Zovirax is an antiviral drug that is intended for outdoor use.
Means represents the homogeneous white mass of a soft consistence without foreign particles, possessing a characteristic smell. It is an effective immune stimulator used externally for the treatment of infections caused by numerous viruses.
On this page you will find all the information about Zovirax: full instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already applied Zovirax ointment. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Antiviral drug for external and local use.
Pharmacy sales terms
Sold without a prescription.
How much is Zovirax? The average price in pharmacies is 190 rubles.
Release form and composition
The drug Zovirax is produced by the pharmaceutical corporation Glaxo Smith Kline Pharmaceuticals SA:
- in pills;
- in the form of cream 5%;
- eye ointment 3%;
- and Lyophilisate to prepare a solution in
The product manufactured by the company in the form of an ointment is called Zovirax ophthalmic. Liofizilat powder is intended for preparation of solution for injections, it is simply called – Zovirax in
Active ingredient Zovirax is a representative of the pharmacological group of drugs antiviral compounds. The antiviral effect is that after the receipt of acyclovir in a virus-infected cell, under the action of thiimdine kinase (an enzyme that appears only inside the virus-infected cell) is converted into active metabolites.
They are inserted into the DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) of the virus, which leads to the failure of its subsequent replication (doubling of the strands) and the disruption of the intracellular multiplication of viral particles. Zovirax cream has the maximum antiviral activity against herpes simplex virus type 1 and 2, Epstein-Barr virus, cytomegalovirus, the causative agent of shingles (Varicella zoster).
Indications for use
What helps Zovirax? Here are the main indications for use:
- Eye ointment is used in the treatment of keratitis, an eye disease caused by types 1 and 2 of the herpes virus.
- The cream is used for the treatment of herpes infections of the skin and mucous membranes, as well as for the treatment of herpes on the lips.
In the form of injections and pills inside Zovirax is prescribed for:
- treating chickenpox;
- treatment of infections in newborns caused by herpes viruses type 1 and 2;
- treatment of infections caused by types 1 and 2 of the herpes virus;
- preventing herpes infections;
- prevention of cytomegalovirus infection.
How does an ointment differ from a cream?
Their effects on the mucous membranes and skin are the same, but the cream cannot be used to treat the mucous membranes of the mouth and eyes. It is intended for the treatment of infections on the face and lips caused by Herpes labialis – herpes simplex virus.
Contraindications include excessive sensitivity to the drug as a whole, and to its active substance. When manifestations of an allergic nature of the drug is canceled.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
Pregnancy requires careful attitude to the health of the woman and the fetus. Therefore, during pregnancy, the drug, although it can be prescribed with appropriate indications, but its use is carried out under the supervision of the attending physician.
During breastfeeding, the drug can pass into breast milk, and the baby also receives a certain dose of the active substance (no more than 0.03%). For this reason, the appointment Zoviraks during lactation should be appointed with extreme caution.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicate that Zovirax cream is recommended to be applied 5 times / day (approximately every 4 hours) in a thin layer on the affected and bordering areas of skin and mucous membranes.
- The duration of treatment is at least 4 days. In the absence of healing, treatment can be continued for up to 10 days. If the symptoms of the disease persist for more than 10 days, you should consult with your doctor.
The cream is applied either with a cotton swab or with clean hands to avoid additional infection of the affected areas.
Instructions for eye ointment
For adults and children, the drug in the form of a strip of ointment with a length of 10 mm should be placed in the lower conjunctival sac. Frequency of use 5 times / day with an interval of about 4 hours.
Therapy should be continued for 3 more days after healing.
Side effects may be in the form of allergic or local reactions:
- Allergic reactions – angioedema;
- Local reactions – blepharitis, conjunctivitis, burning, punctate keratopathy (disappears on its own).
Overdose when using the drug Zovirax in this form is not possible, because the ointment does not have the ability to systematically affect the body.
- When expressed manifestations of herpes lips, it is recommended to consult a doctor.
- When treating genital herpes, it is recommended to avoid sexual intercourse or use condoms,
Any significant drug interactions when using the drug was not detected.
Acyclovir is excreted in the urine unchanged due to tubular secretion. All agents with the same method of elimination may increase the concentration of acyclovir in the blood.
We picked up some reviews of people about Zovirax:
- Lily From colds on the lips helps, but if at the very first signs of its application. if there is already a noticeable inflammation, healing is a little faster!
- Irina . Herpes on the lips was recently at the little daughter. The lip was very red, the bubble burst and caused severe pain. My daughter was uncomfortable to eat. The pharmacist advised me to buy Zovirax. The first 3 days we smeared the vial often, as required by the instructions. The sore shrank, the pain and burning sensation disappeared. In a week, the lip tissue recovered completely, and there was no stain or scar left from the bubble. I recommend this tool to everyone.
- Stepan. He never suffered from herpes, but here he suddenly jumped out on his lips. And in two places. Immediately hurried to the nearest pharmacy, where he bought Zovirax. Began to use the ointment immediately after purchase. Already on the second day I felt better. Herpes on the lips decreased in size, became less painful. By itself, this sore on the lips brings a lot of discomfort. First, the sores were crusted, dried. He continued to lubricate them with ointment. All the treatment took me no more than seven days. A week later, herpes went completely. I liked the effect of Zovirax. Herpes after treatment was no longer manifest than I am very pleased. Therefore, I recommend this remedy to everyone as the most effective and effective in treating an unpleasant herpes disease.
If Zovirax does not suit the patient for any reason, the treatment of herpes is carried out with the help of analogues:
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Zovirax or acyclovir, which is better?
Zyvirax contains acyclovir as an active substance. But Zovirax is original, and numerous Acyclovir (for example, Acyclovir-ACRI, Acyclovir-AKOS, Acyclovir Belupo, and
Accordingly, the original has a higher quality, but is more expensive.
Storage conditions and shelf life
The ointment has a long shelf life until it is opened – 3 years, after opening it is stored for 1 month in the refrigerator or just in a cool place with a temperature not exceeding 25 C.