One of the most common health problems is sore throat. This symptom accompanies various pathological conditions. Therefore, it is very important to determine the main cause of pain in the pharynx. From this depends on the correctness of the choice of the desired course of treatment.
Various methods are used to combat diseases whose symptoms are sore throat. Among the medication – prescribed pills, lozenges for sucking and sprays for local use, antibiotics can be used. Alternative methods include gargling, inhalation and medication for internal use. In some cases, sore throat is an indication for surgery.
The main causes of severe sore throat
Severe sore throat is only a symptom, you need to look for the cause!
Severe pain, which is localized in the throat, can be observed as a symptom in the following pathological conditions: various types of tonsillitis, allergic reactions, pharyngitis, acute respiratory infections, acute respiratory viral infections, laryngitis, tonsillitis, scarlet fever, ovarian formation in the larynx, whooping cough, and bursal process.
In particular, sore throats often occur when pathogens such as viruses (parainfluenza, influenza, colds, measles, chickenpox) and bacteria (diphtheria bacilli, streptococci and staphylococci, chlamydia) provoke the disease. Some sexually transmitted diseases can also be accompanied by sore throat.
The occurrence of pain in the throat in some cases, and other factors affect:
- Reducing the level of humidity.
- Smoke from cigarettes.
- Voice overvoltage.
- Violation of hygiene rules.
- Otolaryngological diseases.
- Dental diseases.
- Weak immune system.
- The effects of chemicals when inhaled.
- Pathology of the digestive system.
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
- The presence in the outbreak of a foreign object.
- Adverse climatic conditions.
Often this condition is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- Hoarseness and sore throat.
- Nasal discharge.
- Increased body temperature.
- Hyperymia in the throat.
- Swollen lymph nodes under the jaw and on the neck.
- Difficulty in swallowing.
In some diseases, a symptom of which is a sore throat, patients have a feeling of coma in the throat, shortness of breath, wet or dry cough, loss of appetite.
Drug treatment: tablets, sprays and lozenges
Important! Treatment depends on the diagnosis
Treatment of diseases whose symptom is sore throat should be with a comprehensive approach. In almost all cases, various topical aerosols and special lozenges are prescribed to eliminate pain in the throat.
Particularly effective are sprays that help relieve the inflammatory process and reduce pain in the throat. Usually experts write out such aerosols:
Sprays that contain antibacterial agents include Bioparox and Fuzofungin.
More information on how to quickly get rid of a sore throat can be found in the video:
Quickly reduce pain and lozenges for sucking. They act locally on the inflammatory focus, so they reduce pain in the throat and irritation. These drugs include:
- Hexoral Tabs
For sore throat, other groups of pills are also used:
- For diseases that occur due to viral infection and are accompanied by sore throat, antiviral medications are prescribed, for example, Neovir, Anaferon, Isoprinosine, Arbidol, Amiksin.
- Antihistamines are used to relieve puffiness and eliminate an allergic reaction: Loratadine, Tavegil, Cetrin, Suprastin, Claritin.
- Acetaminophen, Analgin, Ibuprofen are used to reduce the pain and decrease the temperature.
It is important to remember that only an experienced specialist should prescribe drugs. It is not recommended to engage in self-treatment for sore throat, since it can be caused by various pathologies. Therefore, you first need to diagnose the underlying disease, and then eliminate its symptoms.
Antibacterial drugs are used only for bacterial infections!
In frequent cases, the cause of pain in the pharynx is a bacterial infection. In this condition, the doctor must prescribe antibiotics.
The antibacterial agents that are used for such diseases include the following groups:
- Cephalosporin group. Usually, Zinnat, Ceftriaxone, Cefalexin, Cefabol, Suprax, Cefuroxime are prescribed. These drugs are strong antibiotics, so they are used for advanced forms of the disease.
