Gas formation in the intestines is a delicate problem, which is difficult to talk with both relatives and a specialist.
Flatulence, especially among women, can cause severe discomfort, pain, shame – significantly worsen the quality of life. And also to act as a symptom of a certain disease of the stomach or intestinal tract, liver, pancreas.
In some cases, increased flatulence in women is a consequence of natural physiological changes in the body. However, the problem interferes with a normal life and requires a speedy solution.
The concept of gas
Our body always contains gas, including the organs of the digestive system. With an increase in its content of two hundred milliliters, a strong gassing activity occurs. Intestinal gas consists of oxygen, methane, hydrogen sulfide and carbon dioxide, and also includes some nitrogen. On average, more than twenty liters of gases form in the human body during the day, but most of them are resorbed by the intestinal wall.
Acidophilic bacteria present in the body quickly absorb the formed oxygen. With the help of the lungs methane and hydrogen gas is absorbed. As a result of the activity of the direct intestine, hydrogen sulfide and nitrogen are released. The unpleasant smell when gas-blowing is caused by the presence of hydrogen sulfide gas, skatole, and also indole. All of these gaseous substances are released as a result of the activity of the large intestine, as well as during the influence on the undigested remains of its microflora. Often, the accumulation of gases in the intestine forms a foam, similar to a collection of bubbles in viscous mucus.
In the case when the intestinal mucosa is covered with this foam, there is a slowdown of parietal digestion and gas resorption is stopped.
To find an effective way to treat excessive gas formation in the intestinal area, it is necessary to consider the main causes of this process. The causes of increased gas formation in women and men are:
- nature of food;
- lack of enzymes;
- violation of the bacterial environment in the colon;
- bacterial imbalance;
- frequent nervous stress.
All of these factors stimulate increased gas formation in the intestinal area. Consider these reasons in more detail.
one) Excessive ingestion of air that may occur:
- by swallowing food, talking while eating;
- when smoking;
- in inflammatory diseases of the throat, accompanied by frequent painful swallowing: pharyngitis, sore throat, adenoiditis, tonsillitis;
- in the presence of foreign bodies in the oral cavity: dentures, braces.
2) Food, contributing to increased gas. These include products containing coarse fiber and causing fermentation processes:
- lamb, beef;
- onions, tomatoes, sorrel;
- apples, pears, watermelons, grapes, gooseberries, exotic fruits;
- black bread;
- fresh milk;
- beer, kvass, carbonated drinks;
- with the gastrointestinal form of food allergy, any food may cause bloating.
3) Dysbacteriosis. Violation of the intestinal microflora leads to an increase in gaseous substances secreted by bacteria. The lack of lacto-and bifidobacteria enhances the processes of decay and fermentation of food masses in the colon.
four) Disturbance of food digestion.
- insufficient amount of digestive enzymes that come from bile and pancreatic juice: hepatitis, pancreatitis, fatty infiltration of the liver, biliary dyskinesia, cirrhosis;
- destruction of digestive enzymes in peptic ulcer, gastroduodenitis;
- age-related deterioration of the function of the digestive organs
five) Immaturity of the digestive system in infancy. In the first year of life, intestinal growth is active – its length is doubled. The processes of growth and maturation are often accompanied by disruption of the digestive tract and insufficient synthesis of enzymes.
- nursing mother’s consumption of gas-enhancing foods;
- improper attachment of the child to the chest – while he swallows a large amount of air
6) Violation of gas absorption develops when local blood circulation deteriorates, which can be caused by various pathologies:
- portal hypertension;
- ischemic colitis;
7) Mechanical obstruction in the intestine. The narrowing of the intestinal lumen disrupts the transportation and excretion of gases and feces. Intestinal obstruction may be caused by:
- abnormal intestinal structure.
eight) Peristalsis. Slowing of intestinal motility leads to the fact that gases are not excreted naturally, but accumulate in the intestine, causing bloating. Causes of impaired peristalsis:
- hormonal disorders;
- intestinal innervation;
- the predominance of protein foods, lack of fruits and vegetables in the diet;
- sedentary lifestyle.
