Pain under the rib on the left side may signal a very dangerous disease. And it can be not only heart diseases, as it may seem to many. Pain in this area can give the spleen, diaphragm, heart, stomach, and even the nervous system. Therefore, it is necessary to listen to your body and determine the nature of the pain. If the discomfort in the left hypochondrium is long and intense, then immediately call a doctor.
If the pain under the rib on the left side is also accompanied by vomiting and nausea, then the cause is most likely associated with a gastrointestinal illness.
- Flatulence and constipation. These diseases can cause pain in the left side.
- Food poisoning (may also manifest through high temperature and vomiting).
- Gastritis. Symptoms: pain – intense or aching, which is also accompanied by vomiting, dizziness, bloating and weakness.
- A stomach ulcer. With this disease, pain usually occurs after eating.
The pain on the left side under the ribs may inform about the enlargement of the spleen or even its rupture. Severe pain can be caused by the following diseases:
- Trauma of the spleen (open or closed). Usually accompanied by severe pain in the hypochondrium, tachycardia, hypotension, nausea and thirst.
- Spleen infarction occurs due to blockage of the artery. In this case, the pain during inhalation becomes stronger.
- An abscess of the spleen is a collection of large amounts of pus. In such cases, the pain may be given to the left shoulder.
This body, with its part, enters the left hypochondrium region. Therefore, if it hurts on the left side under the breast, it can also be a symptom of pancreatic ailments.
- Chronic pancreatitis is characterized by dull pain.
- Acute pancreatitis is accompanied by cutting and sharp pain in the left side.
The diaphragm is the muscle that separates the abdominal cavity from the chest cavity. Pain on the left side under the ribs can signal such a serious illness as a diaphragmatic hernia. This disease occurs due to the displacement of the abdominal organs in the chest. In such cases, the discomfort becomes more intense during heavy physical exertion and during meals.
If it hurts badly on the left side under the breast, with shortness of breath and a feeling of lack of air, this indicates heart problems. In most cases, it is a question of ischemic heart disease at various stages.
- Myocardial infarction is characterized by a strong, tearing, constricting pain in the region of the heart.
- Angina pectoris In this disease, the pain is short-lived.
Other causes of pain in the left hypochondrium
- Intercostal neuralgia is formed by compression of the intercostal nerves. Accompanied by severe pains of a different nature: aching, dull, acute, paroxysmal, burning.
- Abdominal migraine is a disorder of the nervous system. One of the symptoms of this disease is pain under the rib on the left side or in the middle of the abdomen.
- Hormonal failure can also cause such pain. Basically, this symptom manifests itself during menopause in women, puberty in adolescents and in endocrine system diseases.
We have given a far from complete list of diseases, a symptom of which is pain under the rib on the left side. As you can see, the diseases can be both unserious (flatulence) and very severe (myocardial infarction). Therefore, in such cases, do not tolerate the pain, but immediately call emergency assistance.