Pain can occur in any inflammatory process. This is due to the fact that edema quickly develops at the site of infection, resulting in compression of the nerve endings. Cystitis is no exception. If cystitis hurts lower abdomen, you must certainly report this symptom to your doctor and begin to carry out appropriate treatment, including aimed at relieving pain.
The content of the article
What can be the pain of cystitis
Abdominal pain in different patients with cystitis may be different. It is not necessary to customize your condition under the given norms and frameworks, there are no certain characteristic features. The patient can describe the pain in the lower abdomen by the following definitions – pulling, aching, shingles, cramping.
The nature of the patient’s abdominal pain will tell the doctor about the possible causes of the disease, the type of inflammatory process and the severity of cystitis. So, most often patients describe the pain in cystitis as periodic, not very strong. The frequency of pain here is related to the filling of the bladder.
The aggressive components of urine quickly affect and worsen the condition of the walls and mucous membranes, increasing their permeability.
Women often describe the pain of cystitis as unpleasant sensations, similar to those that occur during menstruation.
By the way, it is this similarity of symptoms that sometimes causes a woman not to consult a doctor in a timely manner, but awaits the onset of the menstrual cycle, then its completion and cessation of pain.
Localization of pain
In the vast majority of cases, pain during inflammation is localized where pathological processes occur. This is a kind of protective reaction of the body that is trying to signal a person to the presence of a problem. But sometimes the pain of cystitis gives completely in other organs and parts of the body. Can the patient in this case feel pain in other places? Of course, this is exactly what happens with a number of patients.
When a nerve is pinched, which occurs as a result of swelling of the bladder, it sends impulses not only locally, but also along its course. So it turns out that a person feels pain in the lower right or left part of the abdomen, although the inflammation itself is located in the center.
What else will pain say to a cystitis patient?
If the patient’s pain is too severe, it is possible that the inflammation of the bladder has caused other diseases – endometritis, colitis, inflammation in the ovaries, urethritis, cervicitis.
This is usually the case with chronic cystitis, when the patient started treating the primary disease too late, allowing the infection time to take root in his body and spread to neighboring organs and systems.
Which doctor should I contact for lower abdominal pain?
Of course, to the urologist, because this is his direct specialization. But most often get to the highly specialized doctors can only by appointment. If the lower abdomen hurts, you cannot wait even a couple of days. The patient in this case should go to the reception to the therapist and tell him about his problem. The therapist will assess the situation and make the right decision.
This may be an emergency hospitalization in case of suspected purulent inflammation of the bladder, and the appointment of painkillers, effective for pain in the lower abdomen. Perhaps he will refer the patient to the urologist without a queue, so that the specialist can more clearly determine the degree of damage to the urinary organs and begin treatment immediately.
How to treat cystitis pain
Speaking about the treatment of pain, they usually mean the disease itself. Indeed, with the removal of inflammation, the pain must pass by itself. The main therapy, which is usually used, is antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and diuretic use.
If the patient’s cystitis is not in the acute phase, the doctor will not mind the following measures to eliminate the pain:
- Hot sedentary baths. The heat that comes to the patient’s skin speeds up blood flow and thereby relieves swelling in the urogenital organs. This greatly reduces pain. It is important that such baths can only be taken in a sitting position. First, many patients with pain feel quite weak and a sitting position will save them in the event of a sudden deterioration in well-being. Secondly, it is necessary to influence only the pelvic area, and warming up other parts of the body and organs is an unnecessary procedure. Finally, many patients come to the urologist with a bunch of other diseases, including the cardiovascular system. As you know, people with problems with blood flow and heart rhythm take a bath with hot water to chest level is strictly prohibited.
- Warmer. A heating pad, placed on the lower abdomen with cystitis, acts in much the same way as a bath, but patients feel a little less than its effect. The fact is that it is here only on the front part of the body, and in fact it is better to warm up the shingles.
- Sports with a load on the legs. Movement helps to naturally increase blood flow and thereby remove puffiness in the pelvic organs. In addition, it is possible to improve the work of the muscles and thereby restore control over the organs of urination.
All of the above methods can be carried out only with the permission of the doctor. As for exercise, which is permissible to do to reduce pain in cystitis, it is better to consult with an instructor in physical therapy, and at first, and do them under the supervision of a specialist.
Ambulance at home
If the pain has overtaken the patient suddenly and there is no possibility to consult a doctor in the near future, the following recommendations will help relieve discomfort and ease the patient’s well-being. So, the algorithm of actions should be as follows:
- Immediately lie down on the bed or take a horizontal position, even in working conditions. The cystitis stomach itself should be as relaxed as possible.
- Take any pain medicine. Usually adults, and patients with cystitis, all the more, know drugs that relieve pain well. This may be analgin, papaverine and other painkillers that can be found in the first-aid kit. With cramping pains, No-shpa will help, which relaxes smooth muscles.
- During this period, it is forbidden to consume salty, carbonated, sweet, alcoholic and other beverages, provoking the aggravation of inflammation. The same applies to harmful dishes – fried, pickled, smoked food.
- If possible, you need to drink drinks with a slight diuretic effect – decoction of wild rose, chamomile flowers, lingonberry leaves. If they are not at hand, simple warm water also helps. Water temperature is critical, as is the room temperature. Too cold drinks, even from the category of useful, even more contribute to the appearance of spasmodic pain. In a cold room, the patient’s muscles also can not relax, and therefore, the pain passes more slowly.
If therapeutic treatment did not help.
If the patient has fully completed a course of antibiotic therapy and tests have shown that he has got rid of the inflammatory process in the bladder, then the pain must pass. But what if she stayed? Perhaps the inflammatory process was so strong that it caused irreversible changes in the patient’s body, and only surgery could help here.
This happens, for example, when a patient has severely narrowed urethra as a result of cystitis and the pain simply does not go away without surgery. The operation will help a person return to a normal active life and forget about the troubles that have happened to him recently. Also, surgery for pain in cystitis and after treatment may be necessary in the presence of stones in the ureter and bladder.
To the pain in the abdomen did not return
If the patient is finally feeling well, he should take better care of his health in order not to feel the unpleasant symptoms of cystitis again. By the way, immediately after recovery, the human body is weakened and relapses occur very often, and therefore there is little cause for joy here.
The main thing that a person should remember is to dress according to the weather so that it is always comfortable and warm. Hypothermia is the most common reason why cystitis pains return again and again. Underwear should be made of breathable materials, such as cotton, it should not restrain movement or overly fit. And of course, you need to remember about body hygiene. For washing intimate organs it is better not to use products with a strong odor or active ingredients, which themselves provoke a new round of illness.