9) Stressful situations. Stress hormones adrenaline and norepinephrine slow down intestinal motility and cause contraction of blood vessels that feed it. This violates the natural excretion and absorption of gases.
Genetic abnormalities, accompanied by inflammation of the intestine and malabsorption:
- celiac intolerance (celiac disease);
- glucose-galactose intolerance.
ten) High meteorism. A decrease in atmospheric pressure leads to an increase in the pressure of gases inside the intestine.
The accumulation of gases in the intestines leads to clear signs of flatulence, which indicates a violation of motility and bowel functions and causes unpleasant symptoms.
The main symptoms of increased gas formation include:
- abdominal pain – an increased volume of gas causes stretching of the intestinal walls, and reflex spasm with the development of pain;
- increased gassing (flatulence), accompanied by a characteristic sound and an unpleasant hydrogen sulfide odor;
- abdominal distention – an increase in abdominal volume due to accumulated gas accompanied by rumbling and intestinal colic;
- constipation or diarrhea. Increased flatulence in most cases is accompanied by similar disorders of the chair.
- stomach ache.
A patient suffering from excessive gas formation in the intestines often complains of a constant feeling of heaviness in the stomach, which naturally increases after each meal.
When the patient complains that he constantly has gases in the intestine, the doctor is obliged to exclude the presence of serious diseases, for which a comprehensive examination of the patient is carried out. It includes a physical examination, that is, listening and percussion, and instrumental methods.
Most often, an x-ray of the abdominal cavity is performed, with the help of which the presence of gases and the height of the standing of the diaphragm are detected. To assess the amount of gases used rapid introduction into the intestine of argon. At the same time, it is possible to measure the volume of intestinal gases displaced by argon. In addition, the following diagnostic methods are used:
- FEGD – examination of the gastrointestinal mucosa using a special flexible tube with lighting and a miniature camera at the end. This method allows you to take, if necessary, a piece of tissue for research, that is, to do a biopsy.
- Colonoscopy. Visual examination of the large intestine with a special device with a camera at the end.
- Coprogram. Laboratory study, analysis of feces for enzymatic insufficiency of the digestive system.
- Sowing feces. With this analysis, the presence of intestinal dysbiosis is detected and violations in the intestinal microflora are confirmed.
In chronic belching, diarrhea, and unmotivated weight loss, endoscopic examination may be indicated to exclude suspicion of intestinal cancer. Patients with frequent flatulentsii (gas) carefully studied dietary habits in order to exclude from the diet foods that cause bloating and flatulence.
If lactose deficiency is suspected, the patient is prescribed lactose tolerant tests. In some cases, the doctor may prescribe a study of the daily diet of the patient, during which the patient must, for a certain period of time, keep a record of his daily diet in a special diary.
When the patient complains that the gases in the intestines do not leave, frequent swelling and sharp pains, the doctor should conduct an examination, which prevents intestinal obstruction, ascites (fluid accumulation) or any inflammatory diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
A thorough examination, adjustment of the diet, exclusion of provoking factors causing the phenomenon of flatulence, will answer the question of why in the intestine gases are formed in excessive amounts and what measures to take to get rid of this unpleasant phenomenon.
Effects of gas
Constant meteorism provokes the occurrence of unfortunate results. Self-esteem and self-confidence is reduced, the woman is in constant stress and is aging right before our eyes. She suffers from abdominal pain, bloating, heartburn and belching. Discomfort is also caused by deviations accompanying bowel movements. Only the elimination of the underlying disease and compliance with the recommendations of the doctors will make excessive gas formation less pronounced. If the pathology is not treated, the consequences can be severe, up to the need for surgery to remove one of the intestinal sections.
Flatulence is a problem that is not customary to talk about. Many women suffer from gas formation for years, others from time to time – during the period of PMS, pregnancy, menopause. In order to eliminate discomfort and return her self-esteem to the proper level, a woman must make a detailed diagnosis, determine the cause of meteorism and undergo appropriate treatment.
How to treat increased gozo formation?
In men and women, all therapeutic treatment is aimed at eliminating pain and discomfort to the intestines and stomach.
