Perioral dermatitis is a local inflammation of the skin that occurs for various reasons. Many people mistakenly believe that the deterioration of the aesthetics of the face and psychological discomfort are the only problems that are present with this diagnosis.
In fact, this disease can turn into a chronic form, progress and cause a number of more dangerous complications. The proposed article will discuss the main symptoms of this disease and the features of its course, as well as methods of diagnosis and subsequent treatment.
What is perioral dermatitis?
This disease is a lesion of the skin around the mouth, which is accompanied by inflammatory processes. At risk are women of reproductive age, although the occurrence of perioral dermatitis in men or young children is not excluded.
To date This diagnosis is recorded worldwide., it does not depend on the standard of living of a particular person or in the country as a whole.
In another article on our website, we discussed another type of dermatitis – allergic. You can see the symptoms and photos of allergic dermatitis in adults.
Dermatitis – a rash in the form of bubbles, peeling, discomfort, itching, burning, and so on. The causes may be different, depending on which there are several types of dermatitis, for example, infectious, allergic, atopic, food and
The cream contains only natural ingredients, including bee products and plant extracts. High efficiency, practically no contraindications and minimal risks of side effects. The tremendous results of treatment with this drug appear in the first weeks of use. Recommend.
Causes of perioral dermatitis in adults
Perioral dermatitis It was investigated by experts for a very long time, after which they concluded that the main reason was the decrease in the basic protective functions of the skin, after which it could not withstand aggressive external influences.
Among the factors capable of provoking such a phenomenon can be identified:
- Too long and frequent use of toothpastes with a high concentration of fluoride in the composition.
- The systematic use of cosmetics, characterized by a rough impact on the skin, for example, various scrubs.
- The passage of potentially harmful and dangerous cosmetic procedures, first of all it concerns chemical exposure and mechanical peeling.
- The use of pharmacological or cosmetic products, which include components of the hormonal type.
- Medication use of corticosteroids.
- The presence of seborrhea. Seborrhea on the face is formed in the forehead, eyebrows and cheekbones. Photos of seborrheic dermatitis on the face, you can see in another article on the site.
- Disruption of the functioning of the digestive, vascular or endocrine system.
- Frequent exposure to direct sunlight or excessive amounts of UV radiation in other ways.
- Change of residence, implying a sharp and dramatic change in climatic conditions.
- Taking contraceptives that lead to hormonal imbalances in the body.
- General deterioration of the immune system.
Causes of perioral dermatitis in children
As already mentioned, perioral dermatitis can also be observed in children, in this case, an immediate consultation with a pediatrician is always required.
The causes of this disease in younger patients may be the following factors:
- Hormonal changes in the body and associated with the process of growth and maturation of the child.
- Age-related changes in the structure of the skin, which can cause a number of dermatological problems.
- Other lesions of the skin of the face, often accompanied by purulent inflammation. In the most difficult cases, hormonal ointments are prescribed for local use, which provokes the parallel occurrence of perioral dermatitis.
- Violations and deterioration of the immune system, which is typical for a growing organism.
- Increased need for nutrients, an acute shortage of vitamins, minerals or any chemical elements in the body.
What does perioral face dermatitis look like?
The external manifestations of perioral dermatitis are similar to many other skin diseases, therefore only a dermatologist should be involved in diagnosis.
The main symptom is the appearance of small rashes and pimples, which have the following features:
- The main areas of injury can be the areas around the lips, the nasolabial fold and the chin area.
- The location of all the rashes is usually symmetrical.
- The sizes of pimples can be very different and vary from very small to quite large, and also merge into a single focus.
- At the initial stage, the rash is red or has a light pink tint, but over time they turn brown.
- A rash can develop into a purulent irritation if third-party infections get into it.
- After passing the rashes in their place for a long time hyperpigmentation persists.
- Near the rim of the lips remains a small strip with a thickness of 1.5-2mm, which is not susceptible to inflammation. This is the hallmark of perioral dermatitis, which is observed in most patients.
In order to better understand what perioral dermatitis looks like, the following is given: Photo dermatitis, which captures the main manifestations of this disease:
Shocking statistics – found that more than 74% of skin diseases – a sign of infection by parasites (Ascaris, Lyamblia, Toksokara). Worms cause tremendous harm to the body, and our immune system is the first to suffer, which should protect the body from various diseases. E. Malysheva shared a secret how to get rid of them quickly and cleanse their skin is enough. Read more
The clinical picture in each case looks individually, since the main symptoms may be pronounced or appear slightly.
The following symptoms usually indicate the presence of perioral dermatitis:
- Drying of the skin and peeling of the areas around the mouth.
