Blood vomiting is a condition that means that you have to call an ambulance or go to the emergency room yourself.
If you are vomiting blood, but the bleeding has been stopped quickly, in many cases one cannot be sure that it will not recur or the state of health does not approach the critical point.
Often vomiting with blood clots can be a symptom of a serious and dangerous problem for life. There are a number of different causes of vomiting with blood – all of which are discussed below.
What does the color of blood in vomiting mean?
The presence of bright red blood or bright blood streaks in vomiting of blood impurities indicates its freshness and recent occurrence due to rapid bleeding in the upper part of the digestive tract.
Dark red, brown and even black blood of the consistency of coffee grounds in the vomit may mean its long presence in the stomach and exposure to the effects of gastric juice.
Regardless of the color of blood, its content in vomiting indicates the presence of a serious pathology in the body. This is especially true when the patient loses a large amount of blood in the process of vomiting.
Smell of vomiting
The smell of vomit can be judged not only on the processes occurring in the gastrointestinal tract.
For example, the sour smell of vomiting may indicate a peptic ulcer or other processes with increased acid production. If food in the stomach stagnates, a rotten smell of vomit will be observed.
In case of intestinal obstruction, a smell of feces is characteristic of emetic masses. When alcohol substitutes or technical liquids are consumed, vomiting will have the characteristic smell of chemicals. With renal insufficiency, vomiting smells like ammonia, and with diabetes mellitus – with acetone.
Old or fresh blood?
If the blood in the vomit is bright red or contains bright blood streaks, it means that it is fresh, from recent or rapid bleeding in the upper part of the digestive tract.
But sometimes vomiting mass is dark red, brown or black (the color and consistency of coffee grounds). This means that for some time the blood was in the stomach and was exposed to gastric juice.
Whatever the color, vomiting of blood can indicate a serious health disorder if the patient loses a significant amount of blood.
Vomiting with blood – what to do?
Before taking action on vomiting, you need to determine the true cause of its occurrence. As a first aid, a person can be given water to flush the stomach, try to reduce nausea.
Generally, when vomiting is bleeding, it is very serious. This means that the body can not cope with the existing problem and asks for help. Such a manifestation is a serious signal to start the examination.
Causes of vomiting blood
What could it be? The causes of vomiting of blood are many. Here are just some of them:
- Vomiting with admixture of blood occurs if the gastric mucosa and the vessels of the esophagus are damaged. It appears as a result of the inflammatory process, if the internal organs were mechanically damaged, after taking certain medications. Also, if a person has ulcers, stomach cancer, esophagus.
- It is also the main symptom of varicose veins of the stomach wall. Bright red blood in vomitus indicates the presence of fresh bleeding. Such bleeding usually closes quickly and has no serious consequences. Dark blood in vomiting indicates a longer and slower bleeding, which can lead to a number of complications.
- Peptic ulcer is the main cause of bleeding from the upper GI tract. About 1/3 of bleeding is caused by ulceration of the stomach and duodenum.
- Acute gastritis. Blood in vomiting in this pathology occurs infrequently and is associated with the use of alcohol. Blood secretions, as a rule, are not large and end quickly.
- Cirrhosis of the liver. Vomiting of blood after drinking occurs when the walls of the esophagus begin to burst due to high pressure. Such bleeding is extremely dangerous, in this case, the help of a specialist is necessary.
It is important to remember that the presence of blood in the vomitus indicates internal bleeding. By the amount of blood can not be unambiguously judge its intensity. In any case, it can be life threatening.
Vomiting of blood after alcohol: causes
In people who exceed the norm, an unconditional reflex of rejection can be observed – vomiting with blood during alcohol. The process of nausea is necessary for the complete cleaning of the stomach from hazardous alcoholic toxins and complex substances.
Since intoxication occurs venous dilation of the stomach, gastric bleeding may occur, and blood comes out with vomiting. It is also worth noting that the presence of blood in vomiting may indicate an ulcerative lesion of the stomach, deepening to the level of blood vessels. In addition, the admixture of blood in the vomit after drinking alcohol in most cases is a sign of peptic ulcer.
Such symptoms occur during prolonged drinking or addiction, that is, the frequent ingestion of alcohol in large quantities.