The treatment of flatulence and gas formation in patients is reduced to the following algorithm:
- organization of diets and dietary compliance;
- treatment of provoking diseases;
- removal of gases from the lumen of the intestinal tube:
- activation of the motor function of the digestive tract:
- correction of intestinal biocenosis.
The therapeutic process with increased gas formation is always complex. When prescribing drugs, a careful study of the patient’s clinical history is recommended, possible allergies and susceptibility to certain groups of drugs are identified. Espumisan is considered to be a well-known effective drug for flatulence. With a marked decrease in peristalsis, Zeercal is used.
Among other groups of drugs note these:
- probiotics (composition with live bacteria), for example, Bifiform, Laktuvit;
- prokinetics (accelerating the passage of food in the esophagus);
- sorbents (elimination of intoxication), for example, Enterosgel, Fosfalyugel:
- enzymes (improvement of the gastrointestinal tract), for example, Pancreatin, Mezim-forte;
- defoamer drugs (help suction gas bubbles), for example, Simethicone, Dimethicone;
- laxatives (elimination of stagnant fecal masses), for example, Normase, Duphalac;
- spasms and pains (Drotaverin, No-shpa).
Diet with increased gas production
Most often, the problem of increased gas formation in the intestine can be solved by normalizing nutrition, quitting smoking and excessive alcohol consumption and including at least minimal exercise in the daily routine.
Eating foods that lead to increased gas production. We give a list of such products:
- black bread,
- kvass, carbonated drinks, beer.
The temperature of foodstuffs matters – too hot or too cold food adversely affects the mucous membranes of the esophagus, stomach and intestines. It is better to use products in boiled, stewed, baked form. Salt intake must be minimized.
Try an experiment and eliminate one of the following foods from your diet:
- fresh and sour cabbage
Depending on the result, it will be possible to understand what provokes the occurrence of an unpleasant phenomenon.
It is recommended to introduce more fermented milk products, crumbly cereals, boiled vegetables, and fruits into the diet. Meat can be consumed only in boiled form. After all the symptoms of the disease have passed, you can somewhat retreat from a strict diet, but at the same time try to follow all the recommendations of the doctor.
Traditional methods of treatment are intended to eliminate unpleasant symptoms, but are not suitable for self-treatment of the causes of increased gas formation. The best method of healing by folk methods is the combination with medication.
- Broth licorice (roots). A teaspoon of herbs is poured over 250 ml of boiling water and brought to a low flame for about 10 minutes. You can drink immediately after preparation. The portion is designed for one-time consumption.
- Peppermint. Mint decoction prevents the formation of gases. one
Methods of traditional medicine should not bring harm, therefore, if some plants seem unfamiliar and eccentric, then it is better to leave such therapy until better times. The body’s response to some herbs may be unpredictable, and their composition may affect the absorbability of drugs.
In order to avoid bloating, the following rules should be followed:
- Provide a full sleep. Chronic lack of sleep can lead to disruption of the functioning of all organs and reduce intestinal peristalsis.
- Long walks and sports. It is useful to perform physical exercises in which the abdominal muscles are involved. They normalize intestinal motility.
- Avoid severe stress.
- Stop smoking.
- Correct the meal schedule. It is necessary to adhere to 5 single meals in small portions.
- Eat moderate temperature foods.
- Desserts and fruits to use after 2-3 hours after lunch.
- Drink 1.5-2 liters of water per day to prevent constipation.
To prevent colic in newborns, a nursing mother must abandon products that provoke flatulence. To improve the intestinal peristalsis in a child by using massage. It is recommended to perform it before each feeding. The baby should be massaged in a clockwise circular motion. After feeding the child should be kept upright for 10 minutes. It is also recommended as little as possible to give the baby suck pacifiers.
So far, only 1 comment
It is very important to remove nervous stress if this problem bothers !! Otherwise, you will suffer. He worked at a construction site in a responsible position, the head of the site. Nothing helped until he became more relaxed about all this responsibility, relax, go to a psychotherapist. But this, too, was not enough, although it became much better. I finally solved the problem when I started taking Orlix pills, so they finally removed all the symptoms to me.