Most of the representatives of the stronger sex ignore the appearance of such a symptom as frequent urination, arguing their behavior by the absence of pain. Often, this behavior of men leads to the fact that dysuric disorders begin to restrict privacy, social adaptation, and also degrade the quality of lifestyle. Inattention to the symptom leads to the development of serious diseases and complicates the process of treatment. That is why with the appearance of frequent urination, it is important to understand as soon as possible what is meant by frequent night urination in a man.
More about urination
During the day, a person normally emits about 75% of the liquid consumed, which is approximately 1500 ml. The rest of the fluid is excreted through the skin and intestines.
The number of urinations in a healthy person who does not have problems with the urinary system does not exceed 5-6 times. If visits to the toilet happen more often, you should pay attention to the state of your body and, if possible, seek the help of a specialist in a medical institution.
The number of urges to the toilet can talk about the state of not only urinary, but also the reproductive system. The presence of serious diseases may indicate frequent urination in men at night. Causes, treatment, diagnosis can only be carried out by a specialist.
Frequent urination is a phenomenon in which the number of trips to the toilet exceeds six times.
Currently, there are several varieties of this pathological condition:
- frequent urination after physical activity, occurring in people with urolithiasis;
- frequent urination in men without pain at night as a symptom of prostate disease;
- frequent urging to the toilet at night and the complete absence of such in the daytime as a symptom of neurotic states.
It is worth noting that the cause of frequent urination at night in women, neurotic conditions are more often than in the stronger sex.
Frequent urination in men. Possible causes of the symptom
Frequent urination can be a symptom of many diseases.
Here are some of them:
- acute and chronic cystitis;
- acute and chronic urethritis;
- prostate diseases, prostate adenoma;
- cancer of the prostate gland;
- bladder hyperactivity;
- mental illness.
The above diseases are serious pathological conditions of the urinary system. That is why it is extremely important to timely contact a specialist in a medical institution.
Diagnostics. When should I contact a specialist?
It is mandatory for a man to consult a doctor if:
- the urge to go to the toilet suddenly occurs after a short period of time and becomes strong, barely restrained;
- unknown causes of frequent urination in men at night, there are multiple awakenings at night;
- the number of urination exceeds six, can reach ten or more times;
- the process of urination becomes difficult and requires effort from the man;
- small amount of fluid excreted during urination.
In addition, a man may experience associated symptoms, including fever, chills, fever, malaise, dizziness, pain in the lumbar region. A man should also be alerted by an unusual discharge from the urethra during urination.
During the initial visit to a specialist, the doctor will ask about the patient’s lifestyle, clarify the amount of fluid consumed. A particular diagnosis is established by a specialist after receiving the results of research, namely:
- a clinical blood test to exclude or confirm the presence of inflammatory processes in the body of a man;
- biochemical analysis of blood, giving comprehensive information on the amount of uric acid, urea, as well as the condition of the kidneys;
- clinical analysis of urine, which allows to determine the presence of salts, protein, blood particles, mucus of unknown origin.
If the above tests are not enough to diagnose, the doctor may prescribe additional studies, such as:
- ultrasound of the kidneys and bladder;
- urethral smear with bacposal;
- CT scan.
The latter method is appointed by a specialist if the ultrasound results show the presence of stones in one or both of the patient’s kidneys, but do not accurately determine their size.
Symptom of possible genital infections
Indiscriminate sexual relations without special contraceptives can cause the appearance of genital infections in men, one of the main symptoms of which will be frequent urination. The causative agents of pathological conditions are pathogenic microorganisms, whose vital activity contributes to the defeat of the prostate and seminal vesicles. The number of urges to the toilet increases.
Thus, the causes of frequent urination in men at night may hide in the presence of the following diseases of the reproductive system:
In this case, frequent urination may be accompanied by severe pain. In case of chlamydia, frequent toilet habits are observed exclusively during the period of general weakening of the immunity, as a result of which the number of pathogenic bacteria increases dramatically.
For the treatment of frequent urination, which is a symptom of a serious disease, various groups of drugs are used.
Here are the main directions of treatment:
- Means with diuretic properties, which are based on plant materials. Such drugs contribute to the discharge of calculus and the release of toxins, as well as increase diuresis.
- Drugs that contribute to the normalization of the acidic environment of urine. Preparations of this group are prescribed by a specialist, if the causes of frequent urination in men at night lie in the presence of stones and crystals in the kidneys.
- Uroantiseptics with bactericidal properties and contributing to the destruction of pathogens.
- Antibiotics, which are prescribed by the attending physician, if urogenital infections and STDs are the cause of frequent urination in men at night.
- Antiprotozoal drugs designed to destroy the simplest organisms such as chlamydia, ureaplasma.
- Medicines with antiviral action. They are prescribed by a specialist if frequent urination is a symptom of a viral infection.
- For the treatment of diseases of the prostate gland, experts prescribe selective alpha-adrenoreceptor blockers.
Competent treatment can only appoint a specialist narrow profile after all the necessary research and history taking. Self-treatment is strictly prohibited.
Prevention of frequent urination in men
Prevention of the occurrence of this phenomenon should necessarily be carried out only if frequent urination in men is a dangerous symptom of a particular disease.
In all other cases, prevention is not necessary.
In order not to exclude the development of urological diseases, it is necessary to follow a few very simple rules.
- Sexual acts must be protected.
- Healthy eating and avoiding alcohol. Control the amount of salt consumed.
- Regular visits to the doctor. Compliance with all the recommendations and advice of a specialist.
The risk group includes men older than fifty years. According to statistics, it is men in this age group that develop diseases of the prostate and urinary system.
In addition, the risk zone includes males who have promiscuous sexual relations, as a result of which sexual infections appear, accompanied by frequent urination.
When frequent urination is considered a natural phenomenon?
This situation can be normal if a person consumed a large amount of fluid within 24 hours. In addition, for some people, a similar symptom may be the body’s response to a stressful situation.
In addition, frequent urination may be caused by the following factors:
- taking drugs that have a diuretic effect;
- eating foods – diuretics;
- addiction to beer, other alcoholic beverages;
- hypothermia, cold.
In the above situations, an excessive amount of trips to the toilet is the norm.
Late appeal to a specialist in a medical institution may lead to exacerbation of symptoms and to the further development of diseases.
It is not necessary to exclude the psychological factor. Frequent urination can worsen the quality of a man’s lifestyle, affect his intimate life, social adaptation. Problems with the urinary system can lead to a fall in male self-esteem.
In addition, it should be understood that the presence of cancer can speak of such a seemingly innocuous symptom as frequent night urination in men, the causes of which need to be established as soon as possible.
Frequent urination may occur as a result of stressful situations. In this case, this pathological condition does not require medical intervention and disappears after some time. In all other cases, should urge frequent urination in men. Causes, treatment and additional recommendations are prescribed by a doctor.
It is extremely important to consult a specialist in time, since an indifferent attitude to the problem that has arisen can aggravate the existing symptoms and contribute to the further development of pathological processes. As a result, the duration of treatment will be significantly increased.
In addition, it is worth remembering that frequent urination may signal the presence of a sexually transmitted infection in a man’s body. This situation can not only adversely affect the reproductive function of men, but also lead to infertility.