To diagnose the presence of Giardia can be on certain symptoms. As a result of parasitism lamblia in the body, a decrease in immunity is observed. At first, the changes are not too noticeable, they can be confused with signs of a usual malaise, but the condition worsens over time. To prevent this, it is important to know the symptoms of Giardia in the early stages of infection.
Lamblia – a genus of flagellate protists from the order diplomonad
What is Giardia
Giardia – unicellular worms that have microscopic dimensions. They are parasitic in the intestine, duodenum, in the gallbladder. Especially dangerous are Giardia in the liver. These parasites inhabit the body in humans, mammals.
There are 2 forms of lamblia existence:
- Vegetative – flat parasites pear-shaped, the dimensions of which do not exceed 0.02 mm. In this form, they are parasitic in the small intestine and other digestive organs. Worms actively move with the help of flagella, feed on the remnants of split foods and multiply.
- Cysts is a spore form in which the active activity of the parasites is suspended. It is necessary to preserve the life of worms in adverse conditions for a long time. The vegetative form turns into a cyst when the helminths enter the large intestine, from where they are excreted into the external environment. Outside the body in encapsulated form, they live for months until they enter the body of a new carrier.
Despite their small size, these worms cause great harm to health. The result of their parasitism are:
To parasites out, you only need to drink on an empty stomach.
- Violation of the process of assimilation of nutrients.
- The waste products of lamblia negatively affect the work of the endocrine as well as the nervous system.
- The cardiovascular system suffers as the parasites affect the composition of the blood.
- Often there are dermatological diseases.
- The risk of developing asthma increases.
- Immunity decreases.
- Weight loss due to poor appetite.
Giardia in human liver
Giardia infestation occurs when cysts enter the body through the mouth. This can happen in 3 ways:
- Water – when used boiled tap water or from natural sources.
- Food – through unwashed or unprocessed thermally products, in particular, fruits, vegetables.
- Contact-household – contact with a person or an animal suffering from giardiasis, objects on which there were cysts.
For the development of the disease, it is enough that 10 cysts get into the body. People with low acidity of the stomach are especially susceptible to infection.
Common signs and symptoms of Giardia
IT IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW! Means for getting rid of parasites, which acts immediately. Read more
Giardiasis violates the digestive processes, which negatively affects the state as a whole. The first symptoms of the disease appear after infection after 1-2 weeks, when the parasites begin to multiply actively and their number increases rapidly. A common symptom of invasion is weight loss. Others – depend on the form of the disease. It is acute and chronic.
Headache may signal the appearance of Giardia
Symptoms of acute giardiasis
The acute form of the disease usually lasts 5–7 days, but may last for months. It manifests itself with such symptoms:
- increased fatigue, irritability;
- stool disorders (constipation, diarrhea), flatulence;
- nausea, vomiting possible;
- a sharp rise in temperature to 38 ° С;
- abdominal pain localized in the navel;
- loss of appetite, feeling of glut;
- rapid weight loss;
- appearance of skin rashes.
Children are more likely to suffer from the acute form of the disease.
Symptoms of chronic Giardiasis
If you do not start treatment, giardiasis becomes chronic. It manifests itself in constant relapses of infection. Its main features:
- violations of the gastrointestinal tract – bloating, constipation or diarrhea, flatulence;
- deterioration of skin color, uneven color, excessive pallor of the face;
- rash on the tongue;
- allergic reactions, dermatitis;
- excessive dryness and flaking of the rim of the lips;
- depletion of the nervous system, nervousness, asthenia;
- pathologies of the biliary tract, bile stasis;
Chronic giardiasis accompanied by acute abdominal pain
Some people may be carriers of Giardia. In such cases, their health does not deteriorate, but for others they are a source of infection.
Symptoms of Giardia in children
Any parasites can be expelled at home. Just do not forget to drink once a day.
Giardiasis is especially dangerous for children, most often suffering from this disease. It is more difficult than in adults, and has a detrimental effect on health. The most characteristic symptoms of affection in children:
- lag in physical and intellectual development, since the body does not receive the necessary micronutrients and vitamins;
- refusal to eat;
- rapid exhaustion;
- fever up to 37.5 ° C without other symptoms of a cold that lasts for weeks;
- persistent diarrhea or constipation;
- teeth grinding during sleep;
- pulling or cutting pains in the abdomen;
- constant lethargy, low tone;
- enlarged lymph nodes;
- choking cough.
Lyabmalia in the body lead to a deterioration of health
The manifestation of each individual symptom may signal the development of other diseases. But it is better to undergo a diagnosis in order to exclude invasion by Giardia.
Diagnosis: tests on Giardia
In order to confirm giardiasis, it is imperative to conduct a laboratory analysis. To do this, take samples of feces, blood or duodenal contents from the duodenum.
Features of carrying out different types of analyzes:
- Serological diagnosis – during its implementation, it is possible to detect in the blood specific antibodies produced in response to Giardia infestation.
