, which fix the organs in the pelvis. Unpleasant manifestations can radiate to the left or right side, lower abdomen, back. Your stomach, right or left side may be sore. At the same time, the patient feels heaviness, an increase in negative manifestations during physical activity and weight lifting.
The main causes of pain are:
- Enlarged uterus during pregnancy;
- Development of ovarian cysts;
- Inflammation of the appendix;
- Inflammatory processes in the intestine, including:
- Crohn’s disease;
- Inflammatory diseases of the pelvic organs;
- Prolonged tonic tension of organs;
- Chronic prostatitis;
- The formation of malignant tumors;
- Chronic sigmoiditis stage;
Features in men
Painful sensations in men are formed during inflammation of the prostate. They can provoke the development of the acute stage of prostatitis, urethritis, ascending infections, sexual dysfunction, physical inactivity. The reasons may be:
- Interrupted intercourse;
- Rare or violent sex life;
- Sedentary office lifestyle;
- The presence of chronic constipation;
- Drinking alcoholic beverages;
They radiate to the groin, sacrum, perineum, lower back and rectum. They can be combined with painful frequent urination. In this case, a person may increase body temperature, form weakness, decrease in performance.
Features in women
If it hurts in the upper abdomen, this may be due to inflammation of the internal reproductive organs – the uterus, tubes, ovaries. Unpleasant manifestations are felt in the upper or lower abdomen in the iliac regions. May be accompanied by intoxication syndrome in the form of:
- Loss of appetite;
Purulent discharges are formed with blood clots that have an unpleasant odor. Irradiate discomfort can in the crotch, sacrum and lower back. Pathologies include:
- Intraperitoneal bleeding;
- Ovarian rupture;
- Ectopic or ectopic pregnancy;
The stomach hurts at critical days, after blows, falls, complications after a tube abortion.
In what cases urgently to the doctor?
The patient should contact a professional in the following cases:
- With the increase in the intensity of the pain defect;
- In the presence of a weak effect after taking medications;
- If there are symptoms of intoxication in the form of diarrhea, vomiting;
- With severe acute or cutting pain during urination;
- In the presence of blood clots in the feces or urine;
- If the stomach hurts when moving, changing the position of the body;
- If the patient is less than 10 years old and more than 65 years old;
- If severe injuries of the abdomen were received upon impact, injury, fall from height, or compression;
- With a sudden acute pain that provokes arousal during sleep, insomnia;
- In the presence of pain, accompanied by fever;
- With a strong strain of the abdominal muscles, in which the middle of the abdominal cavity is hard, painful. Observed restriction of the respiratory movement of the abdomen;
- If it hurts in the upper abdomen, the pain syndrome is accompanied by heart palpitations;
Pain in the center of the abdomen gives patients discomfort and discomfort that disappears only after treatment. But before you assign the necessary procedures, you need to pass the diagnosis of the body. Diagnosis will help identify the causes of pain. It is very difficult to make the correct diagnosis, because today there are various diseases that cause an identical pain syndrome.
- First of all, an initial examination should be carried out on which the simplest manipulations are applied. The specialist can conduct:
- Palpation, due to which pain, the consistency of the liver and spleen are revealed. You can determine whether the pain syndrome increases when you press.
- Visual inspection, which is determined by increased gas formation, change in skin tone, rash and the manifestation of allergic reactions.
- Auscultation, due to which the listening of noises with the help of a stetofonendoskop occurs.
- Percussion, with the help of which they reveal the density of tissues and pain in the upper abdomen.
- After the initial examination, the patient can be redirected to x-rays. The study lasts no more than ten minutes. This research method consists in passing a microbeam x-ray through body tissue. The method is able to identify:
- Malignant tumors of the abdominal cavity;
- Formed stones in the gall bladder or kidneys;
- Pathology of changes in the spine;
- Stomach ulcer;
- The presence of abscesses in the abdominal cavity and liver;
- Diaphragmatic hernia;
- Developing pathologies in the spine;
Depending on the results of the examination, the patient may be prescribed:
- Computed tomography;
- Magnetic resonance imaging;
- Ultrasound procedure;
- Microbiological research methods, including:
- Cultural survey;
- Detection of antigens and antibodies;
- Polymerase chain reaction;
- Clinical and biochemical blood test;
- Clinical and biochemical analysis of urine;
What drugs can prescribe?
Traditional therapy may be medical or surgical. Tablets or surgery is prescribed depending on the developing disease. If it hurts in the upper abdomen, then the operation is prescribed in the following cases:
- With peritonitis;
- Acute pancreatitis;
- Ulcer or cholecystitis, which are accompanied by internal bleeding;
- In identifying cancer pathology.
Analgesics for pain relief. They are available in the form of injections, tablets or syrups.