If a headache occurs during intercourse, sex is no longer pleasurable. Cephalgia, which develops during intimacy, is considered a rare phenomenon and is more common in men than in women. As a rule, a similar symptom occurs during orgasm, but may also appear before sexual intercourse or after it. Pain increases with sexual arousal, covering the entire surface of the head. Pain is of various durations and intensities.
Coital cephalgia can disturb people, regardless of their age, but appears more often in those who are sexually active.
The following three types of cephalgia occur during sexual contact, depending on the reasons that provoked it:
- Preorgasmic. The pain is dull and aching bilateral, covers the back of the head and neck. Discomfort grows with sexual arousal and can last from a few minutes to 2-3 days. The most common cause of occurrence is the tension of the neck muscles.
- Orgasmic. This type of headache occurs at the time of orgasm and has a short duration. Pain sensations are localized on both sides, occur in the area of the temples and have an intense pulsating character. Cephalgia develops due to high blood pressure.
- Postural. Short-term headache may occur during intercourse, perfect standing. Unpleasant sensations are localized on both sides, accompanied by nausea or even vomiting. The cause of the disease is a change in the liquor pressure in the skull.
Feelings are of two types:
- sudden (intense and sharp attacks appear unexpectedly at the moment of orgasm or immediately after it);
- growing (occur gradually, increasing to the end of sexual intercourse).
Frequent associated symptoms are:
- darkening of the eyes and ringing in the ears;
- loss of consciousness.
Painful sensations during intimacy occur once or recur periodically. Predict the appearance of an attack is almost impossible. Most often, a person who has experienced a similar symptom for the first time in his life may not give it much importance and self-medicate. However, if such pain appears regularly, it is necessary to consult a doctor for examination and elimination of serious pathologies of brain vessels.
The main causes of pain during sex are the following conditions:
- High pressure. On average, upper BP increases by 30–100 mm Hg. Art., the bottom – at 20-40 mm Hg. Art. During intercourse, there is an increase in blood pressure, which sometimes reaches 200/100 mm Hg. Art. and resembles an attack of hypertensive crisis.
- Muscle tension arising from the release of catecholamines – norepinephrine and adrenaline, which are responsible for rapid breathing, heart rate, muscle tension. As a result, there is a headache after sex.
Other factors causing the onset of symptoms:
- cervical osteochondrosis;
- excessive sexual activity;
- taking certain medications;
- vascular dystonia;
- metabolic disease;
- increased intracranial pressure;
- constant stress;
- abuse of foods causing migraine attacks;
- excessive enthusiasm for sports and strong physical exertion on the body;
- stay in an uncomfortable position;
- serious diseases of the central nervous system, including tumors and cysts.
- Headache during intimacy in women is rather rare. The symptoms of coital cephalgia are similar to the following signs of migraine: nausea, pulsation in the temple, and intolerance to light and sound. The main cause is contraceptive use. Discomfort may disappear when you stop taking contraceptives or replace them with others.
- Another factor in the occurrence of pathology is hormonal disbalance, associated with the menstrual cycle and pregnancy.
You can learn more about the causes of headaches during menstruation, as well as get a recommendation on how to prevent this disease.
And also it will be interesting to you in general to learn about the headaches appearing in women.
- During sex with men marked high blood pressure. Due to the release of huge amounts of serotonin and endorphin, as well as increased adrenaline muscle fibers are reduced. This provokes the occurrence of painful vascular nature.
- Muscle strain. Headache during orgasm may appear suddenly and just as quickly disappear at the end of sexual intercourse. Along with relaxing the body, cramps tend to decrease. When muscle tension pain can be eliminated by a light massage of the cervical zone.
- Psychological factors play an important role in the appearance of pain in the head. Fear of sexual contact, lack of self-confidence, fear of premature ejaculation can trigger the development of coital cephalgia.
Cephalgia during sex may indicate serious irregularities in the cardiovascular system. Even if the pain appeared once, you should consult with a specialist. To identify the pathology of the brain and assess the state of the blood vessels, the doctor prescribes diagnostics using computer or magnetic resonance imaging, as well as an electrocardiogram to study the heart rhythm.
When coital and post-coital syndromes appear, it is recommended to wait a while: the pain may disappear by itself when the body regains strength after sexual contact. Sleep is also an effective remedy for cephalgia symptoms.
Orgasmic headache is eliminated by taking beta-blockers, for example, Anaparina, which can reduce the incidence and intensity of spasms. The drug must be taken between attacks for prevention, as well as to reduce the pain that has already appeared. In such cases, the use of analgesics, such as Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, Analgin, Ketorolac, may be recommended.
For the treatment of anxiety symptom, accompanied by nausea and vomiting, it is recommended to take Zerukal and Metoclopramide, but only a doctor can prescribe such drugs.
If pain is associated with fluctuations in blood pressure, antihypertensive drugs are prescribed, beta-blockers, antiarrhythmic drugs.
If coital cephalgia is caused by psychological factors, experts recommend a course of sedatives and antidepressants, such as Befola.
For unknown causes of pain in the head, adrenergic blockers (Atenolol) are prescribed by the doctor, which reduce the excessive activity of the sympathetic nervous system.
If cephalgia is regular, therapeutic exercises, manual therapy, psychotherapy are prescribed.
You can get rid of a headache during sexual intercourse yourself by applying some methods of traditional medicine, including the following:
- Cold compress or cabbage leaf attached to the sore spot.
- A light massage of the neck and occipital region will restore blood circulation through the vessels.
- Strong black tea with sugar and lemon, as well as a drink with mint or melissa will help calm the nervous system and relax.
- Bathing with aroma oils or rubbing essential oils (eucalyptus, lavender, ylang-ylang, lemon) into the painful area.
- If dizziness occurs after sex, you can try the Tibetan medicine method: you need to press the point between the upper lip and the nose and massage it a little.
How to avoid
Among the measures to prevent the occurrence of headaches during intimacy note the following:
- lead a regular sex life;
- stop smoking two hours before and after sex;
- avoid excessive physical exertion;
- slow down or interrupt intercourse with an increase in pain;
- not to make sudden movements, not to take uncomfortable poses that require excessive muscular tension;
- try to prolong sexual intercourse, allowing the body to adapt to the growing excitement;
- take a passive position in sex with a tendency to headaches;
- not to drink alcohol and fatty foods before intimacy: they can contribute to nausea and vomiting;
- do not forget to take stabilizing drugs before sexual intercourse in case of problems with blood pressure;
- get rid of negative thoughts and enjoy the process.
Some doctors believe that the occurrence of coital cephalgia in most cases has no serious reasons and is explained by the state of arousal. However, if there is a tendency to increase, and the spasms are intense, a diagnosis is necessary. Perhaps it is after intimacy that pathological processes in the head become more acute.