- Coprological diagnostics – examination under the microscope of the contents of feces. When giardiasis, they almost always contain a large number of cysts. The accuracy of the study is 50–70%. To exclude the likelihood of illness, it is recommended to carry out the analysis 3 or 4 times, after sustaining a break of several days.
- Duodenal diagnosis – a study of bile for the presence of cysts. The procedure is prescribed for adults and for children over 10 years old.
- Interotest – a person swallows a capsule, which contains a nylon thread. After the gelatin shell is dissolved inside the intestine, the thread remains. It is attacked by parasites. After exit the thread is examined under a microscope.
To get a 100% result, it is desirable to conduct several types of analyzes.
Serological analysis of blood
The treatment scheme for giardiasis
To cleanse the internal organs of Giardia you need to go through 3 stages of treatment:
- Activation of the enzymatic activity of the intestine, harmonization of metabolic and immunological processes. At the preparatory stage, you need to minimize the consumption of carbohydrates. In addition, cholagogue preparations, enterosorbents, cholespasmolics and enzymes are prescribed. The stage lasts for 2–4 weeks and prepares the body for the destruction of worms.
- Antiparasitic treatment – drugs are prescribed for helminths. The most effective guarantee of such drugs:
- Trichopol – tablets with the active substance – metronidazole. Dosage – for children of 3–7 years 1–1.5 tablets once a day; children 7–10 years old – 2 times a day, 1 tablet; children who have reached the age of 10, as well as adults – 2 times a day, 2 tablets. The course of treatment is 5 days. Contraindications – renal failure, pregnancy, lactation. Side effects – nausea, dizziness, cystitis, dermatitis. Price – from 80 rubles.
- Nemozol – tablets with active ingredient Albendazole. The dose of the drug – 10-15 mg per 1 kg of human body weight. Take pills 1 time per day with meals. The treatment lasts 5-7 days. Contraindications – pregnancy, lactation, kidney and liver disease. Side effects – vomiting, abdominal pain, headaches, skin rash, fever. Price – from 185 rubles.
- Tiberal – tablets with the active substance Ornidazole. For children whose weight has not reached 35 kg, the dose is calculated as follows: 25 mg of medicine per 1 kg of body weight. Adults are prescribed 3 tablets. They are accepted in the evening at a time. The course of treatment is 1-2 days. Contraindications – CNS disease, hypersensitivity, pregnancy. Side effects – nausea, convulsions, dermatitis. Price – from 70 rubles.
- Macmiror – tablets with the active substance Nifuratel. Calculation of the dose for children – 15 mg of medicine per 1 kg of weight. Adults are prescribed 2 tablets 2 or 3 times a day. The course of treatment is 7 days. Contraindications – pregnancy, lactation. Side effects – nausea, heartburn, bitterness in the mouth. Price – from 820 rubles.
- Furazolidone – tablets with the active component Furazolidone. Adults are prescribed 0.1 g of the drug 4 times a day. The daily dose for children is 10 mg of medicine per 1 kg of weight. It is divided into 4 receptions. The course of treatment may not exceed 10 days. Contraindications – renal failure, pregnancy, lactation, disorders of the nervous system. Side effects – nausea, itchy skin, dermatitis, allergies. Price – from 70 rubles.
Furazolidone – 20 tablets
- Restoring and enhancing the body’s defenses – provides for the regulation of nutrition and the use of enzymatic and bacterial preparations.
It is possible to cure giardiasis and folk remedies. For this plant components are used. Here are some simple and effective recipes:
- Tincture of garlic – in 200 g of vodka, place 50 g of minced garlic. Infuse the remedy for 7 days in a tightly closed bottle. Take the tincture you need 7-10 days, 3 times a day 30 minutes before meals, dripping 20 drops in 1/3 cup of water.
- Oats – 250 g of oats is poured over 1 liter of water and put on the fire. Boil should be until 1/4 of the volume is evaporated. Drink 4 times a day for 0.5 glass. The course of treatment is 10-14 days.
- Infusion on corn stigmas – 1 tbsp. a spoonful of corn stigmas is poured 200 ml of boiling water, then infused for 3 hours. Drink 4 times a day for 1 tbsp. a spoon. The treatment lasts 7-15 days.
Throughout the course of treatment, you must follow a diet. It provides for the exclusion of simple carbohydrates, which include flour, sweet, sausages. The basis of the diet should be porridge cooked on water, fruits, vegetables, dairy products. Fruit juices, herbal teas are very helpful.
Follow the diet in the treatment of giardiasis.
To minimize the risk of lamblia infection, you need to follow simple rules:
- Wash hands thoroughly before each meal.
- Drink only filtered or boiled water.
- Wash fruits, vegetables.
- Do not swim in ponds where beaches are not provided.
- Do not bite your nails.
- Regularly conduct anthelmintic prophylaxis for pets.
If you suspect giardiasis, you should seek the advice of a competent doctor. He will prescribe a diagnosis and an optimal course of treatment. The presence of Giardia should definitely check all family members, if one of them revealed parasites.
Rate this article (eleven ratings, average 4.00 from 5)