The tonsils (tonsils) is an important part of the immune system, an organ that helps fight viruses, infections, and the spread of pathogens.
The main task of the glands is to identify the infection in time, to develop antimatter to combat pathogenic microorganisms.. Acting as a barrier, often the tonsils in humans swell, because they are the first to take the blow.
What to do if the glands are swollen, how to treat them at home in order to recover quickly?
Enlarged glands with painful sensations
If a person is sick to swallow, his tonsils are swollen, then it can speak about such diseases as:
- acute tonsillitis;
- pharyngeal abscess.
Symptoms are typical for tonsillitis: fever up to 40 degrees, difficulty swallowing, sudden chills, weakness, indisposition.
With pharyngitis (inflammation of the posterior pharyngeal wall), a runny nose, cough, redness of the tonsils, general malaise, temperature rise up to 39 degrees is observed.
Acute tonsillitis is characterized by redness of the tonsils, the appearance of a purulent plaque, an increase in the cervical lymph nodes, and a fever.
When the pharyngeal abscess, the patient complains of nasal voices, hoarseness, shortness of breath, blue skin, swelling of the neck, choking attacks.
Angina – inflammation of the tonsils
Treatment of swollen tonsils at home
In order to calm the diseased tonsils, relieve swelling, it is necessary to disinfect and soothe the irritated surface.
For this purpose you can resort to help:
- warming up;
- drinking medicinal fluids.
If you have a sore throat, then you need to treat it in a complex. To do this, be sure to take the drugs prescribed by the doctor, apply traditional medicine, if necessary, resort to using physiotherapy.
This method of treating swollen gland is resorted to in the event of a diagnosis of sore throat, pharyngitis or laryngitis. The rinsing process soothes inflamed tonsils, helps to remove purulent plugs, swelling, and pain.
For rinsing these recipes are suitable:
- Furacilin Solution. Dissolve 1 tablet in a glass of warm water. Gargle for 3 times a day.
- Iodine solution. Add 3 drops of iodine to a glass of water. Rinse every 40 minutes.
- Apple vinegar. Mix 1 tbsp. l vinegar in a glass of water. Gargle with this remedy up to 5 times a day.
- Honey with lemon juice. Take 1 tbsp. l liquid honey, dilute it with freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 tbsp. l.). Dilute the mixture with a small amount of water, rinse 3 times a day.
This method of treating swollen tonsils is permissible only if the disease is not accompanied by fever.
Hot steam warms up the throat perfectly, drugs penetrate deep into the throat, affect the site of infection. As a result, not only pain passes, but also swelling of the tonsils is eliminated.
Recipes for medicinal solutions for inhalation:
- Boil the potatoes in the uniform, Do not drain the water, drop 5 drops of turpentine there. Bend over the hot steam, cover your head with a towel, breathe for 5 minutes. After 3 treatments, the tonsils will become normal in size.
- In hot water (500 ml) add 2 tsp. propolis tincture. Inhalation with this solution 3 times a day.
- Mix in equal quantities grass oregano, chamomile, calendula. Take 2 tbsp. l collection, pour boiling water (500 ml), allow to cool slightly. To conduct inhalation 4 times a day.
- In a boiling kettle (0.5 liters of water) add 10 drops of eucalyptus oil, 5 drops of anise oil. Breathe over the steam for 10 minutes, 2 times a day.
- Peel the garlic, grind it grated or squeeze through the garlic. Pour boiling water over gruel (0.5 liters), add 1 tsp. soda Make inhalation, repeat 3 times a day.
Inhalation helps to quickly remove the swelling of the tonsils, destroy the pathogens of the disease, moisturize the mucous membrane, suppress inflammation in the pharynx, as well as enhance local immunity.
You do not know what to do if the glands are swollen? Try to warm up the throat. Just be careful: often this method of treating inflamed tonsils can provoke the spread of the inflammatory process to other parts of the pharynx and even internal organs.
It is necessary to resort to warming up only after approval of the doctor.
However, it is thanks to this method of therapy that you can quickly reduce swelling and relieve sore throat. For warming up use such methods:
- in a clean cloth wrap the warm sea salt. Attach the pouch to the throat in the glands;
- warming the whole body: steam your feet in hot water with the addition of sea salt or mustard powder;
- wrapping the throat with a warm scarf, in parallel with this putting on woolen socks on the legs.
In order to quickly remove swelling of the tonsils, it is necessary to disinfect and soothe the irritated throat. To this end, it is useful to ingest honey, onion, garlic, ginger, propolis.
Compresses can quickly deal with swollen glands:
- brew sage (2 tablespoons of herbs per 150 ml of boiling water), moisten a piece of cloth in it. Squeeze it and attach to the throat. Fasten the compress with cling film, just wrap it around the throat, put a warm scarf on top;
- Dilute medical alcohol in warm water at a ratio of 1: 3. Dip a cloth or gauze into the solution, attach it to the throat, warm it;
- dissolve the honey in the water bath so that it becomes liquid. Attach a honey compress to your throat. Honey will quickly stop the inflammatory process, remove puffiness;
- white cabbage leaf beat off with a hammer, attach to the throat, wrap a scarf around his neck.
