When the leg starts to get numb from the hip to the knee, then you should not panic. Usually, such a condition arises due to excessive exercise and goes away by itself. However, it is necessary to guard in the event that the leg becomes numb often enough and it happens for a long time. This is a reason for going to the doctor and passing the examination. So why the leg grows numb from a hip to a knee? Let’s try to find out the reasons for this.
In about 70% of cases, patient complaints are associated with numbness of the front of the thigh. In severe cases, when the locomotor system is affected, patients note that not only the leg from the hip to the knee becomes numb, but also pain in the perineum, groin, buttocks, abdominal cavity and lumbar region. Usually such a condition is characteristic of an intervertebral hernia.
What is numbness?
Medical terminology refers to the numbness of the term paresthesia. This is a violation of sensitivity, accompanied by a feeling of numbness, tingling, burning. Paresthesia usually occurs as a result of prolonged mechanical compression or irritation of the surface nerve bundle, as well as due to temporary disruption of the blood supply to a specific area of the body. Such numbness is called passing because it passes quickly enough. For example, if a person is in a sitting position for a very long time, then the leg starts to numb and tingle.
Chronic paresthesia is already a pathology and quite often indicates the defeat of any part of the nervous system.
If the leg gets numb from the hip to the knee, the reasons may be the following:
- Osteochondrosis is considered the most common cause of numbness in the legs. With this disease, the nerve is squeezed, which causes impaired conduction to the organ and back. In addition to the violation of innervation of the area, the vessels in the spine begin to pinch reflexively, aggravating the situation. Osteochondrosis occurs due to low physical activity or lack of physical activity and can develop at any age.
- Intervertebral hernia is also a frequent cause of numb leg from the hip to the knee. In this disease, intervertebral discs are displaced, which is why spinal cord roots do not enter the spinal canal, where they should be, but end up between the articular discs. As a result, they are constantly being injured, causing numbness.
- Atherosclerosis is a disease that is characterized by the occurrence of cholesterol plaques that attach to the walls of large vessels and gradually block their lumen. This leads to the fact that the organs and tissues ceases to receive oxygen, slows down blood circulation. Muscles and joints also begin to experience oxygen starvation, a feeling of numbness and tingling. Causes atherosclerosis overweight, bad habits, high blood cholesterol.
- Rheumatoid arthritis is an inflammatory autoimmune disease of the joints. Swelling of the articular sac leads to squeezing of the nerve, causing numbness.
- Neuropathy is a disease characterized by a complete loss of nerve endings. The patient has a feeling of pricking, pain, burning, numbness, itching, his legs begin to swell.
- Low physical activity often leads to numb leg from the hip to the knee. If the legs are constantly without movement, then in addition to numbness, you can earn osteochondrosis. Therefore, people whose profession is associated with a long stay in one place without movement, should pay much more attention to the health of their feet. It is necessary to allocate every hour for 5-10 minutes for gymnastics, which will prevent any disease of the legs.
- Pregnancy also provokes numbness in the lower extremities. At this time, the woman’s body begins to rebuild, and the bloodstream is directed through the umbilical arteries. There is a feeling of numbness in different parts of the skin.
In addition to these common causes, there are others:
- Prolonged alcohol abuse.
- Mental deviations and disorders.
- Treatment with drugs, a side effect of which is a negative effect on blood vessels and nerve endings.
- Diseases of the thyroid gland.
- Spinal injury, thighs, lower extremities.
Symptoms of numbness
Depending on which part of the leg has lost sensitivity, the doctor is able to determine the disease that caused this pathological condition.
If the left leg goes numb from the hip to the knee, as well as the right leg, then this is usually observed with polyneuropathy. If such a pathological condition has engulfed the groin, this is a clear sign of Bernhardt’s symptom – Roth or radiculopathy. Both of these diseases are hereditary.
If one leg is numb, this indicates problems with the spine, and usually the lesion is observed on the side of the patient’s leg. There may also be pain in the lumbar region. The pathological condition in the knee area or slightly below it indicates that the sciatic nerve is clamped.
Also, if the right leg gets numb from the hip to the knee, then this may be due to the peculiarities of professional activity. This also applies to the left leg.
Numbness and pain that occurs in the upper thigh, may indicate tunnel syndrome. It is characterized by the fact that the neurovascular bundle passes through a very narrow channel and is squeezed. The outer and the back of the thigh are usually numb with radiculopathy and intervertebral hernia. There may also be pain in the gluteus muscle.
If the leg gets numb from the hip to the knee when walking, there is lameness, feeling of running chills, then problems with the cardiovascular system are likely.
Despite the pronounced symptoms that indicate the cause of numbness in the legs, it is necessary to carry out diagnostic measures. They include the following examination methods:
- computed or magnetic resonance imaging;
- analysis of blood plasma for the level of vitamins and minerals.
If the leg goes numb from the hip to the knee, what to do? It is necessary to consult a doctor. Only the treatment started in time can bring a positive result and guarantee complete deliverance from this ailment. If numbness in the leg bothers the person for a long time, then in advanced cases the atrophy of nerve fibers and roots develops. The disease becomes chronic, and it is likely that the feeling of numbness will periodically occur throughout life.
In addition, there may be a growing weakness and feeling of pain in the leg. Possible restructuring of the musculoskeletal system, and then the weight of the body is transferred to a healthy leg, which leads to the curvature of the spine. There is also a high probability of the occurrence of disorders of the nervous system, manifested in the form of depression.
Thus, if the leg gets numb from the hip to the knee, treatment should begin with getting rid of the factor that causes this pathological condition. In cases of spinal diseases, the entire musculoskeletal system is carefully examined and corrections are made to prevent the development of new symptoms.
Treatment includes the use of the following drugs and activities:
- nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (“Nimesulide”, “Diclofenac”), produced in the form of tablets, ointments, injections;
- fortifying drugs and vitamins of group B;
- muscle relaxants (Tizanidine, Baclofen) relieve tension from the muscles and restore their tone;
- nootropic drugs (Piracetam, Cavinton) restore and improve blood flow;
- Medical gymnastics helps to activate the muscles and relieves the feeling of discomfort;
- physiotherapy, helping to restore nerves (paraffin baths, mud baths).
In addition, surgery is possible to eliminate the compression of the nerve roots during a hernia or protrusion of the discs, as well as osteochondrosis.
If, after the examination, no serious illness was detected, and the reason for leg numbness is insufficient physical activity, it is recommended that more time be given to walking. The time of the walk should be increased gradually so that the legs do not overstrain. It is advisable to have orthopedic shoes, so that the pressure when walking is distributed evenly not only on the muscles of the legs, but also on the entire spine.
Thus, if the leg goes numb from the hip to the knee, then the sooner the treatment is carried out, the more likely it is to get rid of such a pathological condition without any consequences. Early diagnosis of a serious disease, a symptom of which is numbness in the lower limbs, helps to stop the development of a disorder in the body. Do not neglect your health, but rather use preventive measures to prevent diseases.