- Macrolide row. The active substances of these antibiotics have the property of rapid penetration into the inflammatory focus, they are effective from most pathogens. The most effective are Erythromycin, Sumamed, Azithromycin, Zitrolid, Spiramycin.
- Penicillins. These antibiotics contain amoxicillin, as well as clavulanic acid. Flemoksin, Augmentin, Amoxicillin, Flemoklav, Ekoklav shown in diseases that are accompanied by sore throat.
- Tetracycline group. Used when pathogens are resistant to other antibiotics. In childhood these medications are prescribed infrequently.
It is important to remember that a patient who is treated with antibiotics is also shown to receive probiotics, which help prevent intestinal dysbiosis. Therefore, during treatment with antibacterial drugs, it is necessary to take such agents as Laktovit, Linex, Lactobacterin, Yogurt, Hilak Forte, Bifiform.
Inhalation of severe sore throat
Nebulizer inhalation – a modern method of treating diseases of the throat
In alternative medicine, in case of a sore throat it is recommended to do inhalation procedures. For steam inhalation or procedure using a special device – a nebulizer, you can use decoctions based on such medicinal plants:
- Oak bark
- pharmaceutical camomile
- Air root
These healing herbs have analgesic, bactericidal and anti-inflammatory effects.
In addition, you can use essential oils for the inhalation method – sage, mint, peach, olive, eucalyptus oils are best suited for the throat.
Inhalation is also recommended to do, using honey. This product is used for sore throat not only for inhalation method, but also for internal use. The following recipes are considered popular in this case:
- Pine buds infused with honey
- Honey Based Garlic Syrup
When using alternative drugs, it is important to remember that they are only auxiliary methods, therefore it is important to discuss the possibility of their use with a specialist.
Gargling: effective remedies
We treat severe sore throat by rinsing
One of the methods that is included in the complex treatment, rinsing is obligatory. You can gargle with medication, as well as folk remedies.
Among the medicines that are used for this procedure, prescribe:
Saline can not buy, and do it yourself. For this there are various cooking methods. One of the more popular recipes is a solution based on a glass of water (warm), a teaspoon of salt (sea or regular cook). It is also recommended to add a spoonful of soda and a drop of iodine and stir all these ingredients thoroughly. A remedy is also recommended in which a slightly beaten egg white is added.
Means for rinsing can be prepared at home. The advantages of these drugs are their availability and safety. These include:
- Beet Juice
- Chamomile decoction
- Calendula Infusion
- Eucalyptus decoction
- Violet infusion
Rinsing the throat with these tools helps to envelop the sore throat, relieve the inflammatory focus, relieve pain. Most of these drugs have antiseptic, analgesic properties.
Tonsillectomy – surgery to remove the tonsils
In some advanced cases, tonsillectomy is used. Such operations are done when there is no effectiveness from the applied treatment. Such a surgical procedure consists of removing the tonsils.
Tonsillectomy will also be used under the following conditions:
- Bad nasal breathing.
- Sepsis is tonsilogenic.
- Frequently recurring sore throats (when relapses occur more than four times in one year).
Indications for surgery is also the case when lymphoid tissues begin to grow in the tonsils.
This procedure can be carried out in several ways:
- Using ultrasound radiation.
- The use of liquid nitrogen.
- Laser method.
Such intervention is not allowed when the patient has diabetes, an acute infectious disease, tuberculosis and diseases of the hematopoietic system.
To prevent the development of diseases that provoke sore throat, it is necessary to observe the following preventive measures:
- Timely treatment of otolaryngological and dental diseases.
- Providing rational and balanced nutrition.
- Avoiding stressful situations.
- Observance of a healthy lifestyle.
- Walks in the open air.
- Limiting contact with allergens.
- Observance of cleanliness in the rooms.
- Hardening of the body, including the tonsils.
- Maintenance examinations annually.
In addition, it is important to comply with hygiene rules. Reduces the risk of developing diseases associated with throat, rest by the sea.