Keep compresses need all night.
If the throat hurts, the puffiness does not pass after home treatment within a week, then this is a reason to turn to Laura. After a thorough examination, the appointment of laboratory tests specialist should appoint an intensive care course.
Most often, the tonsils swell as a result of the penetration of pathogens into the pharynx. To get them out as soon as possible you need to take a lot of fluids:
- warm milk;
- tea with lemon or raspberry jam;
- decoctions of medicinal herbs: chamomile, mint, sage, rosehip. You need to drink at least 2 liters a day. This will help to quickly remove the swelling;
- warm fruit drinks, juices, compotes.
Unilateral inflammation of the tonsils
What if the gland is swollen on one side and what does it mean?
Unilateral inflammation of the tonsil is not uncommon, and an indicator that the infection is still in a small part of the larynx, the human immune system does not allow it to spread further.
The amygdala on the one hand can swell in diseases such as flu, pharyngitis, laryngitis, tonsillitis.
Also, such an unpleasant phenomenon can happen to a person who received a mechanical injury, for example, a bone from a fish is stuck in the lymphoid tissue.
Sore glands without pain
If the throat does not hurt, but the tonsils are swollen, then this means that the patient has either chronic tonsillitis or a fungal infection of the tonsils.
Symptoms of chronic tonsillitis:
- enlarged tonsils, friable glandular structure;
- swelling of the palatine arches;
- the appearance of traffic jams – white clusters, pus with an unpleasant odor.
If there are swollen glands in a child without pain, then, as a rule, his neck and lymph nodes increase, the temperature may slightly rise, his voice changes. Also, the child may begin problems with breathing and swallowing, he begins to get sick often.
People suffering from chronic tonsillitis often have weakness, drowsiness, fatigue, and low performance.
Treatment of chronic tonsillitis at home is aimed at the use of immunostimulatory drugs, vitamins, local antiseptics in the form of gargles:
- to mix in equal quantity such plants (in a dry form): chamomile flowers, calendula, linden, licorice root, elecampane, sage, wild rosemary grass, eucalyptus leaves. Pour 1 tbsp. l Collect boiling water (200 ml), boil for 5 minutes, allow to infuse. Use the infusion to rinse or take it inside of 1 tbsp. l 3 times a day;
- dilute 1 tsp. baking soda in a glass of warm boiled water. Soda creates an alkaline environment, unpleasant for bacteria, viruses, and also fungi. Rinse every hour;
- boil 200 ml of water, pour into boiling water 1 tbsp. l pharmaceutical chamomile, keep on low heat for 20 minutes. Then give the broth to insist. Gargle up to 8 times a day. Chamomile restores mucous membrane, contributes to the rapid subsiding of the inflammatory process;
- dilute 1 tsp. salt in a glass of warm water. Rinse during the day. Very often, rinsing with salt alternates with rinsing soda. You can also connect these components.
During rinsing, pathogenic microbes are washed out of the gaps of the tonsils.
Speaking about the fungal infection of the tonsils (mycosis of the larynx), one should first accurately determine the disease. Many doctors often confuse a fungal infection with a bacterial or viral one.
For the correct diagnosis, the patient must pass laboratory tests (tank-seeding from the throat).
Symptoms of fungal tonsil disease:
- feeling of dry mouth;
- sore throat;
- the appearance of cheesy plaque on the mucous.
An enlarged gland with fungal infection usually passes without fever.
Treatment of mycosis of the larynx is carried out with the obligatory use of antifungal agents, for example, the tablets Nystatin, Fluconazole, Clotrimazole, etc. With regard to local treatment, local antiseptics are used to eliminate the swelling of the tonsils.
Gargles are performed by applying solutions such as Chlorhexidine, Miramistin. They wash the inflamed glands, have an antiseptic effect.
Other causes of gland disease
Tonsils can also swell as a result of mechanical irritation of the mucous membranes. This is due to:
- Smoking. Tobacco smoke burns mucous membranes, as a result of this, tonsils can become swollen.
- Inhalation of dry air. Because of the dry air, sometimes the mucous membrane of the larynx dries out, resulting in discomfort, swelling of the tonsils.
- Effects on the mucosa of toxic substances – household chemicals, chemicals.
- Allergies. Swelling of the tonsils is often observed in people suffering from allergies. Animal hair, pollen, dust – all this serves as a provocateur for the appearance of unpleasant sensations, inflammatory processes in the tonsils.
In order for the tonsils to no longer swell, not to blush and not to hurt, you need to follow these recommendations:
- Increase the body’s defenses: lead a healthy lifestyle, temper, eat right, give up bad habits, play sports, do daily exercises.
- Avoid provoking factors: do not overcool, dress according to the weather, do not drink cold drinks, ice cream, humidify the air in the room.
- Timely treat chronic diseases: sinusitis, runny nose, caries.
- Autumn and winter carry out preventive gargling.
Before treating swollen glands, it is necessary to establish the cause of the problem. Otherwise, it may worsen again, complications will appear and then, perhaps, even surgery will be required.
At home, to remove swelling, inflammation of the tonsils will help such techniques as rinsing, inhalation, warming the throat, compresses.