- Overflow of blood vessels, observed in the same area.
- The occurrence of edema.
- The formation of small rashes and pimples, which may have a different appearance, in some cases they are filled with serous exudate.
- Feeling of increased tightness of the skin in the affected areas.
Tired of fighting dermatitis?
Peeling of the skin, discomfort and itching, redness, rash in the form of bubbles, cracks, weeping wounds, redness, burning – these are signs of dermatitis.
The treatment requires an integrated approach and this cream, which has a 100% natural composition, will be a good helper.
In such cases, our readers recommend using this tool – cream-wax HEALTH with bee venom.
It has the following properties:
- Eliminates itching after the first use.
- Eliminates skin rashes and peeling after 3-5 days
- Reduces excessive activity of skin cells
- After 19-21 days completely eliminates plaques and traces of them
- Prevents the appearance of new plaques and an increase in their area
Diagnosis and diagnosis is done by a specialist dermatologist, usually for this purpose, the following methods are used:
- Conducting a visual examination, studying the clinical picture and obtaining information from the patient about the factors that could trigger perioral dermatitis. Usually these activities are sufficient to establish the causes of irritation.
- Conducting skin allergy tests.
- Taking blood for analysis and study of pathological changes in its chemical composition.
- Consultation with other specialists, first of all the patient can be referred to a gastroenterologist, therapist or allergist. Similar measures may be required to make an accurate diagnosis if, in parallel with perioral dermatitis, symptoms of other diseases occur. Occasionally, an examination by an ophthalmologist is ordered if the lesion affects the area of the eyelids, but this happens only in rare cases.
Stories of our readers! For a long time I experienced discomfort from dandruff and hair loss. Standard shampoos helped, but the effect was short-term. And this complex was advised by a friend who used it herself. Excellent tool!
The skin stopped to itch, the hair was combed well and was not so greasy. Fallout stopped quickly enough. I could not even dream of such an effect! Recommend.
In some cases, for example, when changing climatic conditions, multiple relapses can be observed, therefore, after completion of treatment, a course of preventive measures aimed at maintaining the achieved positive result is required.
The main ways to get rid of perioral dermatitis, which are practiced today, are discussed in detail below in the respective chapters.
By “zero therapy” is meant one of the first stages of treatment, which implies the fulfillment of the following conditions:
- Purchase and use of toothpaste, from the composition of which fluorine is excluded.
- Termination of the course of treatment with corticosteroids, if it has been practiced before.
- Refusal to use decorative cosmetics on the affected areas of the face.
- Use for washing special products that do not cause an allergic reaction even in the absence of a tendency to it.
- Compliance with a special diet complex.
In the treatment of severe forms of perioral dermatitis, the following side effects may occur:
- The appearance of red spots on the skin.
- The appearance of additional puffiness.
- Local temperature increase in the lesions.
Many people are frightened by these symptoms, and they, at their discretion, change the course of treatment by starting to use potent pharmacological drugs or resuming the use of corticosteroids. This can only aggravate the situation and make the recovery process even longer.
In fact, all the symptoms described are an absolutely normal reaction on the part of the body and in a short time they will disappear naturally.
Stories of our readers! I suffered from dermatitis. My hands and face were covered with small spots and cracks. What I didn’t try was that the preparations helped only for a while. A colleague advised me to order this cream.
Finally, thanks to the cream, I completely got rid of the problem. After the third procedure, burning and itching disappeared, and after 4 weeks the signs of dermatitis disappeared. I am very pleased and recommend using this cream to all people suffering from skin problems.
Regardless of the causes of perioral dermatitis, compliance with the diet complex is assigned, aimed at eliminating from the diet of any dishes and food products that can cause or enhance the existing allergic reaction. In accordance with it will have to abandon the use of the following food and beverages.
Should be excluded from nutrition:
- Any meat products, as well as dishes containing fats of animal origin, regardless of their volume.
- Alcoholic beverages and alcohol products in any quantity.
- Too strong tea.
- Coffee and any drinks containing caffeine, regardless of their strength.
- Sour and spicy dishes.
- Spices and seasonings.
- Sweets and pastries.
For maximum purification of the digestive system and removal of decomposition products from it by a specialist a course of enemas or fasting may be prescribed, the specificity of which is determined individually in each specific case.
Ointment should be used very carefully and only by appointment of a specialist, all products containing components of the hormonal type should not be used.
Among the permitted drugs are:
- Ointment with metronidazole (Metronidazole, Trichopol) despite the low cost, are very effective means. The gel is applied only to clean skin, the procedure is carried out daily in the morning and evening. The duration of the course is determined by the dermatologist depending on the clinical picture and the presence of positive dynamics, usually it varies from 3 to 9 weeks.
