Now experts adhere to several treatment regimens for reflux esophagitis. Each of them is selected individually, taking into account all the results obtained.
The main course of medical therapy
Treatment of reflux esophagitis lasts 8 weeks. Pump inhibitors (PPIs) are taken twice per day (morning, evening). Omeprazole is also prescribed twice a day for 20 mg. Lansoprazol should be taken on 30 mg also in the morning and evening. Reception of raboprozole is most effective in treating reflux esophagitis (1 time in 24 hours). Pantoprazole – 40 mg / 2p. day. Esomeprazole is administered at a dose of 20 mg with a similar frequency as pantoprazole.
The course of treatment should continue for a month. IPP taken once a day. The dosage of other drugs ranges from 10 mg to 40 mg. The amount depends on the severity of the inflammatory process.
After the main course of treatment, supportive treatment is always prescribed. This is a good prevention, since only 20% of patients with esophagitis retain remission for six months without proper treatment.
Most patients take drugs for life, so the risk of esophageal cancer is reduced.
The first scheme of therapeutic therapy with the same medicine. It does not take into account the pronounced symptoms, the degree of soft tissue changes, the presence of complications. This approach is not effective, in some cases it may be harmful to health.
The second approach to treatment is intensifying therapy. It implies the appointment of different aggressiveness drugs at different stages of the inflammatory process. Treatment consists of following a diet and taking antacids. If no effect is observed, the doctor prescribes a combination of similar drugs, but more powerful in action.
The third scheme, in which the patient begins to take strong proton pump blockers. As soon as the symptoms subside, mild prokinetics are applied. This measure has a positive effect on the health of patients in whom reflux esophagitis occurs in a severe form.
The classical scheme in 4 stages
- Reflux esophagitis with its weak manifestation (grade 1) is supported by lifelong administration of drugs (antacids, prokinetics).
- The average severity of inflammation (grade 2) implies regular adherence to proper nutrition. It is also necessary to take blockers that normalize acidity.
- During the period of severe inflammatory process (grade 3), receptor blockers and inhibitors together with prokinetics are prescribed to the patient.
- When the latter degree of drugs are powerless, therefore, requires surgery and a course of supportive treatment.
Medication is carried out in two stages. The first method heals and normalizes the mucous membrane of the esophagus.
The second method of treatment helps to achieve remission. In this scheme, there are three approaches, which are selected only together with the patient at his request.
- Acceptance of proton pump inhibitors for a long time in high doses, which allow to prevent relapse.
- On demand. Inhibitors are taken in full dosage. The course is short – 5 days. With the help of these drugs, unpleasant symptoms are quickly stopped.
- In the third approach, medications are taken only during the onset of symptoms. It is recommended to drink the desired dosage 1 time per week.
Preparations for the treatment of reflux esophagitis
Reflux esophagitis at the initial stage can be cured only with proper, balanced nutrition. In the remaining stages, only medication treatment helps. Specialists use several groups of drugs for reflux esophagitis during treatment therapy.
- Prokinetics. They normalize the department of the lower sphincter, which skips food from the esophagus. As the main active ingredient in the preparation is dompyridone. It is contained in motilium and motilak.
- Antacids. Reduce acidity, neutralizing it. From this group comes the drug Almagel. If the painful attacks are sufficiently intense, Almagel A. is prescribed. The duration of the second type of gel is no more than seven days.
- Antisecretory drugs. Suppress the occurrence of acid. Of this type of medication, take omeprazole, drinking it down with a small amount of liquid. Do not chew the capsule. Famotidine is also prescribed.
The duration of treatment and the amount of medication taken depends on the severity of the inflammatory process. Usually prescribed two drugs from different groups. For example, motilium with almagel or omeprazole together with motilium. Therapy should last at least 1.6 months. For severe inflammation of the esophagus, all three groups of drugs are used, and they are continued for more than 2 months.
There are certain differences between these drugs. The main ones are different effective mechanisms, speed of onset of positive dynamics, duration of effect on the affected area, different effects depending on the time of admission, price category of the drug.
These differences are taken into account only by a qualified specialist. The district doctor does not focus on these criteria. Be careful.
During the course of the disease, from the beginning to the end of treatment, one should adhere to a healthy lifestyle, follow a diet. This measure is included in the treatment regimen of reflux esophagitis. Since this inflammation occurs in the esophagus, proper nutrition is the key to successful treatment.
Only due to properly selected nutrition, you can normalize the work of the digestive system. Also, if the diet is observed, symptoms of inflammation in the esophagus are rather quickly stopped.
The main signs of esophagitis are a burning sensation in the chest, regular heartburn, belching with air, pain in the stomach. They manifest themselves mainly when a person lies.
Useful tips on nutrition
- Before taking food, it is desirable to consume 200 grams of cool liquid without gas. In this way, the esophagus mucosa is protected.
- During the day, with the right diet, it is recommended to eat two slices of raw potatoes. This will reduce the occurrence of gastric juice. Potatoes can be replaced with a pair of nuts or white bread.
- A person will make a mistake if, in the presence of reflux esophagitis, he will consume alcohol, especially before meals.
- It is advisable to restrain yourself from the temptation to eat something tasty after 20:00. So you eliminate the risk of a burning sensation in the chest.
- After the meal (evening, day), it is desirable to sit down, you can not go to bed.
- Before night rest you should drink chamomile extract in the amount of 100 grams.
- Also it is not necessary to wear tight clothing during esophagitis. Keep away the belt, sash, tightening the abdominal cavity.
- Meals during the day should be fractional, it is advisable to eat at least six times a day. The portions are small. Drink a glass of water before and after eating.
- The optimal fluid for patients with reflux esophagitis is dogrose, compote of dried fruits, milk with a low percentage of fat.
- Enter into your menu during the inflammatory process in the esophagus kefir, curd mass, light yogurt – these products normalize the work of the stomach and esophagus.
- If the patient loves cereals, in the diet should be left only two types of cereals (oats, millet).
- From fruits will help to stop the signs of plum reflux esophagitis, pear fruits, ripe peaches, bananas. They should be consumed in the morning or on an empty stomach.
The sequence of maintenance therapy
Its main principle is to reduce the “aggressiveness” of drugs to a level that quickly eliminates the signs of esophagitis. In an erosive inflammatory process, the condition is maintained by prokinetics. A standard dose of the drug gives a good effect. This moment concerns only two initial degrees of a reflux esophagitis.
In the more severe stages, maintenance therapy consists of the constant use of strong medications, including prokinetics and blockers. Such patients are prescribed frequent studies of the esophagus to monitor the condition of smooth tissues.
The main thing for an experienced specialist is to achieve healing of the esophageal mucosa. Then the doctor relieves with the help of drugs the main symptom – heartburn. The end result should improve the patient’s quality of life.
About the possible methods of treatment of the disease will be discussed below: