Pain in the tailbone is an unpleasant problem that disrupts our normal life. She has a lot of reasons and she can appear at any age.
The most common cause of pain in the tailbone is injury.
Let’s see why the tailbone can hurt, whether it is possible to diagnose the cause of the pain yourself and how to weaken it at home.
Strictly speaking, the tailbone is an atavism, that is, an organ that we inherited from distant ancestors and currently does not carry any functions in the body. It, just like an appendix, can only cause discomfort or even pain. Why does the tailbone hurt when sitting and getting up from the place where the pain in the tailbone comes from and how can you deal with it?
Pain in tailbone when sitting or starting to get up
People who complain of pain in the tailbone usually have the following symptoms:
- The pain increases if you create pressure (load) on the lower back.
- The more you sit – the more pain in the tailbone becomes.
- If you stand up sharply, the sensations acquire the character of a “shooting”, sharp pain.
- Before a bowel movement the pain intensifies, after it it subsides.
In most cases, the pain in the coccyx is non-permanent in nature: the pain suddenly arises and then just as suddenly disappears when the body position changes. In some patients, on the contrary, aching pain in the tailbone is constantly present. In these cases it is difficult to determine the place of pain: it can affect the organs of the perineum or buttocks.
Causes of coccyge pain when rising
Experts point out several possible reasons why the tailbone can hurt after sitting when you get up.
- There is some inflammation in the pelvic organs;
- For a long time a person spends in a sitting position in an uncomfortable position, with time this can lead to injury to the coccyx;
- Actually, any injury (for example, a tailbone injury);
- There are changes in the bones of the pelvis (age or at the last stage of pregnancy);
- Various tumors;
- Infectious diseases;
- And you can not believe it – a bad habit to sit on the toilet for a long time!
a) a tailbone fracture; b) the tailbone offset
How doctors distinguish one pain in the tailbone from another
If you are not pregnant and do not sit in the toilet for hours, just remember that you have not fallen anywhere, but your tailbone still hurts – this may have several explanations. And to understand what to do if the tailbone hurts can be in several ways. Experts in their own way classify the soreness in the tailbone.
Coccygodynia – this incomprehensible word denotes those types of pain in the coccyx that are caused by injuries, even if a lot of time has passed since the moment of the injury itself, and the pain appeared only now. It is the diagnosis of coccygodynia that is the most “popular” among hospital patients.
Perianal pain syndrome (otherwise, anorectal pain or pseudococigodia) is characterized by a sensation of pain in the rectum. It is with this diagnosis that a person believes that he has a sore tailbone, although this is not the case.
Anokopchikovy pain syndrome – This is a general concept, which includes the previous two
For example, perianal pain syndrome is detected after the organic causes of pain in the coccyx are identified. That is, you will be asked to pass tests with a urologist and a proctologist.
Hemorrhoids, anal fissure, parapractite or lumbar sciatica can also cause pain in the coccyx. And, therefore, it is necessary to treat not the tailbone, but the disease, the presence of which will be confirmed by tests.
If the tests are negative, it means that you have anokopchikovy pain syndrome.
Sore tailbone during pregnancy
Pregnant women during the entire period of carrying a child have to experience a lot of discomfort and pain. Do not become an exception and pain in the tailbone.
Light massage of the sacral area, swimming in the pool and exercises relieve pain in the coccyx during pregnancy.
Causes of coccyx pain in pregnant women:
- In the last stages of pregnancy, the pelvic bones expand. The tailbone, respectively, due to this movement, is forced to move a little bit backwards. This can not cause pain;
- If the child is very large (or twins), then the size of the fetus sometimes pinch the nerves of the coccyx, which also leads to severe pain in this area;
- The size of the uterus stretches the bones of the sacrum and the coccyx, lengthens the ligaments and tendons in these places, which is associated with pain;
You may be interested in: Toxicosis during pregnancy
Women after childbirth almost always experience painful symptoms in the lumbar region and tailbone. This is due to the fact that before and during childbirth, the bones of the pelvis, sacrum, tailbone dilate, muscles and ligaments tighten. Usually, the pain in the coccyx disappears one month after delivery.
“In the event that the pain is very severe, a fracture of the coccyx during labor is possible. You should immediately consult a traumatologist.
What to do if your tailbone hurts
Prevention of pain in the coccyx is reduced to performing simple exercises that anyone can do at home or at work.
Prevention of coccyx pain:
- Limit sitting time on uncomfortable and hard surfaces. In case this is not possible – place a soft lining on the seat so that the stay in a sitting position is as comfortable as possible for you.
- Start doing exercises for the spine (stretching exercises, bending, etc., it is very useful to just hang on the turnstile).
- Massage every evening in the lumbar region and tailbone. You can ask your relatives for this.
- Treat proctologic or urological diseases, if they were identified by a specialist.
Usually, doctors prescribe a comprehensive treatment of the coccyx pain:
- UHF – irradiation of the site of pain with electromagnetic waves;
- Physiotherapy effects;
- Rectal procedures;
- The impact of dynamic currents.
There are, of course, in the practice of doctors and such cases when the prescribed treatment does not have a beneficial effect on the tailbone. Then the traumatologist can refer the patient to an operation to remove the coccyx, which is called coccygectomy.
A tailbone injury may pass unnoticed, and pain will manifest itself after months or even years. At first, feeling pain in the tailbone when standing up, it may simply be enough to change the chair to a softer and more comfortable one. If the pain subsides, and then reappears, it is better to immediately consult a traumatologist.
And yet – do not be greedy and share on social networks! This is the best thanks for us …