Composition and properties
Glycerin (glycerol) is a chemical substance in the form of a colorless, viscous, hygroscopic liquid that is miscible with water in any proportions. It possesses the properties of most alcohols, since it is itself a triatomic alcohol. Substance sweet tasteless, odorless.
This substance is widely used as one of the components of cosmetics:
In the cream, this substance has:
- anti-aging effect
- effectively fights mimic wrinkles,
- face skin brightens and tightens.
Properties and effectiveness:
- Let us give an example: if you place it next to an open container filled with water, after a certain time the structure of the drug will change. It turns out not quite glycerol, but a mixture of 80% glycerol and 20% water. The drug likewise absorbs moisture from the environment while on the skin, while moisturizing the face.
- smoothing The preparation fills with microcracks and wrinkles on the face, smoothing the skin and rejuvenating it.
- protection. The peculiar film created by glycerin on the face protects the skin from microbial flora and dirt. The substance can successfully treat eczema and cope with excessive dryness of the skin without complications.
External use of the drug is contraindicated in violation of the integrity of the skin, an allergic reaction to the drug.
The main quality of glycerol is hygroscopic.
The substance covers the skin with a protective film, but at the same time has the ability to absorb moisture from the deeper layers of the epidermis, which contributes to the drying of the skin. That is why there is an opinion that the remedy is more harmful than useful.
At the same time, the substance also absorbs the moisture that is in the surrounding atmosphere, simultaneously absorbing the epidermis. But again: the atmosphere does not always have a sufficient level of humidity. If the air is too dry, the substance absorbs moisture from the deeper layers of the skin, which greatly depletes it.
That is, glycerol should not be used in both too hot and cold season. If, nevertheless, there is a need to apply this drug for cosmetic purposes, and the air is dry, then it is necessary to moisten it: you can use an air humidifier or a spray bottle with water.
It is categorically contraindicated to apply glycerin on the face undiluted: be sure to mix it with water or oil. In its pure form, this substance will absorb moisture from the skin, and the maximum permissible degree of presence of glycerol in a cosmetic product should not exceed 10%.
Video: Beauty Tips
Learn how to remove wrinkles around the eyes at home. What are the contraindications to the use of linseed oil for the face of wrinkles? The list is here.
Face Mask Glycerin Recipes
Glycerol face packs from wrinkles are best done in the morning. Since such masks, in the majority, contain very fatty components. In order to avoid puffiness, it is better not to use glycerol at night.
Before you pamper your face with a mask, you need to wash your face well and blot with a towel. In order for glycerin to be as effective as possible, it must be applied only on moist skin. To enhance the effect of the mask, you can slightly steam the face before the procedure.
We offer several recipes for wrinkle glycerin masks:
- Take 10 ml of glycerol, liquid vitamins E and A, 1 yolk, 40 ml of fresh chamomile infusion.
Prepare the infusion as follows: dry the pharmacy chamomile (1 bag) to brew in half a glass of boiling water, leave for half an hour. Pour chamomile infusion into a container made of glass or ceramics, add liquid glycerol, vitamins A and E, yolk (it should not be cold, optimally at room temperature). Mix the mixture thoroughly and apply on the skin for 15-20 minutes, remove with warm water;
- The mask with glycerin and gelatin is especially useful from wrinkles. Prepare a gelatin base: pour a teaspoon of gelatin with 7-8 teaspoons of cold boiled water, let it swell, then place the container in a water bath and cook until smooth, not boiling. Combine this solution with 4 tablespoons of water and add two teaspoons of glycerin and liquid honey, then mix everything. Such a billet can be stored in a clean, sealed container in the refrigerator for 14–20 days;
- Heat a tablespoon of honey in a water bath, mix with one teaspoon of glycerin, a tablespoon of corn flour, then add a tablespoon of mineral water to the mixture. Apply on face, remove after half an hour with warm chamomile infusion;
- mix the egg yolk with half a tablespoon of butter, add one dessert spoon of honey and glycerin, a tablespoon of chamomile decoction. Keep the mask for 10 minutes, rinse with cold water;
- in mashed potatoes of 1 boiled potato of medium size add 20 ml of milk, 1 yolk, 20 ml of olive oil, a teaspoon of honey and mix. Next, you need to dilute 5 ml of glycerol in the same amount of warm water and add the solution to the prepared products, apply the mask on your face for 15-20 minutes;
- in the glycerol vial of the bottle to enter the contents of 10 capsules of vitamin E, mix. Mask can be done at bedtime, leaving the composition on the face;
- split an egg, add honey (a teaspoon) and a teaspoon of glycerin in the yolk. Beat the egg whites, add flour (a tablespoon). All components are mixed and applied to clean skin for 20 minutes. You need to remove the mask with warm water.
The use of this substance rarely causes negative side reactions. Before use it is necessary to make an allergotest:
- apply some substance on the back of the brush,
- Observe the reaction of the skin – if there is a redness or rash, then you are allergic to glycerin and in no case can you use it.
Among the adverse reactions that can cause this tool, you should also highlight the possibility of strong lightening and depletion of the skin, since glycerin tends to wash out pigments.
Glycerol can clog pores, resulting in pimples and inflammation. If the composition of the cosmetic, in addition to glycerol, is also silicone, then this can lead to desquamation and dryness of the dermis.
But negative effects can occur only in the case of using glycerol in too high concentrations, or if there is an individual intolerance to this drug. In reasonable doses, with proper use, the substance brings only benefit.
How to flush
When we read in recipes: wash off the mask with warm water, you need to know that when applied to masks with the use of glycerin, this statement has nuances.
Course and duration of procedures
Usually the course of application of masks with glycerin is 15-20 procedures, which are carried out with a break of 2-3 days. Such courses can be held 2 times a year, optimally – in spring and autumn.
Read if hydrocortisone anti-wrinkle ointment helps. How to make gymnastics for the face and neck against wrinkles? Read on. Need a cucumber face mask recipe for wrinkles? Learn more.
Can I leave for the night
A face mask with glycerin for wrinkles consists of sufficiently fat components, so it is better not to leave such a mask at night: you can wake up in the morning.
If the mask with this substance is not washed off and left for a longer time for greater effect, then you can get the effect of wet skin (all this is due to the properties of the drug to attract moisture).
An exception may be a face mask against wrinkles with glycerin and vitamin E, it can be left overnight without washing, only half an hour after applying the mask, it is necessary to remove excess funds with a cotton swab.
Are there age limits
There are no age restrictions for applying these masks, you just need to follow the useful tips and apply this tool correctly.