Some people are faced with a rather unpleasant phenomenon, such as heartburn in the throat. The causes of this condition, from the point of view of medicine, are the contact of the gastric juice with the mucous membrane of the esophagus. As a result, the person feels a burning sensation. How to get rid of it? It is necessary to study that heartburn in a throat, the reasons, ways of elimination of the unpleasant phenomenon did not torment any more.
Heartburn is a burning sensation that occurs in the chest and throat. This may cause nausea, bloating, belching, bitter or sour taste.
Up to 40% of people suffer from heartburn. For some, it is rare. Someone feels this unpleasant feeling systematically.
However, even those who regularly suffer from heartburn in the throat, the reasons for this condition are in no hurry to find. They do not go to the doctor. At the same time, they consider that everyone has an unpleasant phenomenon and does not bear any consequences. But if you do not treat this condition, then heartburn will become permanent. A person can not eat normally and lead a normal life.
To neutralize the burning is possible by drinking a glass of water. If this does not help, take special medications. With the constant appearance of heartburn, be sure to contact a specialist. After all, it can be a symptom of gastritis, cholecystitis or ulcers.
Remember! If heartburn is accompanied by belching, then the source of the problem most often is gastritis or an ulcer.
Heartburn in the throat: causes
What can be the basis of the occurrence of this state?
Burning in the esophagus results from:
- increased acidity and sensitivity of the mucous membranes;
- gastric diseases, cholecystitis;
- frequent medication;
- nervous conditions;
- weakening of the muscles of the esophagus;
- hiatal hernia;
In addition, heartburn can be caused by bad habits and abnormal lifestyle:
- Snack on the go, bad chewing food.
- Overeating (the stomach stretches and releases a lot of acid).
- Smoking and alcohol.
- Passion for spicy foods, sweets, chocolate, carbonated drinks and coffee.
- Eating right before bedtime.
- Excessive citrus use.
- Excess weight.
- Wearing corsets.
- Great physical exertion.
Burning in the esophagus and throat, belching – from these phenomena, you can get rid of yourself at home. But if these sensations arise constantly, urgent consultation with a specialist is necessary. It is important to find out what is the cause of heartburn in the throat, and to find an adequate treatment.
If an unpleasant condition is accompanied by bloody stools, vomiting with blood, pain in the chest and back, increased sweating, then an urgent help of a doctor is needed.
- sour or bitter eructation;
- burning in the upper region of the stomach and in the chest;
- pouring an unpleasant liquid to the throat;
- heaviness in the stomach;
- lump in the throat;
- the return of food into the oral cavity during the narrowing of the lower part of the esophagus;
Consequences of pathology
What can lead to heartburn in the throat? The reasons and the consequences you can explain in detail the doctor, with a visit to which you should not hesitate.
Heartburn leads to a number of serious complications:
- If gastric juice enters the esophagus, burns may occur. This triggers weight loss, dehydration, and bleeding. As a result, ulcers can form that heal over time. They lead to a narrowing of the esophagus.
- With the formation of a large number of healed ulcers, even death is possible. This is most often caused by damage to the walls of the esophagus.
- Long-term heartburn can also signal the development of gastric cancer.
- The appearance of caries is one of the consequences of this disease.
Regular prophylaxis and counseling with specialists will help prevent the consequences of heartburn.
Diet for pathology
Initially, you should revise your diet, if you often suffer from heartburn in the throat. The reasons are enclosed in casting the contents of the stomach into the esophagus. So, you should choose a food that will minimize such phenomena.
When burning in the esophagus is necessary:
- Remove spicy, fatty, smoked and sweet foods from the diet, citrus fruits, alcohol, coffee and tea, fatty dairy products, carbonated drinks.
- Dishes are steamed, boiled or baked.
- Shown to eat: bran bread, dark rice, durum wheat products, meat and fish, green tea, cereal. For dessert – bananas and fruit and berry compotes.
Treatment: methods and means
Struggling with this condition mainly conservative methods. The patient is prescribed medications.
In exceptional cases, heartburn requires surgery. Such measures are carried out when no other therapy helps.
Of course, the best cause of heartburn after eating in the throat is to discuss with your doctor. And it is with the doctor to choose the best methods of dealing with this state. But what if the unpleasant phenomenon took by surprise?
The most common way to get rid of heartburn at home is soda. It reduces burning sensation and neutralizes acid. Take soda, dissolving one teaspoon of the product in water. But doctors do not recommend using this method of getting rid of heartburn often. The reason is that soda contributes to the retention of water in the body and affects the elasticity of blood vessels. And this complicates the activity of the heart. Therefore, it can not be taken by people with high blood pressure.
Also, do not recommend using soda pregnant. After all, its reception contributes to the formation of edema, from which most expectant mothers are already suffering.
There are other folk remedies for the treatment of heartburn, which do not cause such harm as soda:
- juices (freshly squeezed) – potato, carrot;
- non-carbonated mineral water (alkaline);
- a teaspoon of vegetable oil;
- herbal tea (from Hypericum, plantain, chamomile);
- tincture of centaury or calamus root;
- viburnum berries (fresh, dried);
- crushed eggshell;
- pumpkin seeds;
- peas, fresh or dried (it is chewed for a long time).
If the use of these funds does not lead to the desired result, then begin taking medications.
Initially, it should be realized that without the treatment of the underlying disease, heartburn in the throat is practically not eliminated. Causes and treatment are very closely related. If you do not deal with the source of the problem, the heartburn suppressed by the medicines will come back.
Medicines for treating heartburn are divided into:
- Antacids. They neutralize hydrochloric acid. This group includes drugs: Almagel, Gastal, Fosfalyugel, Gastatsid, Maalox, Renny, Venter. These drugs can have side effects, which include constipation or diarrhea. Therefore, before taking medication, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
- Homeopathic remedies. They have no side effects. When prescribing these drugs by a doctor who calculates the dose, these drugs are effective. They are able to relieve the patient from heartburn and related symptoms for a long time.
- Antisecretory drugs. Reduce the formation of gastric juice. This group includes drugs: Omez, Orthanol, Noflux, Omeprazole. Contraindicated in pregnancy and lactation.
- Drugs that reduce the volume of gastric juice. These include medications: Ranitidine, Gistak, Famotidine. Assign during pregnancy with caution.
- Drugs that protect the epithelium mucosa. When they are received on the walls of the esophagus, a gel film is formed. These include the drug Gaviscon. It can be taken during pregnancy.
Expectant mothers without consulting a doctor to reduce heartburn can take:
- Activated carbon and Smektu. These are natural products that cleanse the gastrointestinal tract.
- Medicines that improve digestion: Mezim, Pancreatin, Festal.
Also for pregnant women suffering from heartburn, you must follow the daily regimen and diet.
Doctors recommend that you follow a number of simple rules to protect your body from the occurrence of an unpleasant state.
To prevent heartburn should:
- Balanced and properly eat, limit food intake, which contributes to the appearance of heartburn. These are: citrus, carbonated drinks, salty, spicy, fried dishes, sweets, coffee, strong tea, alcohol. Do not overeat.
- Avoid excessive physical exertion.
- Regularly undergo endoscopic examination in the clinic. This is a study that examines the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum. In addition, a biopsy is done to determine the composition and structure of internal tissues.
As you can see, a rather unpleasant condition is heartburn in the throat. Causes, treatment should be treated only by a doctor. But it is much better not to fight further with the complications of the disease, to constantly remember about prevention.