The feeling of discomfort, heaviness in the stomach, burning, pain in the esophagus are most often signs of overeating. But the cause of severe and frequent heartburn can be any serious illness. Usually this is the first sign of increased acidity, in which the functions of the protective sphincter between the esophagus and the stomach weaken, the juice begins to move upwards, creating a belching and burning effect. It is not always possible to get rid of such a condition at home. If the symptom is regular, it is necessary to consult a doctor for diagnosis and treatment.
The most common causes of heartburn are poor diet, the habit of eating enough at bedtime, eating fatty and spicy foods. As possible sources, experts call the following factors:
1. The special sensitivity of the gastric mucosa, in which after each meal increases the level of acidity. As a result, juice is released into the esophagus.
2. Nervous disorders, depression, psychosis can also cause severe heartburn. If you do not control this condition, complications are inevitable. In this case, besides the gastroenterologist, the psychotherapist also works with the patient.
3. Bad habits: smoking, alcohol abuse, snacking with harmful products with a high content of fat and acid provoke sour belching, severe pain and nausea.
4. Also causes of heartburn are medications. The use of adrenergic blockers, antagonists, antispasmodics, medications containing caffeine and theophylline, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can lead to a feeling of discomfort, burning, belching and flatulence.
5. Tight clothing, excessive physical exertion – the reasons why an unpleasant feeling torments. With such factors, pressure on the peritoneum occurs, affecting the sphincter, as a result, the acid enters the esophagus. The same happens with excess weight.
6. In pregnant women, the cause of severe burning is a gradual increase in the uterus with the growth of the child. The discomfort is especially noticeable in the third semester, when the baby begins to move and roll over, mechanically acting on the stomach walls. In this case, the expectant mother does not need to do anything on her own; it is better to consult with the leading doctor who will help you safely and effectively treat heartburn.
It is easy to determine the signs of heartburn, but if it becomes regular, accompanied by other manifestations, it is important to pay special attention to the condition after analyzing all the symptoms:
- Excessive salivation with a feeling of a lump in the throat.
- Incomplete bowel movements, constipation.
- The feeling of heaviness in the xiphoid process of the sternum.
- Sour belching, sometimes accompanied by an unpleasant odor.
- Burning in the esophagus.
- Sternum pain worse after stooping and lying down.
- Nausea, cold sweat.
- For serious diseases, food from the stomach rises without visible signs of vomiting.
- Sore throat, cough, hoarseness.
When should I see a doctor?
If the symptoms continue for a short time, disappear after antacids, you can cope with this condition at home. In this case, you should follow the diet and nutritional rules. In other cases, heartburn bothers regularly, which indicates the symptoms of a disease:
1. Gastroesophaginal reflux – a pathology associated with a violation of the stomach and esophagus. Irritated mucosa causes an acid surge, an unproductive cough accompanied by pain in the larynx. Often this condition is taken for an acute attack of angina. Patients complain of discomfort, which is noted immediately after a meal, discomfort does not pass for a long time.
2. In gastric reflux, irritation of the walls with acid is of a prolonged nature. The disease of the Barrett’s esophagus can develop. At the same time, parts of the mucous membrane are replaced by intestinal tissues, metaplasia begins. Over time, the altered cells turn into malignant tumors, leading to cancer.
3. With persistent severe pain and heartburn, gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer are detected. This increases the acidity, affects the walls, slows down the digestive system. In most cases, the discomfort comes at night, often accompanied by nausea.
4. Helicobacter pylori virus is a serious disease in which only a doctor can tell you what to do and how to treat it. Severe heartburn is considered the first symptom of this disease. Pathology often leads to complications if it is not detected in time. The risk of ulceration and bleeding increases several times. Also, the bacterium can provoke intestinal metaplasia and atrophic gastritis.
5. Sometimes an unpleasant sensation in the esophagus is a mimicking sign, in which there is suspicion of angina. Burning behind the sternum indicates a fit of myocardial infarction or hypertension. At the same time, there is nausea and heartburn, vomiting. The condition is not associated with problems of the stomach, the main approach is to take nitroglycerin or drugs that regulate blood pressure.
Disease therapy that helps eliminate burning
In most cases, traditional medicine used at home helps to cure discomfort. Compliance with the diet, the distribution of the diet in several stages, the rejection of bad habits quickly eliminates discomfort and does not allow relapse. But in situations where it lasts a long time, it is repeated several times, patients turn to the doctor with a question about what to do with severe heartburn. Urgent diagnosis is needed to identify pathology. Only after conducting a full examination, the specialist prescribes treatment with medication.
