Epigastric area: where is it located? Such a question always arises out of place: when a person has a stomach ache.
It was then that there is a need to go to the doctor, and without a description of their sensations and their localization is not enough.
In order to properly convey your complaints and help the doctor make the correct diagnosis, we learn more about the epigastric region: what it is, where it is, and what causes pain in this area of the abdomen.
Epigastric region: features of topography
Regio epigastrica or epigastrum is one of the 9 conditional divisions that the abdomen is divided into.
Click on the photo to enlarge
To make it easier for clinicians to navigate, it is divided by 2 horizontal lines into 3 sections:
The epigastric region is also called the epigastric or simply the epigastric. As an option, use the name epigastric zone. Its localization: the space between the xiphoid process and the last ribs.
It has the shape of a triangle with equal angles. In the epigastric region is located the solar plexus – a site with a high concentration of nerve fibers.
Why do epigaster pains occur?
In the epigastric and hypogastric zone of pain there are various kinds and intensities.
Light pain observed after a meal, more pronounced may occur spontaneously and radiating to the chest, scapula, neck.
They are caused by inflammatory diseases of the digestive tract and not only.
- Scorching and tingling in the epigastric region indicate a gastric ulcer, a hernia, or the presence of stones in the gallbladder.
- Joining heartburn indicates reflux disease.
- The feeling of heaviness in the abdomen is manifested during pregnancy. Fluctuations in the hormonal background affect the state of the digestive tract: the digestive process slows down, the pressure in the abdominal cavity gradually increases. Women have problems with bowel movement.
The most common causes of discomfort in the epigastric region are pathology of the gastrointestinal tract:
- inflammation of appendicitis and its complications;
- ulcerative conditions (perforation, internal bleeding).
It happens that the pain in the epigastal region is associated not only with diseases of the digestive tract.
It is also diagnosed when:
- myocardial infarction;
- angina pectoris;
- asthma (when chronic cough is observed);
- side effects after taking medication;
to content ↑
Characteristic of pain
Epigastric pain is the most common complaint with which the patient comes to the doctor.
Know exactly what area of the abdomen hurts you, and what is the pain by nature – It is important to correctly present your feelings to a specialist.
- Irritable bowel syndrome is always prolonged discomfort in the epigastric region. It is combined with bloating and problems with defecation (the color and consistency of feces change).
- Ulcers of the gastrointestinal tract are accompanied by severe pain. Epigastric pain acute, dagger. Their strengthening is observed in case of non-compliance with dietary recommendations. Symptoms appear at night. Dagger pain is a sign that ulcer perforation has occurred.
- With inflammation of the gastric mucosa, the pain worries dull and aching. She constantly brings trouble to the patient. Its intensity increases after eating. The same pathological “pattern” is observed in a malignant tumor of the stomach. When this occurs, the seal of the liver, loss of body weight.
- When inflammation of the pancreas is present ring spastic pain, extending into the back.
- For pathologies of the gallbladder is characterized by stabbing local pain in the epigaster. It is constant, accompanied by vomiting.
- Cardiovascular diseases, such as rupture of an aortic aneurysm, also occur with pain in the epigastric abdomen. The patient has a sharp pressing pain extending to the lower back and groin area. In this case, a cardiac collapse can occur, which leads to death in minutes.
Other symptoms in the epigastric region
In addition to the pain of various kinds in the epigastrium are present other pathological signs characteristic of a particular disease.
Thanks to the following symptoms, the doctor makes a reliable diagnosis:
- When inflammation of the gastric mucosa, gastric ulcer and 12 duodenal ulcer patient worries not only pain. Nausea and insurmountable discomfort in the epigastric region on an empty stomach – symptoms that occur in these diseases.
- Pallor of the skin, slow pulse and loss of consciousness – all this is observed with perforating ulcer. The patient has a tension in the abdominal muscles. Internal bleeding is fatal, so immediate medical attention is required in this condition.
- Pain goes to no with bleeding ulcers. However, there are other disturbing symptoms: vomiting with blood, black feces (also with blood), severe weakness and blanching of the skin.
- Malignant tumors of the digestive tract for a long time does not manifest itself. Over time, a person’s performance and appetite decreases. He is losing weight intensely. His constant companions become high temperature and sweating.
- With stones in the gall bladder, the severity of the mesogastric area is diagnosed. She is accompanied by pain, the intensity of which increases with coughing. Spasms are determined in the hypochondrium on the right. Joined yellowness of the skin.
- Inflammations in the pancreas are accompanied by unpleasant sensations of the shingles. The patient often complains of constipation and the absence of the usual rumbling in the stomach.
to content ↑
How are pathologies associated with epigastrium diagnosed?
In addition to collecting historical data and palpation of the epigastric region, the diagnosis includes:
- Definition of ESR. Budget method for the determination of inflammation in the body.
- Analysis of biological material (urine). It detects infection of the urinary tract.
- Endoscopic examination. It establishes the presence of cones of malignant origin in the esophagus, stomach. Possible to take material for biopsy.
- Ultrasound procedure.
- X-ray. With it, it detects gas in the abdominal cavity.
- ECG. The method fixes heart problems that cause discomfort in the epigastric region.
Treatment and Prevention Options
Treatment of pain in the epigastric region is symptomatic. but For an effective and prolonged therapeutic result, a thorough diagnosis of the problem must be carried out.
You can protect yourself from unpleasant feelings in the epigastric region if:
- drink less water with gas and coffee, alcohol-containing beverages;
- try not to overeat;
- minimize the consumption of offal;
- after meals to do a little physical work;
- reliably relive food, do not swallow it lumps.
to content ↑
Video – epigastric pain
Epigastric pain is a serious reason to think about your health and schedule a visit to the doctor. Without the help of the latter, it will be problematic to understand what exactly the cause (pathological or not) provoked the appearance of discomfort in the stomach.