It is helpful for parents to know the size of the child’s feet by age. After all, in children it is only being formed. So that in the future there will be no problems with both appearance and health, it is important to choose high-quality shoes. It will help to properly form the arch of the foot, so the choice should be treated responsibly. In too small sandals or boots, the baby simply cannot move. In too large a leg will not be securely fixed, which can lead to its wrong development. Do not buy shoes of 21 sizes per leg 10 cm, hoping to save and wear them for more than one season.
What is not recommended to do?
The task is complicated by the fact that the child cannot explain his feelings. The very little one cannot speak yet, he cannot tell whether cute boots of 21 sizes fit him or not. But the older child does not always understand how much the shoes he is trying on are pressing him. Especially if she likes him outwardly. And already on the first walk it turns out that he is uncomfortable. Since high-quality products are not cheap, you do not want to make mistakes when buying.
Trust the feelings of the child is not always worth it. But there are other mistakes that parents sometimes make when selecting. For example, they insert a finger between the heel and the back. It is unlikely that this method will give reliable information, because the kid can squeeze fingers. When he begins to walk quietly at home, it turns out that the sneakers with the insole of 12 centimeters are cramped to him.
It is not recommended to apply the foot of one year old or older karapuz to the sole of the chosen couple. Depending on the style of the length of the insole, which just matters, can be very different. If the external length is 12 cm, then the internal can be both 11 and 10. This is a very unreliable method.
Foot size at different ages
But how to choose shoes so as not to be wrong with the size? When buying a first shoe, that is, booties for newborn boys and girls, this is usually not so important. After all, the baby does not walk yet, the main thing is that they are not noticeably small to him and do not fall off their feet. But if we are talking about the first steps, then you have to pay close attention to convenience. Finding suitable sandals is not as difficult as they are, you can clearly see it on the fitting. But with shoes and shoes harder. Approximate dimensions can prompt the table.
- In children younger than three months, the foot does not exceed 9.5 cm. It is this value that should be used when choosing the first booties. The European grid defines the length as 16-17 size.
- Up to 6 months, the leg grows to 10.5 cm and 17-18 size.
- A one-year-old baby has an average foot from 11 to 12 cm, that is, 19 size.
- In 1.5 years, the leg is about 13-13.5 cm – 20 or 21 size.
- In two years – 14.5 cm and 24 size.
- At 3 years old – 15.5 cm – 25 size.
- In 3.5 years – 16 cm and 26 size.
- At 4 years old – 17 cm and 27 size.
- In 4.5 years – 17.5 cm and 28 size.
- At 5 years old – 18 cm and 29 size.
Of course, any table provides only average values. In a particular child’s leg may differ significantly from the average, and in any direction. Some children grow faster, others more slowly, it affects both growth and foot size. In addition, boys are more often larger than girls. Therefore, to determine the exact length of the foot, it must be measured.
How to measure a leg?
To select bootees intended for newborns, it is enough to measure with the help of a tape measure. If it is not at hand, you can attach a rope to the leg, mark the length and define it in centimeters with a ruler.
It is desirable to measure the child’s foot before each trip to the store. For a couple of weeks, the values may change markedly.
The legs of children who already know how to stand are measured differently. It is especially important to choose this method after a year. You need to put the baby on a sheet of cardboard and cut around the feet. Cardboard is preferable to paper, as it keeps its shape well. Having obtained the result, for example, 11 or 12 centimeters, with such a cardboard insole it is convenient to come to the store and, lowering it inside the desired pair, determine how it fits. Measurements should be done in the evening, as the leg slightly increases during the day. It is important to measure both feet, because they are often different. Then you should focus on the big one. If the fidget does not want to stand until the mother makes the necessary measurements, then you can wet his legs with water, put them on cardboard or paper and let go of your business. Determine the size obtained with the help of prints.
How fast does the foot grow?
Toddlers grow quickly, and besides, children have developmental leaps, when their height, weight and, consequently, their legs grow rapidly. Because of this, for one season you may need more than one pair of sandals or shoes. Then you can come to the store with a pair that has worn out for several months and just take a bigger size. But you need to be careful: the size of the grid may differ for different manufacturers. Some 19 have a size of 11 centimeters, others have, for example, 12. Moreover, even in different lines from the same company there are noticeable differences, therefore the general table is not always reliable.
Careful measurements are needed when buying children’s shoes in online stores. Not all of them provide the opportunity to measure and immediately change the selected pair. So you have to learn the necessary values. It should also be remembered that the smaller the child, the faster his leg grows. Up to 3 years the size changes on average every 3 months. Children’s shoes are usually enough for one season, no more. Although it happens that sandals of 21 sizes, which perfectly sat down at the beginning of summer, are already small in the middle. From 3 to 6 years, the leg usually grows to the size in 4 months, after 6 – in 5 months.
How to choose shoes?
To get a really good pair of shoes, from booties to winter boots, you should pay attention to the following recommendations.
- Shoes need to buy with a small margin, because the feet of children grow rapidly. For summer sandals a gap of 0.5-0.7 centimeters is considered acceptable. For winter boots – 1-1.5 cm, because there must be a place for a warm sock. That is, if the baby’s leg is 12 centimeters, then a winter pair should be chosen in 21 sizes, with an insole of 13.5.
- When choosing children’s shoes for the first years of life, you need to make sure that it meets the standards. She must have a small heel, you need a reliable fixation of the heel. At the same time it is better to choose the sole rather flexible. This is especially important up to 3 years.
- If the baby has grown a little, he is more than 3 years old, then it is worthwhile to involve him in the selection process. He is flattered that adults trust him.
- Matters and ties. The laces, of course, fix the leg well. But the baby will be difficult to cope with them independently. So it makes sense to give preference to velcro.
It is also worth knowing that the dimensional mesh for shoes in different countries is very different, since different systems are used. In Europe, it is a metric system, in the USA it is a stillage. Therefore, the European 21 size corresponds to the American 5.5. In England, however, has its own table, since measurements are not carried out in centimeters. On foot, 11 centimeters in domestic stores will offer footwear marked 19, in American – 4, and in English – 3.
If you know how to correctly determine the length of the foot in a baby, then the choice of bootees for newborns and other children’s shoes will not be difficult. The table will help you to choose which size to choose at 11 or 12 centimeters. Or if you liked shoes of 21 sizes, would they suit a baby?