Fucidin (fusidic acid) is a polycyclic antibiotic.
It is indicated for infections caused by Staphylococcus aureus, Staphylococcus epidermidis and methicillin-resistant strains of Staphylococcus aureus: infectious inflammation of bones, periosteum, bone marrow, septicemia (blood poisoning), inflammation of the lungs, inner lining of the heart, cystic fibrosis, wound infections, infection of the lung, inner lining of the heart, cystic fibrosis, wound infections
The average duration of the drug course is 7 days. If necessary, the doctor may extend the course of pharmacotherapy up to 14 days.
Antibiotic. It has a bacteriostatic or bactericidal effect.
Terms of sale from pharmacies
Can be bought without a doctor’s prescription.
How much does Fucidin in pharmacies? The average price in 2018 is at the level of 580 rubles.
Composition and release form
Fucidin released in the dosage form:
- Cream for external use 2%, 15 g in aluminum tubes. One tube per pack;
- Ointments for external use 2%, 15 g in aluminum tubes. One tube per pack;
- Cream for external use containing fusidic acid and hydrocortisone, 15 g in aluminum tubes. One tube per pack.
Fucidin – an antibiotic that has a bacteriostatic or bactericidal effect. Inhibits protein synthesis by inhibiting the factor required for translocation of protein subunits and elongation of the peptide chain, which leads to the death of the pathogen.
Highly active against Staphylococcus spp., Staphylococcus aureus and Staphylococcus epidermidis, Nocardia asteroides, Clostridium spp.
Less active against Streptococcus spp., Enterococcus spp., Neisseria spp., Bacteroides spp., Mycobacterium tuberculosis, Mycobacterium leprae.
Indications for use
Fucidin in the form of ointment and cream is intended for application to the skin for therapeutic purposes, as part of complex therapy for diseases caused by microorganisms sensitive to fusidic acid:
- pustular lesions;
- eczema weeping, complicated by the accession of a secondary bacterial infection.
Fucidin is not prescribed for hypersensitivity to the active or auxiliary components of the drug.
Fucidin in combination with hydrocortisone is not prescribed:
- In cases of skin tuberculosis;
- With pink acne;
- With primary skin infections that are caused by bacteria, fungi, or herpes viruses or chicken pox;
- With skin manifestations of syphilis;
- In cases of perioral dermatitis;
- When hypersensitivity to the drug;
- Children up to two years.
Appointment during pregnancy and lactation
Nursing mothers and pregnant women should not apply ointment or cream on large areas of skin. Fucidin is prescribed in the period of childbearing and lactation only in cases where it is impossible to choose an alternative drug.
Dosage and method of use
As indicated in the instructions for use Fucidin in the form of cream and ointment is used only externally. The drug is applied in a thin layer on the affected skin and left to absorb. The tool should be applied to pre-cleaned and dried code 4 times a day. If necessary, in case of severe skin diseases, an ointment or cream can be applied under an occlusive gauze bandage, in this case the drug is used only 2 times a day.
The duration of the course of drug treatment is from 7 to 14 days. In the absence of improvements to the 5th day from the start of therapy, the patient should again consult a doctor to clarify the diagnosis and correct the treatment prescribed.
Undesirable effects when using Fucidin are extremely rare and can be as follows:
- On the part of the skin and subcutaneous tissues: rash, irritation, contact dermatitis, urticaria, eczema
- Visual organ: conjunctival irritation
For intravenous and oral administration: spasm of veins, thrombophlebitis, nausea and vomiting, anaphylaxis, anemia, asthenia, drowsiness
Overdose of the drug is unlikely (especially when using external forms). It is theoretically possible to change the liver, the appearance of disorders of the digestive tract, jaundice.
No marked cross-sensitivity to other antibiotics.
It should be borne in mind that fusidic acid can be used in cases of impaired renal function and in cases when the use of other antibiotics is contraindicated.
In severe infections, as well as in cases where long-term treatment is necessary, fuzidovuyu acid should be combined with other antibiotics active against staphylococci, in order to reduce the risk of developing resistance.
Compatibility with other drugs
With simultaneous use of colestyramine, the formation of insoluble complexes occurs, which leads to a decrease in the concentration of fusidic acid in the blood plasma.
With simultaneous use of fusidic acid with penicillins resistant to penicillinases, cephalosporins, erythromycin, rifampicin, lincomycin, additive effect or synergism is observed.
We offer to read the reviews of people who used Fucidin:
- Tanya. Ointment – a strong antibiotic. After I had had the flu, a small spot appeared on my hand, which darkened in the sun. The dermatologist determined that this is a type of lichen that can be easily picked up in the summer, even in public transport. He prescribed this ointment to me – “Fucidin,” he said to smear until the stain disappeared, and a week later he was gone. The remedy is good, at an affordable price, and strong. I think if I were prescribed something else, then perhaps the treatment would be delayed. Now lies, just in case. In the pharmacy where I purchased it, they no longer sell it, they said it was rare.
- Olga Used the tool in the form of ointment. Removes skin inflammation, suppuration. You can smear pimples. Acts quickly, very effectively. Became a favorite medicine, thanks to the indispensability, effectiveness. Never failed. Treats antibiotics, therefore too often you will not use. I had to search for sale. Not in any pharmacy for sale, although his price is average. Explained by the fact that the cream of this group is rare.
Structural analogues of the active substance:
- Sodium fusidate;
- Fuzidievuyu acid;
- Fuzidin sodium;
- Fuzidin sodium tablets;
- Fucidin G;
Before buying an analogue, consult your doctor.
Shelf life and storage conditions
The drug must be protected from children. The cream is stored at temperatures up to 25 ° C. Ointment stored at temperatures up to 30 ° C. Shelf life 3 years.