About how to put an enema, everyone should know. Enema is a fairly common medical procedure, the purpose of which is to cleanse the intestines. During this procedure, the introduction of special medicinal solutions or herbal decoctions, water through the rectum with the help of special medical tools (Esmarch circle, syringe).
Indications for putting an enema can be very different. Enema put in the following cases:
- preparation of the intestine for instrumental examination (endoscopy, x-rays, CT and other research methods);
- preparation for childbirth (immediately before the onset of labor);
- food poisoning and other types of intoxication;
- constipation in which drugs do not have the desired effect;
- fecal blockage;
- preparation for various types of surgery;
- as a method of introducing into the body of certain forms of drugs.
Types of enemas and its implementation at home
In order to put an enema, it is not necessary to contact a medical institution, since this procedure, although it requires compliance with certain rules and skills, is, nevertheless, no difficulty for self-fulfillment. It is very important to put an enema correctly, as a violation of the manipulation technique, an excessively large amount of injected fluid, or the presence of contraindications in a particular situation can cause many complications.
To carry out such a delicate procedure at home is possible only if you are sure that it will not cause additional harm, especially if it concerns a child.
At home, you can give yourself an enema in several ways. This may be a microclyster with an oil solution (to resolve the problem of lack of defecation for several days) or the standard cleansing enema based on pure boiled water or herbal decoction. Each of these types of enemas has its own characteristics.
Statement of oil microclysters
Oil enema is a type of microclysters, which is used for soft cleaning of different parts of the intestine. The main indication is a prolonged absence of stool. (constipation) or difficult discharge of feces (incomplete, too hard consistency). The oil solution has a soft enveloping, relaxing and antispasmodic effect on the intestines and its contents, which facilitates the discharge of fecal masses.
Such enemas do not have an instant effect: the onset of the desired effect can vary from 4 to 12 hours. The volume of oil content can be 20-100 ml, and the temperature of the injected solution should usually be 36 0 -38 0 С. This procedure is carried out using a small volume syringe, and vegetable oils can be used for the solution.
Stages of the manipulation
It’s quite difficult to put an enema at home correctly. To carry out a standard cleansing enema, you must use an Esmarch mug, since the volume of fluid injected is from 1l to 3l. Acts as a fluid ordinary boiled water (temperature 30-36 degrees) or herbal decoction. Also be sure to need liquid paraffin or fat cream for lubricating the tip.
The procedure includes the following steps:
- First of all, you need to determine the posture that will be most convenient for putting an enema: lying on your side, knee-elbow, if the manipulation is carried out independently – it is better to choose a pose lying on your back with a raised pelvis and bent legs.
- Before starting the procedure, it is necessary to sterilize the tools (boil) and make sure that the tip is not damaged.
- The tip of the Esmarch cup should be lubricated with cream or liquid paraffin.
- Next, the tip is inserted through the anus into the rectum by 7-10 cm.
- After the tip is inserted, it is necessary to open the faucet on the mug tube (or, if the procedure is performed with a pear, squeeze it to enter the solution).
- Raise the Esmarch cup approximately one meter above the pelvic area and fix it in this position.
- After pouring all the available solution into the intestine, it is necessary to breathe deeply, carrying out respiratory movements with the front wall of the abdomen, and it is also easy to massage the abdomen with your hand.
- If you are lying on your back or on your side, you can turn your belly down and take a knee-elbow position (this way the solution will better fill the intestinal sections).
- The waiting period before defecation is 10-15 minutes.
Features and contraindications
It is best to consult with your pediatrician about how to properly put an enema on a child, as there are a large number of features, both anatomical and age-related.
Before you do an enema, make sure that you do not have contraindications for this manipulation.
The most pronounced of these include:
- the presence of bleeding from the rectal cavity;
- hemorrhoidal bleeding, cracks;
- the presence of acute and chronic inflammatory conditions in the intestine, ulcerative processes, neoplasms;
- the presence of pain in the intestines of the cutting or piercing nature;
- anal fissures.
If there are these diseases, the procedure is recommended in a medical hospital. This manipulation has its own characteristics, one of which – the frequency of. In general, the frequency depends on the purpose of the enema: if it is a cleansing procedure, then until the bowels are completely cleansed, and then no more than once a week. If the goal is medication, the quantity is determined by the attending physician.
In any case, it is best to conduct such events in minimal quantities and only according to the required indications.
With the abuse (most often for the purpose of losing weight, with diets) there is such a serious complication as dysbacteriosis – a condition in which the normal intestinal microflora is disturbed. This can lead to impaired defecation and weakening of the overall immunity of the body.
Found a bug? Select it and press Ctrl + Enter