Most motorists when buying a car are interested in the consumption of lubricants. Can the answer to this common question give an unambiguous assessment of the technical condition of the “iron horse”?
It is generally accepted that the increased consumption of oil in the engine suggests that the machine is not all right. In the case when the flow rate increases dramatically, and the refilling is carried out on an ongoing basis, clearly, you should look for the cause, carry out inspection, diagnostics and repair. Usually the car owner is set to the standard indicators determined by the manufacturer, but when he looks at the dipstick and sees overruns, the first thing that comes to mind is the thought of a breakdown and upcoming major investments. In addition, it is an additional cost of car maintenance. Periodically check the level of lubrication should be taken as a rule, but let’s look at the causes of excessive oil in the engine.
Where does the oil go?
Increased oil consumption in the engine does not always indicate its deplorable state, in addition, its unchanged level also does not indicate the normal state of the engine. All internal combustion engines must consume fuel, the question is how long it goes. There are several reasons for different consumption volumes, but conditionally they can be divided into two groups:
- Regular, associated with the design feature of the engine;
- Frequent, indicating the wear of parts and failures in the settings.
Lubricant inevitably seeps into the combustion chamber in the direction of the pistons and valves. Inevitable waste of oil on the intake through the crankcase ventilation system, crankcase gases carry a small amount of lubricant. Turbocharged engines require lubrication of turbine parts. The most commonplace reason for increased spending: if the lubricant is not angry, then leaked, hence the high consumption of oil.
In this article we will not go deep into diagnostics of a leak, replacement of epiploons and laying, and we will place emphasis on waste.
Diagnose Excessive Oil Fat
The simplest diagnostic tool to evaluate lubrication waste is a visual assessment of exhaust gases. If the auto-oil enters the exhaust system, then the exhaust at high revs is gray smoke, the combustion of high-quality gasoline does not give such a color to gases. For comparison, in case of malfunctions in the injection system, black smoke is emitted from the exhaust pipe, these are already symptoms of another disease.
There is another way to detect a permanent burning out of the suit for a long period: a black oily formation is growing at the edges of the exhaust pipe. More accurately determine the ingress of oil into the exhaust system by diagnosing using a gas analyzer.
Rate your driving style. The mode of operation of the internal combustion engine directly affects the oil consumption in the engine. When working at high speeds, the pressure and temperature of the lubricant increases, when heated, its viscosity decreases, therefore, more lubricant seeps into the working cylinders, which leads to increased oil consumption.
Many mistakenly tied to the rate of consumption per thousand kilometers. Operation in the urban cycle is marked by a constant change in revolutions, frequent starting and stopping of the engine, idle time at idle, which is different from driving on the highway. Uniform movement at a speed of about 100 km / h in fifth gear and driving style at higher revs with constant overtaking will show different fuel consumption, different waste.
It is much easier to come to the conclusion that the lubricant will burn away above the norm, than to identify the reason explaining the increased frenzy.
The main reasons for the engine oil burned in the engine
- Wrong oil is poured. It is not suitable for the parameters of your engine. If the suit is too liquid, then it inevitably seeps into the combustion chamber. Viscous oil will form a thicker film, and remain on the inner surface of the cylinders, more float and burn off. They can not boast of properties that reduce evaporation, poor quality oil forgery and counterfeit. I am glad that flushing the engine and changing the oil will help eliminate the first cause. For extended mileage, synthetic oil is recommended to change to semi-synthetics, often it helps to reduce consumption. Be sure to take into account the recommendations of the car manufacturer.
- Worn oil-reflecting caps (or valve seals) due to poor-quality rubber, temperature fluctuations or destruction of the structure due to the use of an unsuitable lubricant. Valve oil seals are inexpensive, and their replacement is not very time consuming, however, such an operation significantly reduces the loss of oil.
- Worn piston rings. The problem is solved by replacing them, and this is a major overhaul. In some cases, decoction helps, that is, a short-term engine load at maximum speed, more often this procedure can remove carbon from the rings if the car has not been used for a long time. There is a wide offer of special auto chemistry on sale, but the sellers will not be able to guarantee a positive result of the decoction, and they will prefer to keep silent about the effect of the additives on the service life.
- The production of cylinders, namely the wear or damage to their inner surface. In this case, without resorting to an overhaul of the engine, you can change the oil to a more viscous one and put up with constant refilling, still cheaper than a major overhaul. This measure is temporary, and the most appropriate solution would be to replace the engine entirely.
- Due to the destruction of inter-valve bridges on the piston, the combustion chamber seal deteriorates, as a result of which the pressure of crankcase gases is injected, and the oil from the crankcase is removed through the engine ventilation system through fuel injection.
- There is one more reason for turbocharged engines: an increase in the oil consumption in the engine is influenced by the malfunctioning of the turbine, therefore, repair or replace it.
Topping up or replacing?
Some motorists believe that with a constant refilling of oil, it is updated, and you can ignore another replacement. This is fundamentally wrong. It must be changed according to the regulations, as the filter is clogged and in the pan accumulated washed products of combustion, which do not go anywhere.
Good luck, drive without breakdowns and smooth roads!