The presence of such symptoms as: 1. bitterness in the mouth, putrid odor; 2. frequent disorders of the gastrointestinal tract, alternating constipation with diarrhea; 3. fatigue, general lethargy; indicate the body is intoxicated by parasites. Treatment must begin now, as the worms that live in the digestive tract or respiratory system.
1. Histamine receptor blockers:
- This group of drugs reduces the production of gastric juice in between meals. It should be noted that prolonged use of funds contributes to a decrease in efficiency. To treat these drugs need strong violations associated with an ulcer or esophagitis, at the same time, they reduce the risk of developing illnesses.
- Cimethine – prescribed for reception from strong heartburn at home. Suppresses the production of basal acid and prevents the stimulation of food. At the same time inhibits the activity of enzymes that produce protein. Suitable for the treatment of peptic ulcer and the prevention of ailments caused by stress. Does not allow recurrence of bleeding of the upper part of the tract, and in the postoperative period. Before you treat this drug, the doctor excludes the presence of tumor formations.
- Ranitidine is another remedy in this group that helps with strong heartburn. Under his influence, the total amount of secretion is reduced, which reduces the formation of pepsin. The drug improves microcirculation, increases the secretion of mucous substances, increases the protective barriers in the tissues, regeneration processes. Recommended for use at home, under the supervision of a physician.
2. Proton pump inhibitors:
- These are medicines that reduce the level of acidity and are intended for prolonged exposure. Help to eliminate severe discomfort, are considered the means of the first choice with strong heartburn. There is a strict condition: drink pills before meals, as they are activated in an acidic environment and can lose their effectiveness, which will prevent you from quickly curing the disease.
- Omeprazole inhibits acid secretion and the function of the exchange of hydrogen ions. As a result, reduced stimulation of food juice, regardless of the properties of the stimulus. The action of the drug comes almost instantly, the treatment after one dose lasts for 30 hours. The analogue is Omez tablets.
- Pariet is another drug of this group. It has antisecretory and anti-ulcer effects. In any doses, it is adsorbed, carrying out the concentration in the cells. If the cause of heartburn is Helicobacter pylori, the drug contributes to the active destruction of the virus. Dieting is one of the main conditions for therapy.
- Emulsions and tablets based on compounds of magnesium, aluminum and calcium. Absolutely harmless, working to redeem mucosal irritability and neutralize acid. In addition, contain additional components that help in the treatment of flatulence, laxatives, anesthetics.
- Rennie has a gastroprotective effect. Getting into the cavity of the stomach, makes possible a chemical reaction, which creates a protective barrier. There is mucus formation, the release of juice stops. Suitable for the treatment of gastritis, duodenitis, ulcers, severe heartburn of different etiologies, relieves pain.
- Phosphalugel has an enveloping effect, protects the mucous membrane, stimulates the sphincter, does not allow an increase in acidity. It is used in food poisoning in conjunction with a diet. Neutralizing effect occurs gradually, prevents the development of phosphorus deficiency in the body.
- Maalox reduces pepsin activity, adsorbs and envelops mucous membrane. It makes a protective barrier, preventing secondary hypersecretion. Apply when heartburn becomes stronger, at the same time relieves from flatulence, has a choleretic effect.
- Preparations that improve digestion, are composed of enzymes. Medications help eliminate severity, epigastric pain, belching, and nausea. Tablets are shown at lower secretory function, are available in membranes resistant to acidic medium.
- Mezim is created on a natural basis, the main component is pancreatin – an extract from the pancreas of cattle. Thanks to enzymes, the functions of the digestive system are normalized, splitting and absorption of nutrients into the mucous is improved.
- Festal has a similar specificity, is prescribed in the treatment of flatulence, heartburn, bitter belching and pain. Especially effective in pathologies of the pancreas, cholecystitis, gastrointestinal disorders. Used to restore the mucous after therapy with broad-spectrum antibiotics and esophageal damage.
Long-lasting and often repeated heartburn, along with severe pain and nausea, may indicate a number of serious ailments. If nothing helps with burning, you should seek help from a doctor who will tell you what to do in case of various pathologies. It is important to remember that any treatment is effective in the complex and with the obligatory observance of the diet and the distribution of the diet for 5-6 doses.