- Erythromycin is an ointment based on the active ingredient of the same name, this drug is very often used in dermatological practice, including in the treatment of perioral dermatitis. The tool is designed to relieve existing inflammation and accelerate the process of regeneration of damaged skin.
Specialists often prescribe antibiotics during the acute phases of perioral dermatitis. At the same time, after the beginning of their use, the main symptoms may worsen, which is normal and natural reactions of the body, positive dynamics occur after 2-3 weeks.
In most cases, the following drugs are included in therapy:
- Monocycline is an antibiotic of semi-synthetic origin, is available in the form of tablets for oral administration. The course is to eliminate the acute manifestations of dermatitis, this tool has a complex effect, not only removing inflammation, but also providing an antibacterial effect that can destroy all microorganisms that can hit the skin in such a dangerous period. Sometimes Monocycline causes a number of side effects on the part of the digestive system, it can also provoke headache attacks or loss of appetite. Side effects of tablets can be observed not only during the course, but immediately after stopping treatment.
- Tetracycline in tablet form for oral administration is also often prescribed for the treatment of perioral dermatitis. Assigned when it is impossible to use many other methods of treatment, because they have a minimum list of contraindications, including pregnancy, breastfeeding period, children under 8 years of age, violations of the chemical composition of blood and some diseases that disrupt the functioning of the kidneys.
To reduce the allergic reaction, which is expressed in the appearance of edema, as well as a burning sensation and itching, sedative antihistamines of the first generation can be prescribed.
The course usually includes the following tools:
- Suprastin is the most common pharmacological drug to reduce the allergic reaction. The release is in the form of tablets for oral administration or solution for injection, in the treatment of perioral dermatitis is usually used the first option.
- Chloropyramine It is produced in the form of a solution for intravenous or intramuscular administration, usually it is prescribed in cases where for some reason it is impossible to use Suprastin, since these drugs are analogues.
- Tavegil has the same properties as Suprastin, the drug is valid for up to 12 hours. Unlike most other antihistamines, it has a milder effect on the body and rarely provokes the occurrence of side effects.
- Fenkarol appointed in the most difficult situations, because this drug has a stronger and more lasting effect, while the risk of side effects is minimal.
Antihistamines are also used to treat another type of dermatitis – atopic. In another article on our website, you can read information about what is atopic dermatitis in adults.
During the treatment of perioral dermatitis, attention should be paid to the following features of skin care:
- All cosmetics and products previously used, should no longer be used for skin care. It is allowed to use only therapeutic agents prescribed by the attending physician, as well as special powders and creams with a moisturizing effect.
- After removing all existing inflammations You can gradually begin to use the usual means of skin care, but this can only be done with the permission of the attending physician. In this case, you should not simultaneously begin to apply all the available cosmetics at once, you need to return to it gradually.
- The best way to skin care will be the reception of complexes containing vitamin B and nicotinic acid. This will positively affect the regeneration of the damaged epidermis, as well as strengthen the immune system. Such a course should be agreed with a specialist.
Protection against ultraviolet radiation and temperature extremes is another important condition that must be observed during treatment.
It is enough to adhere to the following rules:
- It is impossible to completely avoid exposure of the sun to the face, but such situations should be kept to a minimum.
- When going outside in sunny weather, you need to use special creams to protect against ultraviolet radiation, but they must be selected by a dermatologist in order not to provoke an allergic reaction.
- It is required to normalize the temperature conditions in the room should be normalized, since the heat can slow down the positive dynamics.
Some known treatments for perioral dermatitis are listed below:
- One teaspoon of baking soda is diluted in a glass of water, the resulting solution is used to treat the affected areas of the face.
- The pumpkin is rubbed on a grater, after which the pulp is mixed with the juice and the product obtained is used as a face mask. Remove it will need after 10-15 minutes.
- To prepare a healing infusion, take one tablespoon of birch buds for a glass of water. The finished product can be used for oral administration, and for the treatment of affected areas.
- Infusion, prepared on the basis of Hypericum or plantain, is used to treat the affected skin. To obtain a positive result, the procedure must be repeated 2-3 times a day.
The following precautions are recommended to minimize the risk of oral dermatitis:
- Avoid cosmetics and corticosteroid type ointments.
- Do not use fluoride toothpastes for a long time and without special need.
- Try not to use household chemicals or detergents containing allergenic components.
- Observe therapeutic diets, stop using potentially harmful products and lead a healthy lifestyle without smoking and taking alcoholic beverages.
- Follow the rules of personal hygiene.
The prognosis for oral dermatitis is positive, but only when prescribed by an experienced specialist.