Burn is a traumatic violation of the skin. Chemical harmful reagents or vapors and high temperatures of any substances become the main provocateurs of burn damage.
Medical practice burns of various types is divided into 4 degrees, each of which is characterized by its own symptoms:
- first degree – redness is observed on the injured skin;
- second degree – to the above symptom of the skin is added the formation of watery bubbles of various sizes;
- the third degree is characterized by the necrosis of the damaged tissues of the skin;
- fourth degree – charring of superficial and deep skin layers.
When receiving any degree of burn injury to the victim, it is important to urgently provide primary care. Further recovery of injured skin and immediate treatment of the injury itself depends on the timeliness of emergency procedures. For burns of 3 and 4 degrees, direct treatment should be provided only by qualified doctors. But the first and second degree burns can be treated with folk remedies.
When can you use folk remedies to treat burns?
Do not smear burns with oils
Doctors advise to treat any kind of burn damage (even the most minor) only under the supervision of a doctor. However, for injuries of grade 1 (when the injured part of the body is not more than 9%), it is possible to apply the treatment of burns with folk remedies.
It is strictly forbidden to use independent methods of treatment for traumatic damage to the eyes, respiratory tract, esophagus. In addition, after an electric shock (even after a minor injury), the victim is recommended to be examined by a doctor, as these types of injuries adversely affect the work of the heart muscle.
Folk remedies for burns are allowed to apply in consultation with the doctor, as an additional method of restoring the skin with a second degree burn and after a qualified treatment of third and fourth degree burns.
First aid for burns at home
After traumatic injury, the victim must be given primary care in a timely manner. Often, burn damage occurs in the domestic environment, so all actions are carried out at home. What methods of primary care are carried out to the victim?
- To stop the negative impact of the burn aggressor on the human body (to extinguish the fire, to stop the exposure to the skin of toxic chemicals, etc.).
- Rinse the damaged part of the body with a stream of cool water. To obtain a positive effect, the interaction of water on the skin of the victim should last at least half an hour.
- In case of chemical burn, neutralize the irritant. At defeat by alkalis neutralization is carried out by acids (solution of acetic or citric acid). In case of injury with acids, neutralization occurs with alkaline constituents (soda or soap solution).
- When blistering occurs on injured skin, the wound is disinfected. An antiseptic gauze bandage is applied to the skin.
- In case of acute pain to the affected person, it is important to take any anesthetic. Warm tea with mint, honey and milk serves as a national soothing drug.
Treatment of burns at home
After the provision of primary care, the victim is either taken to the clinic (for serious injuries), or using folk remedies for burns (for light and minor injuries).
It is important to observe some precautions that should not be used in the treatment of any type of burn injury:
- on an open wound is not recommended to impose fat-containing ointment. Such ointments are allowed to be applied at the final stage of treatment of injury, that is, when the damaged skin has recovered and needs additional moisturizing;
- The main treatment for burn damage should be based on the drying effect of the wound. Drying actions will help eliminate purulent reactions and speed up the regenerating process in the skin:
- when blistering is prohibited to violate their integrity, since such an action threatens to cause infection in an open wound;
- if the treatment of burns at home does not have a positive result or is accompanied by complications, then the use of folk recipes must be stopped or replaced with other folk remedies.
- for each type of burn injury, individual remedies for burns are applied.
Boiling water burn
- Toothpaste. After cooling the affected skin, a thick layer of toothpaste is applied to the wound for 2 hours. Then gently rinse the toothpaste with water. Such treatment of burns folk remedies has anesthetic and anti-edema effect.
- Tea. Compresses with tea brewing should be applied every 2 hours to the place of the burn. This tool relieves pain and contributes to the rapid recovery of the skin.
- Potato starch. In 200 ml of warm water dissolve 1 tbsp. spoonful of starch. Wet the soft tissue in the resulting solution and apply three times a day to the site of the burn.
- Cabbage leaf. Put a clean sheet of cabbage on the place of the burn for 30 minutes, then change the sheet to fresh. Such folk remedies for burns relieve pain, reduce inflammation.
- Aloe leaf Grind a few clean sheets of aloe into mush and attach to the damaged area. The tool has analgesic and restorative effects.
- Baking soda. Moisten the bandage in soda solution, change the bandage every 15 minutes. This home treatment for burns has an anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect.
- Beet. Grate fresh beets on a fine grater, apply the resulting mass to the damaged place, apply a gauze bandage on top. The mixture has an analgesic and regenerating effect.
- Sea buckthorn. Crush a few berries of fresh sea buckthorn into a uniform gruel and apply on the damaged area. Top wound tie with a bandage. Sea buckthorn has regenerating, soothing, anti-edematous and regenerating properties.
- Potatoes. Grate 1 fresh potato on a medium grater, add 1 teaspoon of honey to the contents, drain the excess juice. Gruel to attach to the sore spot for anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect.
- Egg yolk. In this case, you can use either raw egg yolks or boiled. Mix the yolks with a small amount of honey, apply to the skin. The tool has analgesic and wound-healing effect.
- Linseed oil. Mix 20 ml. linseed oil with 40 gr. wax Boil the mixture over low heat, cool and apply to the place of the burn on the skin. This composition has anti-edema and wound-healing properties.
- Charcoal. Crush a small amount of charcoal into a crumb and sprinkle a burn on it. The tool effectively relieves pain.
- Dairy products. Lubricate the inflamed skin with any fermented milk product for 30 minutes (sour cream, ryazhenka, kefir, whey). These folk remedies for sunburn relieve pain, eliminate redness and relieve swelling of the skin.
- Cucumber. Grate fresh cucumber on a coarse grater, apply gruel to damaged skin. From above to make a gauze bandage. Cucumber reduces inflammation, eliminates pain, cools the skin.
- Green tea. Brewing green tea to smear all the inflamed places on the skin. The product soothes inflamed skin, eliminates pain, reduces swelling of the skin.
- Raw Potatoes Gruel of grated raw potatoes, superimposed on the place of the burn, reduces inflammation, accelerates skin regeneration, restores immunity.
- Leaf plantain or burdock. Chop a fresh leaf of a medicinal plant, put gruel on a burn injury, make a gauze bandage on top. The folk method removes pain, eliminates inflammation, promotes faster healing of damaged tissues.
- Pumpkin juice. Lubricate sore skin with pumpkin juice several times a day. Juice regenerates the skin, has an anesthetic and anti-inflammatory effect.