The human pulse is one of the easiest to diagnose and is quite informative in obtaining information about the state of the cardiovascular system. By determining the pulse, its frequency and the degree of filling of the artery, which are directly related to the cardiac cycle, are evaluated. Accordingly, a decrease in pulse indicates a change in the heart system and possibly some pathology manifested by bradycardia.
Understand the causes of low heart rate
Bradycardia is a term that characterizes the slowing of the heart rate. In a healthy person, the average value when measuring the pulse is 60 – 90 beats per minute . With a decrease in the activity of the heart, the heart rate decreases.
A little useful low pulse video
The etiology of a rare pulse is different. There are physiological mechanisms of this condition. The most frequent is morning bradycardia. During the night, the body is completely relaxed, and when awakening from sleep, this state is normal.
- Hypothermia Bradycardia is a compensatory mechanism of hypothermia, since the body needs less oxygen intake.
- Physiologically rare pulse.In some cases, healthy individuals without comorbidities have a rare pulse. This is due to hereditary factors.
- Professional sport. Long and grueling workouts make the heart muscle work in an elevated mode. At rest, muscle relaxation occurs and bradycardia occurs.
- Pregnancy.In a state of pregnancy, a decrease in the pulse rate may occur, due to the compression of the inferior vena cava by the fetus. This usually occurs in late terms. But you should still go to a specialist, in order to avoid unforeseen situations.
The next group of causes is based on the pathology of the heart.
- Atherosclerosis of the coronary vessels of the heart, which subsequently leads to coronary heart disease
- Scarring, formed after myocardial infarction
- Myocarditisdifferent etiology
- Sick sinus syndrome. This symptom occurs if the pacemaker is affected.
- Myocardial dystrophy
- Congenital anatomical changes of the heart
Possible causes of this condition are conditions of the body that are not related to the heart.
- In case of poisoning with organophosphate compounds, lead.
- Intoxication with hepatitis, sepsis, uremia, typhoid fever.
- Hypothyroidism is a disease of the thyroid gland, in which all types of metabolism are reduced.
- Elevated blood calcium levels, referred to as hypercalcemia
- Increased intracranial pressure. Occurs with brain tumors, meningitis, stroke and swelling of the brain.
What is the cunning of a rare pulse?
Manifestations of bradycardia, in many cases, do not have a sufficient basis for danger. Especially if there are physiological prerequisites for its occurrence.
However, it is not always so safe! You can talk about danger when there are clinical manifestations: frequent dizziness, fainting, headaches, the appearance of general weakness and fatigue, nausea and even vomiting are also possible.
With the sudden occurrence of bradycardia and the manifestation of the above symptoms should be alerted!
If the pulse rate falls below the threshold value of the norm and, for example, is equal to 50-40 beats per minute, then this indicates a malfunction of the heart muscle. This is a direct indication for treatment at the clinic. A pulse below 40 beats per minute can trigger cardiac arrest!
We provide first aid with a low heartbeat.
When providing first aid to a person with bradycardia, first you need to determine the complaints, determine the pulse and measure blood pressure.
1. Rare pulse with normal blood pressure
Pulse reduction can be caused by an overdose of drugs: beta-blockers, cardiac glycosides. In very rare cases, arrhythmic shock may occur, which directly threatens a person’s life.
Emergency help is administered antiarrhythmic drugs:
- novocainamide – 5-10 ml of 105 intravenous solution;
- Panangin – 10-20 ml or potassium chloride 2-3 g intravenously in 100 ml of glucose with 10 IU of insulin;
- lidocaine 0, 2 g intravenously.
If the drug treatment did not bring the desired results, use electropulse therapy and electrical stimulation of the heart.
2. Rare pulse at high pressure
High pressure is considered more than 140/90.
It is worth using the group of alpha-blockers, ACE inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers. After adjusting blood pressure, you should consult a doctor, because the use of drugs for the treatment of bradycardia is not desirable. This can lead to a sharp increase in pressure!
3. Rare pulse with reduced blood pressure
The easiest and most effective way to drink strong tea or coffee. Caffeine contained causes heart muscle to contract more often. If there is a prescription about the drugs caffeine, izadrina or axofena, then perhaps their use. Without a medical prescription, they cannot be used to prevent the development of acute hypertension.
When do I need to see a doctor for treatment?
Find out what the causes of this pathology is impossible without the participation of a specialist. Therefore, even if symptomatically rare pulse does not manifest itself, but still managed to fix it, you should consult a doctor – a cardiologist. And even more, if the constant companion of life are fatigue, weakness, dizziness and loss of consciousness, there is no need to hesitate and it is necessary to undergo a full examination in the clinic and get adequate treatment.
The effectiveness of the applied treatment will depend on the timing of treatment to the doctor. Earlier treatment can prevent further changes in cardiac activity, as well as detect and eliminate pathology from other organs and body systems.
Priority tests and diagnostics with low pulse
The correct diagnosis will be made after a series of studies.
- General clinical and biochemical blood test
- Thyroid hormone test, to eliminate or confirm the diagnosis of hypothyroidism
- ECG and its analysis
- Daily ECG monitoring
- Independent control of heart rhythm and its systematic communication by phone to doctors.
- Keeping a log of observed symptoms during the day
- Stress test. Represents an ECG during physical activity
- Electrophysiological study
- Coronary angiography